Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

I am trying to figure out my feelings about it.

On the one hand, I thought it was a silly plot point, then and now.

On the other hand, it feels weird to ignore such a big story detail, even if I didn't like it.

On the other, other hand WAS it a big story detail? In the end the only thing that happens with it is he ends up being Governor, which we at least know isn't the case in ReMI, so maybe it's fine to just ignore it?

On the other, other, other hand, is it STILL going to feel weird to just have that plot point hanging?

On the other, other, other, other hand maybe the whole plot frame work and how they get from MI2 to the current story will also conveniently explain any weird discrepancies like this and we don't even have to worry.

• Like 2

I think the other component to it is that Mike Stemmle has said in his interview with Laura that he himself feels that this plot point was them trying a little too hard to leave their mark on the series' lore and fully supports any head canons where this plot point does not really exist. 

Granted there were other people who wrote the story, I think Mike being fine with the plot point being ignored goes a long way in it not being too big a deal. 

Edited by demone

2 hours ago, Wally B. said:

It's possible that it was always Ron's intention to make the Voodoo Lady an ambiguous character. After all, she did say to Guybrush to go find Big Woop in Monkey2 and we all know how THAT turned out!

I really like the Tales twist and it does explain some small incongruences in the other games regarding her character (like the fact that in Curse she said that Big Woop was evil and that Guybrush was an idiot for looking for it, after saying in Revenge that it was his only hope).

I am actually more curious to find out what they do with Herman though. I mean, Ron confirmed he went back to be a regular cook, so what happened since Escape? Did he just got hit in the head again? Was he never Horatio Torquemada to beginning with? Did he just get into philosophy again???

The HT Marley thing has always felt like a pretty easy thing to undo if they wanted. "But you told us you were Grandpa Marley!" "I'm a crazy old man with no pants, I tell people all sorts of things! The real question is why you listened to me in the first place."

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2022 at 9:27 PM, fentongames said:

Ron, Dave and Tim. Calling it!

I thought about it. I actually want them to be called Michael, Clint and Peter.

4 minutes ago, demone said:

Random thought, but damn, if they do also touch on the Voodoo Lady's ambitions, this game is going to be absolutely insane.

If they give her a more sinister vibe without being outright evil, I'd be absolutely okay with it. But I never saw the Telltale 'revelation' as anything besides part of LeChuck's plan to break up the heroes' bond.

3 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

If they give her a more sinister vibe without being outright evil, I'd be absolutely okay with it. But I never saw the Telltale 'revelation' as anything besides part of LeChuck's plan to break up the heroes' bond.

Yeah, my impression was she's neither good or evil but right in the middle (maybe leaning a bit more towards good). She's not controlling people or changing their nature, just guiding them and omitting key details. She is working to keep things on a certain path and I think those details could fit nicely into what is going on and revealed from the end of LeChuck's Revenge. 

Edited by demone
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

But I never saw the Telltale 'revelation' as anything besides part of LeChuck's plan to break up the heroes' bond.

She pretty much confirmed that what LeChuck told about her was true though, the game even highlights the fact that LeChuck wants revenge against her for being used in her "scheme". 

By the end of the game Elaine doesn't trust her, while Guybrush I guess still kinda does.

Also in the post-credit scene she looked pretty evil looking to me...

• Like 1

I see the Voodoo Lady as a kindred spirit with the writers and designers. She needs a protagonist and an antagonist to keep fighting each other, because this creates a narrative, and without a narrative the world of Monkey Island wouldn't have any sequels and would disappear.

"Have you ever heard the name Bobbin Threadbare?" as MI3 might put it.

Besides, she's been lying to Guybrush ever since MI2, when she "reminded" him that she made the root beer for him, and something made Guybrush "remember" that yes she did. Even though it never happened.

40 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

Besides, she's been lying to Guybrush ever since MI2, when she "reminded" him that she made the root beer for him, and something made Guybrush "remember" that yes she did. Even though it never happened.

Twist: she was the head cannibal the whole time!

I honestly can't wait to see this iconic area in Return of Monkey Island. 😍

I'm happy they haven't shown it yet.

monkey-island.jpg

Also do you think the Voodoo lady is in the same room as Secret of Monkey Island?

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, demone said:

My first thought is LeChuck. Anyone wanna place some bets lol

image.png

Knowing Ron he's messing with us and its a obscure returning character like the guy who sales you the map in mi1 or the rat from m1 and m2. 😂

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, demone said:

image.png

I really hope it's LeChuck, but there are lots of characters we haven't heard yet. It could be Elaine, Herman, Wally, Stan, I think if it isn't LeChuck then it'll probably be the Lookout. 

But yeah...I'm excited and nervous about who they've cast, but I trust that Ron and Khris Brown found someone good. It's just hard to picture anyone else but Earl Boen, and when I try my brain just goes to Adam Harrington, which was servicable but not ideal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, demone said:

image.png

he's seen the herman toothrot discussion itt and decided he needs to weigh in

edit: serious answer. we haven't heard from Elaine yet, and I want to hear from her. But my money's still on a bit of a gag like HT or something tbh.

Edited by Guybrush Transmasc
👫
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I really hope it's LeChuck, but there are lots of characters we haven't heard yet. It could be Elaine, Herman, Wally, Stan, I think if it isn't LeChuck then it'll probably be the Lookout. 

But yeah...I'm excited and nervous about who they've cast, but I trust that Ron and Khris Brown found someone good. It's just hard to picture anyone else but Earl Boen, and when I try my brain just goes to Adam Harrington, which was servicable but not ideal. 

With all due respect to the actor, the main problem I had with Adam was that he sounded like someone trying too hard to be a villain. The "HAR, HAR, HAR" just didn't work for me. Earl Boen just made his villainy seem so organic. Curse was my first Monkey Island game and LeChuck's monologues at the end actually frightened me as a child, in a good way. Up until that point, I was used to harmless and stereotypical cartoon villains. LeChuck was the first instance of me realizing that the villains in media can actually torture and kill people. The conversation between Guybrush and LeChuck at the end of Curse not only fascinated me, but horrified me as well lol Again, in a good way.

Edited by demone
  • Like 1

Earl Born would have been great on one hand. But in the end … I’m not completely sure it would have been the perfect match for this LeChuck. I really love the look this time and can very well imagine a much more frightening voice this time.

Boen’s always had much energy, it was very theatrical, almost campy (in a good way!). And although I could listen to him talk forever, I always thought he was a bit too clean, too “normal” for the MI2 LeChuck. So I think this could be the chance to give him a really horrifying voice. I think I’d prefer that to a simple Boen imitation… but we’ll see.

Edited by BillyCheers
  • Like 3

I also would like a different take on Le Chuck's voice. 

No offence to the voice actor who voiced Le Chuck for Tales in episode 1 but I found it jarring where it drifted in and out of sounding like Earl Boen and then not.

I think its better to have a voice actor do their own thing, i'm also all for an even more sinister threatening voice.

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 2

It it's LeChuck, that would mean that it's not the same voice as Judge Plank, which in turn would mean that Judge Plank is not an alias of LeChuck! And it's so embarrassing when my bold predictions go wrong. 😔

It might be Elaine, which is dangerous spoiler terrain, because her whereabouts, calling and relationship to our protagonist is still very much an enigma.

... I think it's Elaine.

But I'd be ready for a deliberately falsified teaser (like for "The Siege of Spinner Cay". That was awesome.)

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Like 1

I think from a marketing perspective, LeChuck makes a lot of sense. He's voiced by someone different, unless they actually did convince Earl and want to surprise us, so I think it would really excite people to hear his voice. 

If not, the Voodoo lady would be my next bet. If so, I hope they use her voice actress from Tales. I found her take to be absolutely perfect.