Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

4 hours ago, Jayel said:

I'm just glad that they didn't bring back Orson Scott Card to help with the writing.

Never even thought about that, but, totally agree! The sword fighting is fun because of the puzzle mechanic but the lines… they are okaaay, but nothing compared to the rest of the game. I bet they would’ve really been amazing if they were written by one of the other three.

I preferred those in CMI, but even there most of them felt a bit forced.

16 hours ago, Scummbuddy said:

But I'm afraid if it was more of a Myst situation. Sold really well, not enjoyed or completed by those masses, maybe left a poor taste for adventure games for many? Just a thought 

I know it's just anecdotal, but I've seen a lot of love for The Dig online recently (twitter, as well as the Steam community, etc.). It seems like it's actually remembered quite well by those that played it. The Dig is the last LA adventure game I played (well... besides Labyrinth) and going in with low expectations I was very pleasantly surprised. Sure, it may have it's drawbacks and it's not my favourite, but it's a good reminder that even the 'lesser' LA games are quite good and have high standards. As I played I refrained from comparing it with others and really enjoyed myself.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Niemandswasser said:

The Flying Welshman mentions how tired he is of looking at mist all the time, and Guybrush says "I like mist! It's pretty!" To which the Welshman says "Well of course mist is *pretty.* But hoo boy, is it dull." 

Nothing about it was ever *confirmed* as a Myst dig that I know of, but that's how it's usually read.

OHHHH, I never got that! Yeah, that is a bit of a shame, especially as it doesn't really work as dialogue if taken at face value.

1 hour ago, BillyCheers said:

Never even thought about that, but, totally agree! The sword fighting is fun because of the puzzle mechanic but the lines… they are okaaay, but nothing compared to the rest of the game. I bet they would’ve really been amazing if they were written by one of the other three.

I'm guessing Jayel was referring to the fact that Card is a massive homophobe.

Edited by TimeGentleman

10 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

So what are our guesses for Monkey Island Monday this week? For my money, I'm betting on seeing the inventory, where the only item we have is...you guessed it, the horse armor. 

Guybrush opens his inventory and uses the horse armor with a person or object, getting a voiced comment that sounds very specific to that person or object.

This would showcase the inventory and also demonstrate that Guybrush can show this preorder bonus around!

I think it looks great!

So nice to see the inventory. It does make me think of the Delores game, for sure.

Monkey Island looks gorgeous.

Also, something I love with Ron, Dave and Tim’s games… The dialog gets to the point. This is something I find tiring in a of lot modern P&C adventure games – the long overwritten dialogs, it gets old fast. For example, even though I love the Deponia series, it’s hard for me to replay the games for that reason.

I love Ron Gilbert’s games because the dialog is always short and funny. You really feel like you’re interacting with this world. You’re Guybrush, in a way.

Edited by Joe monsters
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Joe monsters said:

Also, something I love with Ron, Dave and Tim’s games… The dialog gets to the point. This is something I find tiring in a lot modern P&C adventure games – the long overwritten dialogs, it gets old fast.

👆. 👍. The later Monkey Island games -- CMI and later -- doubled down on really wanting to hammer home a joke by padding out punchlines with punchlines to the punchlines. So far, it looks like ReMI is keeping with the brevity of the two originals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TimeGentleman said:

OHHHH, I never got that! Yeah, that is a bit of a shame, especially as it doesn't really work as dialogue if taken at face value.

Funny you should say that--back when it first came out and the community consensus developed that it was a Myst dig, I thought it was a massive reach because it seemed like a logical exchange for the two of them to have--the Welshman's tired of being cursed to wander the fog, Guybrush says something perfectly oblivious, the Welshman responds with disdain. But I was also a child and hadn't played Myst, so my brain was probably willing to slap any rationalization on there for it to make sense.

• Like 1

To continue some admittedly pointless speculation, I notice the "inner monologue" of the interface has been replaced with a more traditional verb interface (as mentioned above):

image.png

Presumably that is a setting that can be toggled?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Remi said:

To continue some admittedly pointless speculation, I notice the "inner monologue" of the interface has been replaced with a more traditional verb interface (as mentioned above):

image.png

Presumably that is a setting that can be toggled?

I wonder if it will be different on the switch? Hoping not too different as I really like this.

The puzzle menu on the side of the screen kinda reminds me of the Tales puzzle menu.

Edited by Toymafia88

1 hour ago, Remi said:

👆. 👍. The later Monkey Island games -- CMI and later -- doubled down on really wanting to hammer home a joke by padding out punchlines with punchlines to the punchlines. So far, it looks like ReMI is keeping with the brevity of the two originals.

I agree.

Mostly Escape... I replayed it recently, and I didn't like the dialog at all. It didn't feel natural.

I feel like Return will have a better sense of rhythm, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I'm so excited... And I love the music as well!

I'm trying not to look too hard at the items so I don't get spoiled, ha, ha.

I can't believe we'll all finally be able to play the game in three weeks!

Edited by Joe monsters
  • Like 2

That looks and specially "feels" fantastic. From what we've seen thus far, this really feels like an amalgamation of a lot of previous styles in the MI games. Premature as it might be at this point, this might be my favorite look of a Monkey Island game

• Like 5
  • Chef's Kiss 1