Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

11 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Here we are

Curse my overhyping personality...

I thought we'd at least get something new gameplay wise like showing us how puzzles work, or our inventory. 

I really dont want to see more rooms as its just going to spoil the surprise and take away from exploration.

If i had a release date I'd stop checking these and just wait it out haha

Its weird... this feels like step down from last weeks which had dialogue and 2 rooms. It feels like it should have been posted earlier maybe before the Melee Island clip.

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Rum Rogers pointed out on Twitter that those 3 pirates in the shop look an awful lot like the original 3 pirate leaders.

My guess about what the pirate leaders are doing there is that since the new leaders got rid of them, they've imposed a whole new different set of 3 trials that you need to pass to become a pirate, and having been kicked out of the pirate club they are now working in this fish shop while they try to live up to the new pirates' weird demands.

• Like 2

Sorry for the moan a second a go.

On a more positive note, the pirates in this shot really remind of hd spirites of mi 1 or 2. 

Its really clever how much it captured the feel of sprites (where you can make out what they are but there is room to use your imagination to fill in the blanks) while still being modern.

Also the background is great too.

12 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

@Rum Rogers pointed out on Twitter that those 3 pirates in the shop look an awful lot like the original 3 pirate leaders.

My guess about what the pirate leaders are doing there is that since the new leaders got rid of them, they've imposed a whole new different set of 3 trials that you need to pass to become a pirate, and having been kicked out of the pirate club they are now working in this fish shop while they try to live up to the new pirates' weird demands.

Omg your right! I didn't recognise them straight away. 

At first I thought the 3 pirates in the scumm bar were reimagined versions of them. I didn't realise they were new characters.

Edited by Toymafia88

So the plot of Return is that Guybrush has a diminished lung capacity from drinking too much grog and he can't even win a belching contest let alone hold his breath for three minutes. His sole superpower is GONE and we still have a game. Take that, Marvel!

By the way, I had this scene on repeat in the background now for 15 minutes. Something is wrong with me.

Somehow I have the feeling that the solution to this puzzle is the longest belch in history, and that @Dmnkly intends to tell us that he got it right on the first take. 🤭

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Haha 5

Really enjoying the details in this one by the way. Each time I look at it I notice a new little animation detail, either in the foreground, background or characters.

I like all the little blinking eyes, moving fish, and I like the little subtle expressions on the pirates. Just real small eye movements but it really sells the thing for me.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Really enjoying the details in this one by the way. Each time I look at it I notice a new little animation detail, either in the foreground, background or characters.

I like all the little blinking eyes, moving fish, and I like the little subtle expressions on the pirates. Just real small eye movements but it really sells the thing for me.

ff.gif

This one gave me a small chuckle

• Haha 3

Wow in the original game the back of the store, including the shopkeeper’s safe, took up the same place as the alley. (The shopkeeper contained the portal to big whoop all along, if Guybrush had just interrogated the contents of the safe further…)

Funny how they "fixed" the interior of the store, which didn't match the exterior at all. Imagine Guybrush pointing that out, only to get a response like "You think that is weird? Remember how different the whole town looked when you returned from your honeymoon?", and then the topic is dropped forever.

oldStore.png

• Like 3
  • Chef's Kiss 2

2 hours ago, Marius said:

I wonder if the storekeeper lost the place because he was a creep towards Carla, who is now Governor and has the power to throw him out?

Clearly, the storekeeper was evicted by Stan for owing him 5,000 pieces'o'eight. 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

I can't believe I didn't clock that they were the original pirate leaders! Someone take me to Knuttin Atoll so I can claim a dunce cap :p It makes sense to see them again, given that there's a new trio taking over, it'd be weird to be left wondering where the OG went. The facial expression on Guybrush as he burps is fantastic, clearly they put a lot of effort into putting in plenty of custom animations. 

Others have cited the swordfighting book...I wonder if we have to collect a bunch of them for some reason, perhaps to learn whatever the new swordfighting mechanic is? I also like the idea of it being an in-game hintbook and various locations throughout the game have one for when you get stuck. 

Edited by OzzieMonkey

12 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

Somehow I have the feeling that the solution to this puzzle is the longest belch in history, and that @Dmnkly intends to tell us that he got it right on the first take. 🤭

I chugged every carbonated beverage I could find in the studio, but I'm going to have to give my belching a B-. The humdinger I was shooting for eluded me 😞

• Like 4
  • Haha 4