Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

Sounds like the music for this trailer is probably the version they use in game (aside from the weird jump it does, I assume because the theme isn't quite long enough to fit the trailer.

Tentative Verdict: It's a lovely version of the MI1 version of the theme with a few embellishments, but I can't help but wish they'd done a fresh take on it, like MI2 did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Tentative Verdict: It's a lovely version of the MI1 version of the theme with a few embellishments, but I can't help but wish they'd done a fresh take on it, like MI2 did.

I'll wait to listen it in-game before giving my judgement, even though I can already hear that it's a damn good arrangement, from what I hear, it does seem to me like it leans closely to MI1, but with Stan's constant chatter I can't really tell all the subtle changes in the arrangement.

I do wish that every game got their own unique version of the song, like the first three did, but to be honest, it does make sense and is very fitting for the theme to go kinda back to the MI1 version, since the locations, characters, the plot and Guybrush's objective are so closely tide to that first game.

Perfect, September 19th is a Monday, and I‘m not working on mondays. 🥳
I just hope they’ll already release it at midnight. Does anybody know how that usually works on switch/steam? 

Not 100 % sure yet if it’s gonna be Switch or Mac for me. I think it’s gonna be the former, but I still kinda hope for a (quick) presentation of the console controls before I preorder…

Perfect release date. Of course, I would love to have it sooner, but hey, we've still got Monkey Island Mondays until then (I hope!). I got a prepaid post office MasterCard months ago specifically to buy this when the time came. Got it as soon as it became available! 

That little clip of Elaine is interesting, it really is looking like she might be playable, though of course they could've just cut Guybrush out of the clip (Wally was by himself in the Gameplay trailer). It looks like she might be on top of the cliff on Monkey Island where we shot the catapult, just the framing is different.

I'm really excited to playing a new Monkey Island game without having to worry about system specs too, back when Tales came out I couldn't afford a proper gaming PC and was stuck with an old laptop playing it on quality level 1 on a low resolution. Now I can enjoy Return on my 4K TV on Max settings, yeah baby!

Edited by OzzieMonkey
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jayel said:

If they're holding back release for marketing reasons even though the game is already done...

ooooh I'm so mad.

Most likely reason is the game is done (or very much done other than final QA bashing on the game to break it) but there is hangtime in between while they go through final console certification for Switch, including leaving space for time to ship and certify a patch. That’s honestly just a guess, but is the ideal time to leave these days so you can get through cert with a predictable release date and also have time to get any last minute issues stamped out too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jayel said:

If they're holding back release for marketing reasons even though the game is already done...

ooooh I'm so mad.

I don't think they are for the reasons others have pointed out but, even if they were, there's honestly nothing wrong with that. One last ramp up for the game, especially with Ron going to PAX, makes perfect sense. This game was only announced four and a half months ago, so honestly the fact we are getting it less than a month from right now is a pretty great deal and for only $25. 

• Like 2

Re: holding the game back for 'marketing reasons' - like others have said, this isn't really a thing. Devs work on a game right up until the second of release nowadays because there is so much prep that needs to happen to get the game onto the stores that stuff needs to get submitted and go through cert, so then there'll inevitably be a patch.

Yes, they probably picked this date specifically because of its significance, but they won't be just twiddling their thumbs for a few weeks.

...But even if they were, that's okay, right? If some marketing folks bumped their heads together and thought 'hey lets release it on the pirate themed day, that might improve sales by 1-2%" why wouldn't we want that for Ron and team?

39 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Yes, they probably picked this date specifically because of its significance, but they won't be just twiddling their thumbs for a few weeks.

Absolutely. As I said, the game isn't finished until the last patch is released, which means there's still dev work to be done (because there's always a patch). There's so much other prep work to be done ahead of launch, too. Billions of tiny things. The idea that they'll be twiddling their thumbs is absurd; they'll be working for weeks post launch, never mind pre.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

48 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

...But even if they were, that's okay, right? If some marketing folks bumped their heads together and thought 'hey lets release it on the pirate themed day, that might improve sales by 1-2%" why wouldn't we want that for Ron and team?

Exactly. It's not like any of us couldn't wait a little longer for the game. Sure, we want it as early as possible, but the world wouldn't end from that. And if the game sells better on a certain date - why not? It would be good for the developers and could be good for possible sequels or special editions.

Apart from that, everything has gone more than well (so far): The announcement was a hell of a surprise and pretty late in the development, the trailers weren't really late and were full of material, there were/are the MI Monday videos, so far no delays or really bad news (apart from a few very personal wishes). I think we can be really happy! :) 

Return to Monkey Island is the #10 top seller on Steam, which I think is about where I thought it would be. We're still a niche, and it's probably not going to set the world on fire but it's going to do okay.

The currently heavily discounted Monkey Island Collection has snuck into the top 100 too, so there are at least some people who either want a refresher on the series or who have decided to play it for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1