Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

1 hour ago, Blondebeard said:

I haven’t posted this on Twitter (or my website) as I couldn’t validate this information, but a Brazilian guy on Twitter is claiming that RtMI will be priced R$ 64.95 in Brazil. This is the same price as Cult of the Lamb which would put the game at $24.99 (USD) assuming DG keep the price follows the same price for all markets.

The guy is claiming he got the price from the Nintendo API (on the website there is no price) and they have got the price ahead of time several times this way. Again, this is just speculation as I could not be bothered to check the Nintendo APIs available myself (eg. https://github.com/favna/nintendo-switch-eshop). If anyone gives it a go, let me know.

His reply when I enquired about the price below (you can use the Twitter translate option):

A good question might be ... how far in advance of launch does this usually appear?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blondebeard said:

I haven’t posted this on Twitter (or my website) as I couldn’t validate this information, but a Brazilian guy on Twitter is claiming that RtMI will be priced R$ 64.95 in Brazil. This is the same price as Cult of the Lamb which would put the game at $24.99 (USD) assuming DG keep the price follows the same price for all markets.

The guy is claiming he got the price from the Nintendo API (on the website there is no price) and they have got the price ahead of time several times this way. Again, this is just speculation as I could not be bothered to check the Nintendo APIs available myself (eg. https://github.com/favna/nintendo-switch-eshop). If anyone gives it a go, let me know.

His reply when I enquired about the price below (you can use the Twitter translate option):

Thanks for clearing up the price, I nearly had a heart attack thinking the game would be 65 US dollars, which translates to much more in Aussie bucks. 24.99 is much more reasonable, especially given the scope this game appears to have. Hard to say if what this person dug up is true, but it's at least in the realm of possibility. 

Once again...I'm just waiting for release like
giphy.gif?cid=790b7611adae4bb20a1f653c8b

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

A good question might be ... how far in advance of launch does this usually appear?

He does provide an example. In the case of Mario & Rabbids Sparks of Hope the API warned them at 6am of a Saturday and the media only reported it several hours after. Again, all speculation as we don’t have any real proof.

10 minutes ago, Blondebeard said:

He does provide an example. In the case of Mario & Rabbids Sparks of Hope the API warned them at 6am of a Saturday and the media only reported it several hours after. Again, all speculation as we don’t have any real proof.

I meant how far ahead of the games getting released does this information tend to be available

After the massive media leak -- Legend, SCUMM Bar, and Mojo are pretty much the trinity of news in general -- I wouldn't be surprised if Devolver was forced to reveal the date very soon.

("Wouldn't be surprised" may or may not mean "would be surprised.")

• Like 2

1 hour ago, demone said:

Honestly, once we get the release date, I might just go dark until the actual release. I was sold the moment it was announced and I kinda wish I experienced some of the reveals in the game itself with full context. 

I agree. You can only play Monkey Island for the first time once. May as well make it as good an experience as possible.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

50 minutes ago, Remi said:

After the massive media leak -- Legend, SCUMM Bar, and Mojo are pretty much the trinity of news in general -- I wouldn't be surprised if Devolver was forced to reveal the date very soon.

("Wouldn't be surprised" may or may not mean "would be surprised.")

Nintendo: "Placeholder price". The End. 🔚

Yeah, it's probably the final price, but Devolver didn't yet settle on a release date. As soon as they have one, we'll know.

This might not be your run off the mill "Spit it out like you'll win your spit in gold" release date decision. Devolver might be, more than for any game before, weighing their options. Not just when they'll release, but also what and where. I think that right now, day in, day out, they're discussing more release platforms, more voiceover languages, a physical release, and merchandising, that all should best case scenario come out on the same day. And that makes setting that release date incredibly difficult.

57 minutes ago, demone said:

Honestly, once we get the release date, I might just go dark until the actual release. I was sold the moment it was announced and I kinda wish I experienced some of the reveals in the game itself with full context. 

I get that! I may have to go dark upon release date announcement anyway until the GOG version is confirmed and in their catalog. If it comes to that, I may have a going away present ready for you guys (Yes, @Toymafia88, you've seen part of that already).

• Chef's Kiss 1

1 hour ago, Vainamoinen said:

Nintendo: "Placeholder price". The End. 🔚

Yeah, it's probably the final price, but Devolver didn't yet settle on a release date. As soon as they have one, we'll know.

This might not be your run off the mill "Spit it out like you'll win your spit in gold" release date decision. Devolver might be, more than for any game before, weighing their options. Not just when they'll release, but also what and where. I think that right now, day in, day out, they're discussing more release platforms, more voiceover languages, a physical release, and merchandising, that all should best case scenario come out on the same day. And that makes setting that release date incredibly difficult.

I get that! I may have to go dark upon release date announcement anyway until the GOG version is confirmed and in their catalog. If it comes to that, I may have a going away present ready for you guys (Yes, @Toymafia88, you've seen part of that already).

Spoilers - It's frigging awesome 😉

Also, i will also be going dark when we get a release date.

I honestly wish i didn't see some of the reveals in the monkey madness.

• Like 1

Anyone have a clue why it's been rated 16 (UK Switch rating)? 

Here's the description of 16-rated games (none of which screams "Monkey Island" to me):

PEGI 16

At the 16 level you can expect to see more mature and realistic violence against human characters. The game may deal heavily with death and injury to humans. Gory and bloody violence may be included at a PEGI 16 level but only if the game is arcade style. 

Sexual activity can be shown but it must not include visible genitals. Depictions of erotic nudity may feature.

The worst forms of bad language can be heard and will often include sexual expletives. 

The use of tobacco and alcohol may be encouraged, and the game can feature the use of illegal drugs. The game could glamorise crime.

9 minutes ago, tmetic said:

Here's the description of 16-rated games (none of which screams "Monkey Island" to me):

The use of tobacco and alcohol may be encouraged, and the game can feature the use of illegal drugs. The game could glamorise crime.

Grog and the pirate life. I knew it'd get Guybrush in trouble one day! 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vainamoinen said:

Grog and the pirate life. I knew it'd get Guybrush in trouble one day! 😄

How much trouble though?! He's been thieving and grog-swilling for 30 years now but never been rated higher than 12. 

9 hours ago, Blondebeard said:

It seems to be confirmed as I am already getting the price when searching for the game. Although the price is not yet showing on the game page.

I'm getting tired of saying the release date must be coming soon...

But the release date must be coming soon...

2 hours ago, Niemandswasser said:

I remember EMI was rated T in the US for alcohol, tobacco use and "suggestive themes," which as far as I can tell consisted entirely of Guybrush's "It's the door to our bedroom...ohhh yeahhhh" response.

Weren't there a bunch of sexy baritone @Dmnkly lines in EMI? Rated M for M-eow.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

10 hours ago, Niemandswasser said:

I remember EMI was rated T in the US for alcohol, tobacco use and "suggestive themes," which as far as I can tell consisted entirely of Guybrush's "It's the door to our bedroom...ohhh yeahhhh" response.

How about the "It's impolite to stare at a woman's chest" line? 😄

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Niemandswasser said:

Guybrush's "It's the door to our bedroom...ohhh yeahhhh" response.

13 hours ago, Scummbuddy said:

Weren't there a bunch of sexy baritone @Dmnkly lines in EMI?

5 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

How about the "It's impolite to stare at a woman's chest" line? 😄

Yes, I do remember Guybrush being uncharacteristically horny in that game, especially for being a married man :sweating:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2