Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

2 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

That date leak is plausible, stuff like this happens all the time

and the fact that it's on Devolver's site and not some random store page we've never heard of makes it seem more real. I think we're close. Either next week or Gamescom we'll have an official date 🤞

Might it be worth looking at the date information for some of the other upcoming? If they're all the 1st of the month, then that might make it more likely this is wrong, but if they all have specific dates, perhaps it is real.

3 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Might it be worth looking at the date information for some of the other upcoming? If they're all the 1st of the month, then that might make it more likely this is wrong, but if they all have specific dates, perhaps it is real.

Apparently Cult of the Lamb had the right  date before it was released. I'll look into upcoming stuff later.

6 hours ago, Scummbuddy said:

Has anyone captured the current website of ReMI/Stan for posterity... and for later republishing, like the old, interactive Mojo hint guides?

A major pain in the ass -- had to write a server-side script, guessing how theirs work -- but I got a lot of it assembled: https://scummbar.com/remirip/

Still needs a couple of more additions, but will probably put it on a Mojo subdomain when it's ready.

• Thanks 5
  • Chef's Kiss 2

6 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

Ok, I've quickly realised that I am way out of my depth in digging through the code of the website and I can't find a date for any games. Someone more well-versed in web design would have to suss it out to see if it's legit.

A quick look suggests that they default to 1st of the (presumed) release month:

"Skate Story","date":"2023-04-01T12:00:00.000Z"
"date_override":"Coming 2023"

"Reigns: Three Kingdoms","date":"2022-12-01T07:00:00.000Z"
"date_override":"Coming 2022"

Unless both of those games will release on the 1st of their respective months, too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Remi said:

A major pain in the ass -- had to write a server-side script, guessing how theirs work -- but I got a lot of it assembled: https://scummbar.com/remirip/

Still needs a couple of more additions, but will probably put it on a Mojo subdomain when it's ready.

Has anyone else found the easter egg remi snuck into this yet?

Spoiler

by writing this post I'm trying to manifest an easter egg into this version of the site

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Remi said:

A quick look suggests that they default to 1st of the (presumed) release month:

"Skate Story","date":"2023-04-01T12:00:00.000Z"
"date_override":"Coming 2023"

"Reigns: Three Kingdoms","date":"2022-12-01T07:00:00.000Z"
"date_override":"Coming 2022"

Unless both of those games will release on the 1st of their respective months, too.

Yes, this kills the 1st theory for me.

Cult of the Lamb probably had the correct date because its date was actually announced, during the devolver showcase.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Yes, this kills the 1st theory for me.

Cult of the Lamb probably had the correct date because its date was actually announced, during the devolver showcase.

Fingers crossed the month is at least right. 

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 2

Less than 24 hours until MIM strikes again! Probably on Dave's channel this time ... 😘

6 hours ago, Toymafia88 said:

Fingers crossed the month is at least right. 

Not many months left. It won't be September 1st of course, because Ron is at Pax West from Sept 2nd to 5th. Not much sense in marketing an already released game.

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Like 1

First and most important: hello there!

I didn't add any personal opinion in my Reddit post about the date that I've found in RtMI web page. It's just a date mentioned is some JSON code and I had no information on how that field is used by Devolver Digital, so it didn't feel right to feed any crazy theory to those nice people in the subreddit.

Here is different, of course, and there is no ethical conundrum in using Mojo users as guinea pigs for a social experiment, especially considering that some of you have already taken, spontaneously and sadly, the unhealthy path that leads to deranged speculations.

So, let me add some more information on those dates and my opinion, which is: that is not the release date of the game and even the month might well be incorrect.

For already released games, that field consistently contains their release date, assuming that the sample of games that I've checked was random enough.

For upcoming games, that field always contain a date set in the future, except for the game "Terra Nil", where the date is set to the 1st of June 2022, and "Wizard with a Gun", that has a date of 1st of August 2022.

All future dates show the first day of a month.

One question that would actually provide some useful information is if already released games showed at least the correct month in that field before being released. According to a quick check on Archive.org, the answer is "no".

For example, "Card Shard" has been released in June and before its release the date in that field was the 1st of April. "Trek to Yomi" has been released in May and the date before its release was the 1st of March. "Cult of the Lamb" has been released just a few days ago and the date before its release was the 1st of May.

Here is my take: when the page of a game is created by Devolver Digital, they mention some very vague intended period in that field. When that date passes and the game is not already out, they don't even bother to update that field, suggesting that this is not a reliable field to consider to make sound predictions.

So, was this investigation good for nothing? Absolutely not!

You have to consider the positive relational outcomes of unwillingly sending people (or even Mojo users) on a wild goose chase. During their naive attempts of making sense of completely garbage data, they enjoy making predictions and they interact witch each other reinforcing their social bonds... which takes me back nicely to the beginning of this post: hello there!

Edited by LowLevel
"fixing" grammar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, BillyCheers said:

I know, it really isn’t much… but could this on the website be the inventory “icon” in the final game? 🤔

I don't know the answer, but the name of the file of that image is "inventory":

returntomonkeyisland.com/_next/static/media/inventory-v2.940bb3ff.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LowLevel said:

Here is different, of course, and there is no ethical conundrum in using Mojo users as guinea pigs for a social experiment, especially considering that some of you have already taken, spontaneously and sadly, the unhealthy path that leads to deranged speculations.

Even if just for that sentence: thanks for joining these forums! 👌😊

Welcome!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LowLevel said:

I don't know the answer, but the name of the file of that image is "inventory":

returntomonkeyisland.com/_next/static/media/inventory-v2.940bb3ff.png

Not so fast! This could also mean "in vent or Y". Interesting. Another puzzle. What could it mean?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

44 minutes ago, Marius said:

Not so fast! This could also mean "in vent or Y".

It's actually "Invent or... Y [why]?". It's a popular motto among game developers and artists in general that summarizes the existential doubts that arise during the creative process, especially during creative blocks or after fiascoes.

The motto is often visually associated to a bindle, that symbolizes the temptation of abandoning the social profession to embrace a more frugal and secluded life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

the IATA airport code for the Orly Airport in Paris.

Then they should definitely rename the game "Detour to Monkey Island".

17 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

about inventing aircrafts in the 1600s

Practically a prequel to Kerbal Space Program.

I like your theory. It feels so nice when every piece of the puzzle goes into place so seamlessly.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, LowLevel said:

For example, "Card Shard" has been released in June and before its release the date in that field was the 1st of April. "Trek to Yomi" has been released in May and the date before its release was the 1st of March. "Cult of the Lamb" has been released just a few days ago and the date before its release was the 1st of May.

That's some good science! 👍 If anyone skimmed your post, here's the data in a more skimmable format.

Previous games on Devolver's website:

Card Shark

Date on website: April 1st

Actual release date: June

Trek to Yomi

Date on website: March 1st

Actual release date: May

Cult of Lamb

Date on website: May 1st

Actual release date: August

Based on this data, we're probably looking at November/December as an actual release date for RMI... but even that's a wild extrapolation from a tiny sample size. But basically, the dates on the website are probably just placeholder that the developer had to enter based on a guess. They historically aren't related to actual release dates, so: Unlikely to be September.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

That's some good science! 👍 If anyone skimmed your post, here's the data in a more skimmable format.

Previous games on Devolver's website:

Card Shark

Date on website: April 1st

Actual release date: June

Trek to Yomi

Date of website: March 1st

Actual release date: May

Cult of Lamb

Date on website: May 1st

Actual release date: August

Based on this data, we're probably looking at November/December as an actual release date for RMI... but even that's a wild extrapolation from a tiny sample size. But basically: Unlikely to be September.

I don't think that's something that can really be inferred from this.

For example, a brief internet search shows that Cult of the Lamb was first announced last August at gamescom, and so it had at least a 8-month lead time between its announcement and expected release.

ReMI only has a 5-month lead time, so they're probably a good deal more confident in the release window by that time.

That and while it's common for games to slip their release dates, we haven't really seen any evidence that there's still months of work left on ReMI but we have seen some evidence that it's imminent (in the form of weekly promotional clips which are SURELY unsustainable until the end of the year, and the fact we know the voices are all in, and have been for some weeks now and they're in bug-squishing mode)

To me, everything still points to them being on for September and the fact that some other games by other developers published by Devolver slipped by a couple of months is basically irrelevant.