Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

Woah, LeChuck sounds different, but I already like him. It's like the art style, it's eerie at first, but I grow to like it quickly. I'm glad they were looking for a new voice, instead of an Earl Boen imitator.

Also, I love the super exaggerated mouth sprites, my god. :lechuck:

• Like 2

Every time I see a new Rex character, I think "This can not possibly be a minor character. They probably have a HUEG role to play."

Also, can we start with the upside down ghost memes already? Thanks.

The absence of the violinist is getting annoying! 🥺

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BillyCheers said:

Not so sure what to think of those "Blablas"... Is it supposed to be funny? Doesn't "sound" like LeChuck to me... 😅

It's like the POV of an employee in a meeting with their toxic boss.

• Like 2

Going to be honest not a fan of the voice.

I'm glad they went for something different than Earl Boen but I hoped they find someone with a more sinister voice. This voice feels more comical than threatening.

But I have a feeling it will grow on me just like the art style did. 

Update: the more i relisten to it the more i'm already starting to adjust to it. 😁

P.s props to people who guessed Lechuck, I was way off with my guess.

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marius said:

It's like the POV of an employee in a meeting with their toxic boss.

Maybe they should just say no more.

The interesting question is: Whose POV is it? Can't really be Guybrush. So who is the narrator figure here? Maybe even LeChuck?

• Like 1

Yep... i'm already adusting to the voice. Its weird as the pitch of the voice goes up and down. When its down, for a second i hear a bit of Earl. 

7 minutes ago, Marius said:

It's Guybrush! He's eavesdropping, that rascal.

eavesdropping.png

Oh wow yeah this must be the same part of the game as it has the same weather.

So everyone... where do you think this fits in the game?

My bet is we start at the carnival, then it leads to a confrontation on the ship with Le Chuck.

Guybrush and Lechuck propose a truce and head to Melee Island to confront the voodoo lady?

Edited by Toymafia88

2 minutes ago, BillyCheers said:

That's exactly what I like about it! Makes him more crazy. 

Yeah its growing on me, just caught me off guard.

It makes me think of how the Joker can switch his pitch up and down and it adds to the craziness.

Random thought... what if Mark Hamill voiced Le Chuck?

• Like 1

My guess is that Guybrush sneaks aboard LeChuck's ship after Melee Island. LeChuck's ship is docked there filling up with supplies and equipment while LeChuck is potentially meeting with someone. He's preparing for a long journey to perhaps a series of destinations. 

Guybrush rushes to see the Voodoo Lady who gives him the lowdown and he has to complete a series of tasks, culminating with him sneaking aboard the ship and ending Part I. 

Also, I like the voice. Hearing no one but Earl for so long will always make some adjustment necessary. I also think the bla bla blas are in Guybrush's mind. He's eavesdropping and eventually tunes out (sorta like at the end of Curse when talking to LeChuck) because he hears nothing of value except LeChuck talking about his usual torture methods. 

Edited by demone

No strong opinions on Jess Harnell. He has a solid career and this one line is a good performance. Leans a bit more into the cartoony side, although that could just be from the words spoken in this line. I like it fine.

Also I am loving the lip flap animations in this game. They really remind me of the exaggerated head-bobbing of old, but you know its also new and HD and different and a new spin at the same time. I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread before, but LeChuck's lip wagging animation reminded me. Still looks good. gross tongue, man 👅👍

Edited by Guybrush Transmasc
whoops broke it lol
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Niemandswasser said:

Is that Bob hanging from the spar??

Number 1 of our "Best Henchperson" poll? Wow!

The devs probably read this forum y'all. What if Largo had ended up in first place? Would he then dangle from the mast? Certainly!

I like the voice, and it’s interesting that they’ve gone kind of in the opposite direction of where I think some of us were speculating. LeChuck doesn’t sound older or more weary here to me. Hardly seems like a ‘darker’ version of the character. I like that he’s being portrayed as a boring old boss droning on and on, though! 

Most of all, I just want to reach inside these clips and turn on the setting to make the dialogue text float above their heads!

• Haha 1

One thing that came up in the GOG forums, and that I've been mulling over a bit.

A user (who is looking forward to the game) said that LeChuck sounded like a "generic pirate voice from a Nickelodeon cartoon". From my point of view, the idea is reinforced by parts of his dialog being substituted with "bla bla". He is supposed to sound like a generic cartoon villain.

Now I think our narrator / point of view here really is LeChuck.

Who is really fed up with being and sounding like a cartoon villain and wants to make a change in his life. And it fits in with what we've seen from the game: the stress relief toy especially. He's sick and tired of being evil pirate LeChuck.

6 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

One thing that came up in the GOG forums, and that I've been mulling over a bit.

A user (who is looking forward to the game) said that LeChuck sounded like a "generic pirate voice from a Nickelodeon cartoon". From my point of view, the idea is reinforced by parts of his dialog being substituted with "bla bla". He is supposed to sound like a generic cartoon villain.

Now I think our narrator / point of view here really is LeChuck.

Who is really fed up with being and sounding like a cartoon villain and wants to make a change in his life. And it fits in with what we've seen from the game: the stress relief toy especially. He's sick and tired of being evil pirate LeChuck.

I still think Guybrush is eavesdropping. If I remember correctly, Ron also gave us "blah blah blah" in MI2 during the Booty Mansion party, as Guybrush listened to guests long enough.

Of course, MI2 wasn't voiced when Ron made it. The special edition followed the pattern we see in other games: quiet grumblings, ellipses, and the occasional phrase. That's in a LOT of Lucasarts games when the main character is doing stuff while a background conversation happens. This version substitutes "blah blah" instead of quiet grumblings.