Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

3 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

Quick question: Did we have another character name reveal without me noticing?

https://monkeyisland.fandom.com/wiki/Captain_Madison

Where was she called "Captain Madison"?

The ReMI website says that "Hip, young pirate leaders led by Captain Madison have shuffled the old guard from power," but it doesn't actually identify which character that is.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Niemandswasser said:

The ReMI website says that "Hip, young pirate leaders led by Captain Madison have shuffled the old guard from power," but it doesn't actually identify which character that is.

"Towering one in the middle" is a good guess though. 😄

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Thrik said:

We already know their names. 😀

The special editions have them credited as Freddy/Fred, Franklin/Frank, and Phineas/Fin. MI2 uses the shorter forms.

That's the Men of Low Moral Fiber, isn't it? The Pirate Leaders don't appear in MI2 and one of the Low Moral Fiber men is named Frank. ("Frank! Make him quit it!")   I don't think the pirate leaders have canonical names yet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fentongames said:

That's the Men of Low Moral Fiber, isn't it? The Pirate Leaders don't appear in MI2 and one of the Low Moral Fiber men is named Frank. ("Frank! Make him quit it!")   I don't think the pirate leaders have canonical names yet.

Correct, the TSoMI Special Edition rolling credits calls them "Pirate Leader I", "Pirate Leader II" and "Pirate Leader III".

With the particular way Guybrush stumbles through the world, I'm uncertain whether they finally get names though.

Edited by Vainamoinen

48 minutes ago, Thrik said:

We already know their names. 😀

The special editions have them credited as Freddy/Fred, Franklin/Frank, and Phineas/Fin. MI2 uses the shorter forms.

While that's the Men of Low Moral Fiber as others have pointed out, I had no idea all three of them had names! I knew the tall one was Frank, but the other two I always assumed were nameless. I wonder if the names were in the script and just never vocalized or if they were given them for the sake of the credits? (Also, which one is Freddy and which one is Phineas?)

Oh yeah, I somehow misread about half of this thread. 😅 Right. I haven’t seen any evidence of names for the leaders.

You can figure out from the extracted resource files who is who, or the SE credits if you have a good ear for the actors.

Phineas/Fin is the guy in the barrel.

I’ll be gravely disappointed to not see those guys return. 

1 hour ago, Thrik said:

Oh yeah, I somehow misread about half of this thread. 😅 Right. I haven’t seen any evidence of names for the leaders.

You can figure out from the extracted resource files who is who, or the SE credits if you have a good ear for the actors.

Phineas/Fin is the guy in the barrel.

I’ll be gravely disappointed to not see those guys return. 

One of my very first thoughts after the announcement was that so far a Gilbert-helmed MI has meant the Men of Low Moral Fiber showing up somewhere, so it would only be appropriate for them to be in ReMI!

• Like 1

So i noticed they've been showing alot of Melee Island.

Do you think all old locations will be present (circus, forest, bridge, Stan's old ship area, Meathooks house etc)

Also with the new key shop, do you expect more locations we haven't seen on Melee Island.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Toymafia88 said:

So i noticed they've been showing alot of Melee Island.

Do you think all old locations will be present (circus, forest, bridge, Stan's old ship area, Meathooks house etc)

Also with the new key shop, do you expect more locations we haven't seen on Melee Island.

I kinda hope Melee Island is limited to the town/docks and the rest of the game is more heavily focused on Brr Muda/Terror Island and any other locations we may not know about. All I hope for is we get something new added to the world that is just as extensive and worthy of exploration as the places we're already familiar with. I hope for example that Brr Muda isn't limited to the courthouse and the building opposite that we saw last week. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I kinda hope Melee Island is limited to the town/docks and the rest of the game is more heavily focused on Brr Muda/Terror Island and any other locations we may not know about. All I hope for is we get something new added to the world that is just as extensive and worthy of exploration as the places we're already familiar with. I hope for example that Brr Muda isn't limited to the courthouse and the building opposite that we saw last week. 

Hmm I could see that being the case because we haven't seen anything outside the docks, lookout spot , town or governor mansion which could all be explored together without leaving the map. So its entirely possible we only explore a limited chunk of Melee Island with no map to walk around.

Edited by Toymafia88

Just now, Toymafia88 said:

Hmm actually yeah we haven't seen anything outside the docks, lookout spot , town or governor mansion which could all be explored together without leaving the map. So its entirely possible we only explore a limited chunk of Melee Island.

My guess is Part 1 is dedicated to Melee for a bit of indulgence in nostalgia and Part 2 onwards is new stuff until we reach Monkey Island. I'd like to think that the teases we're getting have purposely focused on early parts of the game so as not to spoil a good chunk of it. We haven't even seen the carnival or been given even the tiniest hint of how we get from there to pirate world again. 

• Like 1

I don't know if my expectations are way too high, but I was hoping we would get the same level of exploration Escape gave us, while being able to island-hopping Monkey 2 style. That meaning fully explorable Mêlée, Brr Muda, Terror Island. Then at the end of the game we get Monkey Island.

It would be interesting if we could come and go to Monkey Island as we please, it would be different and if there is a story reason it could work

With the pirate leaders we already have a lot of familiar faces now - and (if I haven't forgotten some) more than in any other game. Besides Guybrush, LeChuck, Elaine, the Voodoo Lady and Stan (who appear in every game), ReMI already has: the Lookout, the old Pirate Leaders, Carla, Otis, Murray, some Scumm-Bar people (the cook, Cobb), Wally and Herman Toothrot.

For comparison:
MI2: Men of low moral fiber, Herman Toothrot
CMI: Wally
EMI: Carla, Otis, Meathook, Murray
TMI: Murray

On one hand I'm happy to meet all those people again, on the other hand that's really a lot. I hope that many, many new characters will appear to balance that out. :)

Other than that, I really like new clip (especially the music)! It has, like almost everything so far, a beautifully melancholic mood, including Guybrush's expressions. 🥰

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BillyCheers said:

With the pirate leaders we already have a lot of familiar faces now - and (if I haven't forgotten some) more than in any other game. Besides Guybrush, LeChuck, Elaine, the Voodoo Lady and Stan (who appear in every game), ReMI already has: the Lookout, the old Pirate Leaders, Carla, Otis, Murray, some Scumm-Bar people (the cook, Cobb), Wally and Herman Toothrot.

For comparison:
MI2: Men of low moral fiber, Herman Toothrot
CMI: Wally
EMI: Carla, Otis, Meathook, Murray
TMI: Murray

On one hand I'm happy to meet all those people again, on the other hand that's really a lot. I hope that many, many new characters will appear to balance that out. :)

Other than that, I really like new clip (especially the music)! It has, like almost everything so far, a beautifully melancholic mood, including Guybrush's expressions. 🥰

Yeah, I almost made a post like this earlier. Curse also has Lemonhead, and Escape of course has Herman. Arguably, Secret has Cobb while Curse has Manny! ;) 

It does put Return on top as having the most returning characters, and we don't even know how far that goes.

Considering the Thimbleweed Park reaction from newcomers who didn't like/understand constant in-jokes, I wish they'd make all the Monkey Island games available on Switch.

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I hope that the sizable number of spoken lines (we're talking three quarters of Mass Effect 2 here 😃 ) means we'll get a sizable number of locations to explore.

It would be a bit of a disappointment if Mêlée Island is limited to docks, lookout point and governor's mansion, especially since there wouldn't be an overview map (SACRILEGE). I want all the overview maps. Mêlée, Monkey, Brr Muda, Terror Island + Dread's map. In fact, I'd love to control the ship a bit more directly on the overview map!

I'm kind of interested in returning to Stan's old shop. According to Stan on the website, these ships all sunk to the ground, so that would be an absolutely terrific location for somebody with ten minute air reserve lungs to explore.

I'm pretty convinced that Dave and Ron wouldn't just redo two entirely known islands and then add two more with just one or two locations on top. They know that this won't do the trick. There has to be a balance between the nostalgia and new, shocking and exciting – and they've struck the right chords for that with the graphic style already.

• Like 4

It's perhaps also the MI game that's most self-consciously a sequel since MI2, but I guess we'll know for sure when we play it.

CMI was more like a 'reset', obviously at the beginning and end it addressed a lot of MI2 stuff, but the main action was pretty self contained from that story.

EMI comes closer I think, In a way it sort of seems like the approach we'll get here - it almost follows on from where one game leaves off and then uses Melee Island as a kind of base camp for the rest of the story. But it's a very different version of Melee Island and so it feels a bit harder to connect the dots back to MI1, and after that the story introduces so many new elements of course.

Tales obviously self-consciously wanted to break direct continuity and imagined some other adventures happening between EMI and it, providing a buffer for another sort of 'reset'

With Return, we'll see how it lands.

Maybe the titles have something to say about their place in the series (this is a little tongue-in-cheek, but fun to think about):

Secret was about being let in to a fun but slightly mysterious world.

2: LeChuck's Revenge: was the first and only numbered sequel and already hints at a darker follow up.

Curse was about... the simultaneous blessing and curse of inheriting what MI2 left us with.

Escape was about escaping from tradition and embracing a maximalist, wild interpetation of what MI could be.

Tales was mainly just about telling a cool story in the universe, where there are many stories to tell.

Return is about getting back to the story Ron started telling, and finding a new way to tell it.

• Like 6

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there are even more returning characters we haven't seen yet. I doubt they'd want to spoil all the cameos and returning characters before the game comes out.

I think the reason why there is more returning characters in this game than any other is because according to the website, this is the conclusion to the Monkey Island series.

If that's true then it makes sense to bring back alot of characters to wrap it up nicely.

Oh while its on my mind, do you all really think this is the final Monkey Island?

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 1