Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

Intriguing. I actually enjoyed that.

I've always felt that Guybrush smashing open Big Whoop was where the voodoo curse began (and slowly permeated his reality the longer he stayed in those tunnels)... but there's lots of tantalising hints in MI2 (like THAT dream sequence) that open the door to so many questions.

Will we discover the truth about Guybrush's parents??

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, andygeers said:

So what if Ron never really had a very concrete vision for Monkey Island 3... so what if there is no "real" Secret of Monkey Island...

I'll tell you why I am so excited for a final *Ron Gilbert* Monkey Island game... I desperately want to get to the bottom of what is the real relationship between Guybrush and LeChuck.

There are so many clues hidden in MI2: LeChuck's Revenge - the feather in the Booty Island shop, the dream sequence, the library book about the Junior Ultra Soldier Commando Assault Vehicle... and yet for all these decades we've never had a clear answer. I put a video together about it: 

I can't wait to play the new game... and I desperately hope we'll finally get some insight!

What a silly question. They're obviously lovers.

I mean, great video at just over five minutes. I hate how people drag their videos out nowadays so youtube's search algorithm doesn't forget about them.

And some nice little flashbacks into Guybrush's childhood would be incredible. 🥰

• Like 1

• Jake changed the title to Return to Monkey Island

Probably something already talked about but it's only just occurred to me... Are the pirate leaders in this game a metaphor for the franchise? It seems that the original leaders have been replaced by new characters and melee island has gone to hell because of it. It also seems likely that Guybrush is to be tasked with ousting the new guys, reinstating the old guys and thus restoring melee island to its former glory. Is this an intentional meta commentary on Ron leaving, 3 games of a perceived lesser quality being released and now Rons triumphant return? I sort of hope not because that feels a little shitty but at the same time, now that I've noticed it, It feels very intentional.

• Like 1

Hmmm... Interesting idea/theory. But I wouldn't like that and I don't think Ron and Dave would. They made it pretty clear, that they won't stay true to everything that happened in the other games, but also won't shit on everything that came after - if only because they don't want to hurt other fans. And as you said, it would feel pretty shitty...

No, I don't think it's supposed to mean that exactly. But perhaps it's meant a nice nod to them getting back to this world.

1 hour ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

Probably something already talked about but it's only just occurred to me... Are the pirate leaders in this game a metaphor for the franchise? It seems that the original leaders have been replaced by new characters and melee island has gone to hell because of it. It also seems likely that Guybrush is to be tasked with ousting the new guys, reinstating the old guys and thus restoring melee island to its former glory. Is this an intentional meta commentary on Ron leaving, 3 games of a perceived lesser quality being released and now Rons triumphant return? I sort of hope not because that feels a little shitty but at the same time, now that I've noticed it, It feels very intentional.

Yeah, I've thought about this. Of course, I'm a hater, so my natural inclination is to link the New Pirate Leaders with Rex Crowle. I'm sorry not sorry. It's always going to be in my brain because they were all sort of revealed together, and the New Pirate Leaders aren't returning characters so they only exist in the current art.

But I'm like, 96% sure that wasn't creator intent. (shrug)

EDIT: But more importantly, weren't the Pirate Leaders always useless and unimpressive? I thought it was fitting that they disappeared as soon as LeChuck hit Mêlée and were never heard from again. I'm a little surprised to see them return in this game. I'm curious where the story will go. Would Guybrush even want them in charge again?

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

I mean I alluded to something similar earlier in the thread, but I'm trying not to dwell on it because of what I also said recently, that I think it's risky to play 'I hope the game doesn't do this or that' games.

But yeah, if there's one thing I allow myself to hope this game doesn't try to pull it's a bunch of old-man-yells-at-cloud 'pirating was better in the old days when I was young and let's get back to that' kind of meta-commentary of guybrush v.s. the youths.

Young people are, and forever have been targets of blame for society's ill. Millenials were such huge targets that everyone sort of just forgot that they grew up and have jobs and kids and stuff now and assumed they were perpetually in their early 20s for about 15 years. I saw a great twitter thread of the history of older people calling young people lazy and workshy, and of course it goes back to ancient times.

Anyway, my point is we have enough 'things were better in the old days' material to last us for years, and I could do without ReMI adding to that pile. I'm hoping it tells a bit more of a nuanced story.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

EDIT: But more importantly, weren't the Pirate Leaders always useless and unimpressive?

Useless, unimpressive and inactive. They basically sat around in the Scumm Bar and pretended to drink grog. Made every passing flooring inspector a pirate so they wouldn't have to do squat. They did nothing against the LeChuck threat in TSoMI and when the governor was kidnapped... they were not seen again.

So, basically, now we have active pirate leaders with a plan and some voodoo stuff. Ye Olde Pirate Leaders took over the shop and are blowing up blowfish. 🐡

And there's actually a blowfish emoji in here! That will come in handy for walkthroughs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Staple Remover said:

let the speculating begin

Well, to me it is:

• a confirmation that Carla is the new Governor of Melee Island.
  • a confirmation that Herman hasn't lost his charming look.
  • a confirmation that LeChuck still keeps ghost chickens on his ship.

I look forward to meet the pigs again.

image.png

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, LowLevel said:

Here is something official, with most of the text removed:

Yep, that was what I edited. I’m more talking about a proper high res original. Would make for a good poster. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

I really don't want to read the article. Let's see if I can hold back until release.

It's a fine read, but nothing earth shattering. Only real spoiler are the screenshots posted above.

• Like 1

I would love an interaction between LeChuck and Murray. It's actually wild, but I just realized Murray had only interacted with Guybrush and Decava's crew and Morgan if the player selected the option. 

Edited by demone
  • Chef's Kiss 1