Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

This one of the new pirate leaders is featuring quite prominently in the Gamescom marketing, aren't they? They have their own cardboard standee, and pin. They seem to be the only new character featured alongside the reoccuing ones.

20220826_143343.jpg

It gives the impression that they're going to be a big part of the narrative. I mean, we already knew the new pirate leaders were going to be a big part of things, but now its like, especially this one. Maybe they're the leader of the new pirate leaders. Or maybe not, and they just had to pick one pirate leader to represent all three.

Also, I'm not just doing that Jojo's Bizzare Adventure fan thing where I see Jojo references in everything, right? The character appears to have a fusion of hat and hair akin to Jotaro Kujo, right? I can most see it on the art on the pin. I guess we can't be sure until we all get a good look in-game at the character, but I hope so. Jotaro's hair/hat is cool as hell, and I'd be glad to be right.

Anyway I just wanted to say I think they look cool.

• Wow 1

22 minutes ago, Guybrush Transmasc said:

It gives the impression that they're going to be a big part of the narrative. I mean, we already knew the new pirate leaders were going to be a big part of things, but now its like, especially this one. Maybe they're the leader of the new pirate leaders. Or maybe not, and they just had to pick one pirate leader to represent all three.

Yeah, I like their design a lot too! Also, looks like they will push Guybrush down a cliff at some point. 😬 Rude!

00-CA6508-5-DEE-489-D-A046-FDF4-AC0-A42-

Edited by Marius

My guess based on their level of prominence is that that's the "Captain Madison" referred to in the marketing materials as the leader of the "new guard" on Melee Island.

Regarding the hair/hat situation, yeah, I think you maaaay be doing the Jojo fan thing. I'm hard-pressed to see that as one big hat/hair mass--from the start I've been reading it as a big pompadour with an itsy-bitsy pirate-hat perched in front (or possibly a pirate-hat-style tiara).

On 8/24/2022 at 2:46 PM, madmardi said:

I had troubles figuring this out myself. Am I okay? (Sorry for the repost as I also put this in another thread!)

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 9.33.27 PM.png

Well, that's what they want:

• Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: AMD FX-4300 (4 * 3800) or equivalent / Intel Core i3-3240 (2 * 3400) or equivalent
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Radeon HD 7750 (1024 VRAM) or equivalent / GeForce GT 640 (2048 VRAM) or equivalent
    • Storage: 4 GB available space

I think you should be fine.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Guybrush Transmasc said:

This one of the new pirate leaders is featuring quite prominently in the Gamescom marketing, aren't they? They have their own cardboard standee, and pin. They seem to be the only new character featured alongside the reoccuing ones.

20220826_143343.jpg

Also, I'm not just doing that Jojo's Bizzare Adventure fan thing where I see Jojo references in everything, right? The character appears to have a fusion of hat and hair akin to Jotaro Kujo, right? I can most see it on the art on the pin. I guess we can't be sure until we all get a good look in-game at the character, but I hope so. Jotaro's hair/hat is cool as hell, and I'd be glad to be right.

Anyway I just wanted to say I think they look cool.

It seems to be the Lechuck's main minion, like Largo in MI2. Maybe related to him?

Hi!

Sorry, I feel like I'm disrupting a conversation.

I'm new here. I'm not a native speaker, so I apologize if my English is a bit clumsy.

I've been a fan of Monkey Island since I was a kid, in the 90s, MI2 is my favorite game (and MI2's ending is my favorite ending ever), and I've been really excited about Return since its announcement in April.

So I guess I just wanted to meet and discuss with other fans. ❤️

I already preordered the game (on the Switch), and I can't wait it for it to come out. I've been going on Twitter religiously every Monday to see new clips from Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman.

I personally love the art style. It has, for me, kind of weird, in a good way, and unique vibe. It made me feel like I'm gonna enter this strange world, which is exactly how I felt when I first played MI1 and 2 in the 90s. I always felt like RG's games had some kind of Lynchian vibe, and I think this fits perfectly.

Anyway... Nice to meet you all!

Edited by Joe monsters
  • Like 20

1 hour ago, Joe monsters said:

Hi!

Sorry, I feel like I'm disrupting a conversation.

I'm new here. I'm not a native speaker, so I apologize if my English is a bit clumsy.

I've been a fan of Monkey Island since I was a kid, in the 90s, MI2 is my favorite game (and MI2's ending is my favorite ending ever), and I've been really excited about Return since its announcement in April.

So I guess I just wanted to meet and discuss with other fans. ❤️

I already preordered the game (on the Switch), and I can't wait it for it to come out. I've been going on Twitter religiously every Monday to see new clips from Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman.

I personally love the art style. It has, for me, kind of weird, in a good way, and unique vibe. It made me feel like I'm gonna enter this strange world, which is exactly how I felt when I first played MI1 and 2 in the 90s. I always felt like RG's games had some kind of Lynchian vibe, and I think this fits perfectly.

Anyway... Nice to meet you all!

Don’t worry. 😅

Nice to meet you too and welcome! 😊

• Thanks 1

Here’s a question: Would Tim Schafer have rejoined the team if Ron had asked him? 

I don’t think Schafer’s influence on the original two games can be understated… plus he was involved in nearly all of LucasArt’s most beloved titles: Monkey 1+2, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango. 

IMO, the best game he wasn’t involved in was Curse (and maybe Sam & Max - although the puzzles in that game are super uneven).

The rest of LucasArt’s catalogue  are beloved in their own ways, but they don’t hit the same highs if you ask me (as much as I love them): Last Crusade, Zak McKraken, Loom, Maniac Mansion, Fate (overrated IMO, sorry), The Dig, Escape from MI. 

Schafer has gone on to prove himself as a brilliant independent game writer/director, too. 

I just think Schafer had a bigger influence on what we know and love as LucasArts than perhaps he’s given credit for?

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Here’s a question: Would Tim Schafer have rejoined the team if Ron had asked him? 

I don’t think Schafer’s influence on the original two games can be understated… plus he was involved in nearly all of LucasArt’s most beloved titles: Monkey 1+2, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango. 

IMO, the best game he wasn’t involved in was Curse (and maybe Sam & Max - although the puzzles in that game are super uneven).

The rest of LucasArt’s catalogue  are beloved in their own ways, but they don’t hit the same highs if you ask me (as much as I love them): Last Crusade, Zak McKraken, Loom, Maniac Mansion, Fate (overrated IMO, sorry), The Dig, Escape from MI. 

Schafer has gone on to prove himself as a brilliant independent game writer/director, too. 

I just think Schafer had a bigger influence on what we know and love as LucasArts than perhaps he’s given credit for?

It’s going to be interesting to see how much his absence is felt in return. People can troll over the art style or lack of earl boen all they like but to me this is the only thing that’s a legitimate cause for concern. That being said though i’m not too worried. No matter what, this game feels like it’s going to be solid based on what we’ve seen. 

Do have much gauge for Tim's contributions to MI1 and 2? I know in the commentary, he fought against Guybrush's pants falling down while graverobbing. I don't know what should be attributed to him.

But I also know that on reddit, MI3 consistently wins polls for favorite Monkey Island. That didn't have any of the original three.

Edited by BaronGrackle

4 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

The dialogue from both Full Throttle and Grim Fandango persuaded me that he was probably responsible for a lot of the writing that I enjoyed most in the first two games (not that I know for sure, it's just that there's stuff in the way that those two games are written that I feel like shares DNA with the first two MI games and DOTT.)

So I've no doubt it'll be a bit different, but how much so I'm not sure. Part of the reason that Ron's earlier rumblings about revisiting MI irked me is that it was always about how he wanted the rights, he wanted to do MI3 his way, etc etc and there wasn't much acknowledgement that actually it was a team effort - not just in the writing, but in the design, in the music and how much that lent to the atmosphere. Graphics too, though obviously they've changed from game to game.

I was so glad that with ReMI they have pitched it as a collaboration between Ron and Dave from the start, and brought back the main 3 composers, have the involvement of several other people who have a history with the series. I don't think I would have been half as excited for it if it were just The Ron Show.

I would say that it's probable that Ron talked to Tim about it when it got going a couple of years ago, and Tim had to say that he was deep in the writing of Psychonauts 2, and because of his Microsofty obligations, getting involved in another project in that way would have been contractually dicey. I can't imagine a conversation didn't happen.

Some people speculate that Ron is sore about the rights to The Cave getting swallowed up by Microsoft. That's possible, but I don't know. They're all grown ups that have been in business a long time, I don't think that would have affected things that much. The timing just wasn't right for Tim. I'll also be interested to see what that does to the mood of the game (and trying to sort that out from the effect that a 30 year gap had on the game, too)

• Like 2