Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

This looks like a callback: We see LeChuck threaten his minions again and again and again... until eventually it just becomes noise. ("blah blah blah... flailed alive... blah blah... keelhauled... blah blah... walk the plank") Like the party dialogue at Elaine's mansion.

Except it works better written, I think.

The acted version would work better if it faded to black and slowly turned down LeChuck's dialogue if you ask me.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1

I bet it works fine in the real game, in the context we haven’t seen yet. 

I know that’s a boring unfun thing to say when all we have to do right now is speculate on these tiny clips, but eh. Usually this sort of joke works in these games just fine in context. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

I still think Guybrush is eavesdropping. If I remember correctly, Ron also gave us "blah blah blah" in MI2 during the Booty Mansion party, as Guybrush listened to guests long enough.

Of course, MI2 wasn't voiced when Ron made it. The special edition followed the pattern we see in other games: quiet grumblings, ellipses, and the occasional phrase. That's in a LOT of Lucasarts games when the main character is doing stuff while a background conversation happens. This version substitutes "blah blah" instead of quiet grumblings.

Fate of Atlantis subs in "blah blah" for Sophia's dialogue with Trottier while you sneak around during the seance even in the voiced version as I recall. So there's some precedent.

Edit: Who needs conjunctions

Edited by Niemandswasser
  • Like 2

Didn't some blah blahs also happen with one of the LeChuck's fortress exteriors?

As a fan of MI2's creepy LeChuck, I'm not loving this goofy LeChuck with his stubby legs and cartoony voice, but as with everything else, looking forward to seeing it all in proper context.

Edited by Lechuck
  • Like 2

I see a lot of comments saying LeChuck seems too goofy, but I always find that LeChuck is at his best when he has goofy moments that disarm us and then a sudden shift to scary and creepy. LeChuck's Revenge was probably the closest to seeing a purely serious and sadistic LeChuck, followed closely by Tales Episode 5, but I think it can work better when you don't expect it. The idea that we can laugh at this guy, but then remember in the next scene that he kills and tortures people, forms pacts with demon netherworlds, becomes a demon himself, and conducts satanic rituals, has always been one of my core experiences with the series.

The trailer implies that LeChuck will very much still have plenty of dark moments and remain a legitimate threat, which I think is the more important piece. I don't mind him having goofy moments, so long as he's still a legitimate threat. I would also say that I don't view LeChuck himself as being really goofy here; it's just the context of the scene. 

The scenes that will showcase his malice will be when to really judge if this version is too goofy or not, but so far, I really like the voice and it fits the character well in my opinion.

Edited by demone
  • Like 2

It takes some getting used to because we're so accustomed to Earl Boen, but Jess Harnell's take is really good. 

The blahs are interesting (and imo very funny 😂), my first thought was the narrator getting bored of the meanwhiles in LeChuck's Revenge, but there might he something else going on, I'm not too sure. Aaargh, I just can't wait to play this thing!

Edited by OzzieMonkey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jake said:

I know that’s a boring unfun thing to say when all we have to do right now is speculate on these tiny clips, but eh. Usually this sort of joke works in these games just fine in context. 

You're probably right... Makes you wonder: Why take it out of context and use it as one of the rare clips from your game? I think they're deliberately taking clips that don't reveal anything, which is fine by me!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

You're probably right... Makes you wonder: Why take it out of context and use it as one of the rare clips from your game? I think they're deliberately taking clips that don't reveal anything, which is fine by me!

Right, I guess the rationale here is 'what could be less spoilery than a clip of lechuck saying, well, nothing really?'

If I had to guess though, I would say that this is either guybrush recalling what he overheard LeChuck saying and trying to play it back, or that one pirate leader we see on the scene (Captain Madison, perhaps?) doing the same thing.

I can see the humour in someone trying to recount some important stuff LeChuck said but only being able to remember vague details, but still showing that play out in LeChuck's voice. Perhaps his voice is supposed to sound a bit moanier in this clip than it will actually be in person, and we'll see a more menacing side to him yet.

I feel like the games have always had goofy moments with LeChuck though, even when he was quite scary. I mean, in MI2 even during the end you're having him distracted by picking up coins, offering him a hanky, giving him a wedgie and trapping his beard in an elevator door. And during Guybrush's first proper interaction with LeChuck in MI1 he becomes completely flustered by Elaine's plan. So I definitely think he's always a character who has had the capacity to be the butt of jokes, but I'd still like to see those moments where he can give me the creeps.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Right, I guess the rationale here is 'what could be less spoilery than a clip of lechuck saying, well, nothing really?'

If I had to guess though, I would say that this is either guybrush recalling what he overheard LeChuck saying and trying to play it back, or that one pirate leader we see on the scene (Captain Madison, perhaps?) doing the same thing.

I can see the humour in someone trying to recount some important stuff LeChuck said but only being able to remember vague details, but still showing that play out in LeChuck's voice. 

I wonder if that's part of a puzzle, helping someone to piece together their memories of what was said somehow.

Something interesting to note that might be of no consequence whatsoever--it looks like LeChuck has ghost, zombie and demon crewmembers, if I'm reading that red on-fire guy right. In other words, henchpeople corresponding to each of his major forms. Maybe significant, maybe not at all!

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Niemandswasser said:

Something interesting to note that might be of no consequence whatsoever--it looks like LeChuck has ghost, zombie and demon crewmembers, if I'm reading that red on-fire guy right. In other words, henchpeople corresponding to each of his major forms. Maybe significant, maybe not at all!

Yeah and even one that appears to be human, which would essentially cover the entire spectrum of his forms from Secret to Tales. 

• Like 1

I also just wanna say that the game's visuals keep impressing me

and giving off a new but distinctly Monkey Island/Ron Gilbert vibe. There's a really cool glow coming off Lechuck and the rain effecs just make the whole evil pirate ship come alive.

This may be heresy, but I might end up ranking this as my favourite looking Monkey Island game. There's a lot here that just click for me, and it's saying a lot because I adore Curse. If that game ever gets remastered though it could easily jump back on top. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

Also it’s interesting that bob has in his hat what we assume is the symbol of the resistance. Is he strung up here as punishment for defecting to guybrush’s side? 

Also impressive: his head is still attached.

15 minutes ago, Remi said:

Also impressive: his head is still attached.

Proof that Guybrush is fully shaved and wearing a wig in MI2! The wig-flipping scenes are more than cartoonish joking!

In the past, I was referred to the iconic scene of Largo holding Guybrush upside-down without any wig falling off.

But behold! Bob shows us here that certain things such as heads and wigs can detach at certain upright moments (e.g. surprise) while still remaining attached from an upside-down position.

Bald MI2Guybrush, so there. 😛

Edited by BaronGrackle

30 minutes ago, Toymafia88 said:

I'm honestly amazed they still haven't shown off how the inventory works or a puzzle.

I wouldn't be surprised if inventory was next. We got a look at a revamped chapter screen, preexisting location, dialogue choice, preexisting characters, and a voice reveal -- inventory and/or UI seems like a logical next step.

At this point, a release-date reveal looks more plausible to arrive after the game is released. :Pir1:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Remi said:

I wouldn't be surprised if inventory was next. We got a look at a revamped chapter screen, preexisting location, dialogue choice, preexisting characters, and a voice reveal -- inventory and/or UI seems like a logical next step.

At this point, a release-date reveal looks more plausible to arrive after the game is released. :Pir1:

Good point, i feel like if its not this monday then it will be sometime this month.

But yeah the release date reveal is a mystery to me. I'm not sure if they are planning another trailer with the release date or if they are just going to do a surprise launch trailer on the final Monkey Monday.

If I had to guess, the release date is probably what Devolver was hinting at last month and will be the ones to reveal it, since it was their tweet hyping up news this month. 

I don't think it will be something that a Monkey Monday will reveal. Those seem like something Ron and Dave are heading and is more tied to game mechanics itself. 

Devolver seems to heading more of the traditional marketing and I think they will be the ones to reveal date sometime this month. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, demone said:

If I had to guess, the release date is probably what Devolver was hinting at last month and will be the ones to reveal it, since it was their tweet hyping up news this month. 

I don't think it will be something that a Monkey Monday will reveal. Those seem like something Ron and Dave are heading and is more tied to game mechanics itself. 

Devolver seems to heading more of the traditional marketing and I think they will be the ones to reveal date sometime this month. 

Yeah i feel like your onto something. I could see it being seperate from the monkey mondays.

Ok i'm betting a 3-headed monkey 🍌 that we will get a second trailer and release date at Gamecom 2022

Gamescom 2022 

24-28 August 2022

I kinda predicted nintendo direct so i'm going to use my fortune powers for good and say it will be at Gamescom

Edited by Toymafia88

I haven’t posted this on Twitter (or my website) as I couldn’t validate this information, but a Brazilian guy on Twitter is claiming that RtMI will be priced R$ 64.95 in Brazil. This is the same price as Cult of the Lamb which would put the game at $24.99 (USD) assuming DD prices follows the same conversion to other markets.

He is claiming he got the price from the Nintendo API (on the website there is no price). He also mentions that they have managed to get the price ahead of time in the past for other games as well. Again, this is just speculation as I could not be bothered to check the Nintendo APIs available myself (eg. https://github.com/favna/nintendo-switch-eshop). If anyone gives it a go, let us know.

You can check his reply when I enquired about the price below (you can use the Twitter translate if you don’t understand Portuguese):

Edited by Blondebeard
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1