Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

I've been playing through EMI and noticed more suggestive stuff than in the other games. There's also "Hey! Check out that pair of floatation devices." which could be innocent if he didn't say "No. Elaine probably wouldn't like that." when you try to pick them up. There's also the naked lady picture in the Scumm Bar.

EMI probably goes in for more adolescent humor on balance than the other games, but at the same time it may also be the most literate. (A reference to The Illywacker?) It's yet another facet of that game's maddening/delightful all-over-the-placeness.

With a chuckle, I am reminded of the exasperation of Randy Sluganski (RIP) in his review of the game:

The humor in EFMI mainly consists of one-liners and snappy responses, but it rarely rises to the level of subtle wit. For example, when Guybrush spots a repossessed dresser in the Lucre Island bank, he quips, "I sure hope the previous owner got a chance to empty their underwear drawer." Giggle, giggle. Exactly what type of audience were the developers aiming for--the Rugrats crowd?

2 minutes ago, Knight Owl said:

So apparently revealing information about a previously announced game now counts as a "world premiere"?  😛

Perhaps it's a new trailer, or exclusive reveal like new platforms/release date

1 hour ago, Udvarnoky said:

With a chuckle, I am reminded of the exasperation of Randy Sluganski (RIP) in his review of the game:

Oh, Randy. He and my adolescent self had our disagreements, I admit. And some of that was just me being a teenage fanboy of the stuff I liked, I think.

But it is pretty funny to read that now. I agree with some of what he's saying there, these days, but he did have a certain way of putting it, didn't he? (The 'Rugrats Crowd?')

• Like 1

Edit: probably would've helped if I wasn't an idiot and I realized/read the date of Gamescom lol Disregard this post. That being said, I now think a release day at the event is more likely. 

If I had to make a prediction, Monday will showcase another character or inventory. Tuesday will be a trailer with a release date (I'd say it's a 50/50 chance for the release date). I'm still predicting mid-late September for the actual release. PAX would be a great, final opportunity for them to really hype it up.

If we get a release date next week, I'm hibernating from the reveals/news until after that date and I played and finished the game lol I'm usually fine with any reveals from the marketing team with other games, but this game is potentially the most invested I've ever been with a game and I want as many seconds as possible to be my first experience with the full context.

Edited by demone

3 hours ago, 5abanja said:

We’re gonna have #monkeyislandmonday and tuesday? 😍

Yes, in eleven days.

Not sure what to expect. If there's a new trailer at gamescom, there's going to be a release date, because you can only do so many trailers. I also don't know what these gamescom openings usually entail (I've been in the physical vicinity of gamescom once in my life, and it was to meet Mark Darin, and I never ventured there ever again). Actual gameplay, just a quick ten minute sequence from the beginning part, would make sense to me. I'm sure Ron would love to finally show off the UI, verbs and inventory. It would be nice to have a little time with that, but I just don't know whether gamescom opening night is the thing to give Ron the time.

Concerning the Monkey Island Mondays though, I think Monday they're finally giving us Elaine and the next Monday they're giving us nothing, or just a peek at the gamescom stuff.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 8:00 PM, Toymafia88 said:

Ok i'm betting a 3-headed monkey 🍌 that we will get a second trailer and release date at Gamecom 2022

Gamescom 2022 

24-28 August 2022

I kinda predicted nintendo direct so i'm going to use my fortune powers for good and say it will be at Gamescom

Called it 😎

• Thanks 2
  • Chef's Kiss 1

I reeeeeally hope they show nothing of the carnival opening of the game and instead show some point after that like Melee town or something. Hopefully, none of the marketing for this game will feature a single frame of what happens immediately following the ending of Monkey Island 2. That should be saved for the first time playing the game. Of course it might also just be a trailer with a release date (hopefully soon after), but yeah, NO CARNIVAL. We've waited years to discover what was going on there, I don't want to see it on YouTube first. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I reeeeeally hope they show nothing of the carnival opening of the game and instead show some point after that like Melee town or something. Hopefully, none of the marketing for this game will feature a single frame of what happens immediately following the ending of Monkey Island 2. That should be saved for the first time playing the game. Of course it might also just be a trailer with a release date (hopefully soon after), but yeah, NO CARNIVAL. We've waited years to discover what was going on there, I don't want to see it on YouTube first. 

Spoiler policy was extremely reasonable until now. If Disney is taking marketing into their hands in the home stretch however, that could be a bit of a disaster, but I don't think they know what they have on their hands, really. I think Dave and Ron are still at the helm of this whole campaign, and they wouldn't spoil this if their lives depended on it. 🤞

I seriously hope Disney isn't pulling off any timed exclusivity shit.

Edited by Vainamoinen

Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but it's a little interesting that Ron nor Dave haven't retweeted or responded to the Gamescome tweet at all yet. I wonder if they weren't expecting it to be announced beforehand and wanted people to not know for sure if Return would be featured in any capacity at the show. Monkey Mondays are really the only marketing being done so far where people know when reveals are coming.

Edited by demone

1 hour ago, demone said:

Perhaps I'm overthinking this, but it's a little interesting that Ron nor Dave haven't retweeted or responded to the Gamescome tweet at all yet. I wonder if they weren't expecting it to be announced beforehand and wanted people to not know for sure if Return would be featured in any capacity at the show. Monkey Mondays are really the only marketing being done so far where people know when reveals are coming.

I’d say you’re reading too much into it. I know there isn’t a ton to pick over, and the gamescom thing is a surprise announcement, but that doesn’t mean it’s worth creating conspiracy theory-like drama to fill in the gaps. 

If anything maybe they didn’t know Keighley was announcing it in advance, but the team is small enough that I have to assume they know what’s being made to promote the game, because they are almost definitely the ones making and approving the promotional material. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jake said:

I’d say you’re reading too much into it. I know there isn’t a ton to pick over, and the gamescom thing is a surprise announcement, but that doesn’t mean it’s worth creating conspiracy theory-like drama to fill in the gaps. 

If anything maybe they didn’t know Keighley was announcing it in advance, but the team is small enough that I have to assume they know what’s being made to promote the game, because they are almost definitely the ones making and approving the promotional material. 

Yeah, that's all I meant: them not knowing Keighley would make an announcement before the show. I fully assume they know what will actually be featured at the show. 

@Jake Also, by no means was I trying to create "conspiracy theory-like drama." There's a lot to unpack in that statement.  It was a simple observation I was just making, nothing more.

Edited by demone
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake said:

And the release platforms, I pray. You give me hope! I'll take it.

3 minutes ago, Scummbuddy said:

Has anyone captured the current website of ReMI/Stan for posterity... and for later republishing, like the old, interactive Mojo hint guides?

Ohhhh somebody do that please. This marketing stuff is so ... ephemeral. We'll miss it when it's gone.

Edited by Vainamoinen

36 minutes ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

What do people make of the website datamine pointing to a 1st of September release? That seems pretty soon to me but I’m totally willing to buy into it.

The two reasons I could see it happening is: 1) they could announce the date during gamescom -- week-and-a-half before the 1st -- and 2) the 1st is the Thursday before a long weekend in the US.

The latter can go both ways, of course -- will the long weekend mean people will head out of town? Or will it give them time to play the game and hype it for the next week? It's plausible they'd bet on the latter. (Presumably, Germany isn't having a holiday that weekend, either.)

With all said and done, though... still betting on the 19th.

54 minutes ago, Remi said:

The two reasons I could see it happening is: 1) they could announce the date during gamescom -- week-and-a-half before the 1st -- and 2) the 1st is the Thursday before a long weekend in the US.

The latter can go both ways, of course -- will the long weekend mean people will head out of town? Or will it give them time to play the game and hype it for the next week? It's plausible they'd bet on the latter. (Presumably, Germany isn't having a holiday that weekend, either.)

With all said and done, though... still betting on the 19th.

The 1st being a thurday is perhaps something, since that's the day of the week when switch games tend to get released I thiiiink? Still, it would be quite a surprise for it to be that close.