Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

11 minutes ago, Romão said:

That looks and specially "feels" fantastic. From what we've seen thus far, this really feels like an amalgamation of a lot of previous styles in the MI games. Premature as it might be at this point, this might be my favorite look of a Monkey Island game

I was thinking the same. It's incredible. From the beginning where I was a bit skeptic about graphic this art style had grew so much in me that now it's almost my favourite in the series. It's unbelievable.

• Like 2
  • Chef's Kiss 1

Adding to this not really being a musical puzzle is that Murray says "Fa" but sings "Sol"

Edit: I do like the idea that the skulls are singing notes but can't really sing 😛

2nd Edit: Guybrush has sheet music in his inventory. I'll bet that's how we solve this puzzle

3rd Edit: What if the Loom guy shows up at the Scumm bar later in the game, once you're able to go to MI and *explains how sheet music works* (hence why he wasn't in last Monday's clip)

Edited by Knight Owl

6 minutes ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

Probably not. It’s always night time at the giant monkey head. No matter what time of day it is on the rest of the island. 

Yeaaaah, but the far left of the background used to be daytime, and here it's definitely night. Could just be an aesthetic change tho

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 3.24.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 3.25.31 PM.png

Edited by Knight Owl

1 hour ago, Knight Owl said:

Hmm. If that outdoor shot from the June trailer with the "marley foundation" sign was on Monkey Island, then are we going to MI at multiple times of day?

Could also be Terror Island. 

18 hours ago, Niemandswasser said:

Funny you should say that--back when it first came out and the community consensus developed that it was a Myst dig, I thought it was a massive reach because it seemed like a logical exchange for the two of them to have--the Welshman's tired of being cursed to wander the fog, Guybrush says something perfectly oblivious, the Welshman responds with disdain. But I was also a child and hadn't played Myst, so my brain was probably willing to slap any rationalization on there for it to make sense.

It's not that it doesn't make sense, it's just not particularly funny or interesting. (Also, mist isn't really *that* pretty, especially if you're just in the middle of it on the ocean.) Just seems like something they wouldn't have written if it didn't have that secondary meaning.

19 hours ago, Knight Owl said:

Adding to this not really being a musical puzzle is that Murray says "Fa" but sings "Sol"

Sol-fa syllables are relative, so it's any note depending on what key we're in. But if you assume the first skull struck (Mi) is in tune then the Re and Fa also work relative to that Mi (they're not completely in tune, Murray sounds to me a bit like he's in between two notes on first listen, but... close enough to make it work, probably)

On the puzzle itself...

Spoiler

Presumably we'll find a Do, Sol, La, and Ti skulls too, arrange them in their proper order, and have to play a particular tune in order to achieve something

1 hour ago, KestrelPi said:

Sol-fa syllables are relative, so it's any note depending on what key we're in. But if you assume the first skull struck (Mi) is in tune then the Re and Fa also work relative to that Mi (they're not completely in tune, Murray sounds to me a bit like he's in between two notes on first listen, but... close enough to make it work, probably)

On the puzzle itself...

Reveal hidden contents

Presumably we'll find a Do, Sol, La, and Ti skulls too, arrange them in their proper order, and have to play a particular tune in order to achieve something

Yeah haha I’m sure it won’t matter what the notes are (and it probably shouldn’t for accessibility reasons). I’d have to go back and listen to it again when I have time but from what I can remember the Mi was an E, the Re was almost a D but with a ton of vibrato, and the Fa was like slightly flat of G 😛 but I like that all the skulls have their own quirks that differentiate them

37 minutes ago, Knight Owl said:

Yeah haha I’m sure it won’t matter what the notes are (and it probably shouldn’t for accessibility reasons). I’d have to go back and listen to it again when I have time but from what I can remember the Mi was an E, the Re was almost a D but with a ton of vibrato, and the Fa was like slightly flat of G 😛 but I like that all the skulls have their own quirks that differentiate them

If I had to guess more on how the puzzle will work

Spoiler

That sheet-music looking thing in the inventory will contain a tune guybrush has to play, in sol-fa syllables, and the skulls saying (and having in subtitles) what note they are singing, and having relevant names will also help for anyone who's not familiar with the system

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

On the puzzle itself...

Hide contents

Clearly the solution will be ReMi

Edited by Niemandswasser
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Chef's Kiss 5

@Remi : are you the person who eats bytes and nibbles and bits of this websites and regurgitates them in meaningful ways? If so, what about creating a countdown page for the release of Return to Monkey Island? We could share it with other monkeys on the Internet and make the website analytics gauges skyrocket to infinity.

We can create a countdown precise to the second, because the Steam release date has a time attached to it:

19 September 2022 – 16:00:00 UTC [Source]

I apologize if you are not the official digital regurgitator, I'm new here. In this case, could you please pass this idea to those who have the power to carefully evaluate it and make it real regardless of their assessment?

Thank you very much.

• Like 3

Just now, Remi said:

I’m not seeing the UTC release date, unless I’m missing something:

Release Date

19 September 2022 (in 16 days)

If I remember correctly Nintendo releases at midnight Eastern, too?

At least on Steam developers can set the time, but also they can choose to launch manually. I don’t think Switch games all launch at a set time of day either. 

My experience with switch games is that the game unlocks first in Australia and New Zealand, something like 12 hours before the release date in the Americas, and then slowly starts unlocking in other regions until it finally gets to the americas at 12 am eastern time on the day of release, 9pm pacific time. That could just be first party Nintendo games tho 

47 minutes ago, Knight Owl said:

My experience with switch games is that the game unlocks first in Australia and New Zealand, something like 12 hours before the release date in the Americas, and then slowly starts unlocking in other regions until it finally gets to the americas at 12 am eastern time on the day of release, 9pm pacific time. That could just be first party Nintendo games tho 

Same. (About first party, too.)

1 hour ago, OzzieMonkey said:

It seems as though Elaine and Guybrush will still be married in the game, which I'm glad isn't being erased.

As long as it is not this cliché marriage talk again like in Escape or even Tales, I’m totally fine with it. But from the screenshots I somehow don’t get that vibe. :)

We’ll see.

Interesting that Gilbert names LeChuck’s crew as his favorite “character” in ReMI because the members now have (more) personality and you get to interact with them. I  liked that in the clips we’ve seen so far and am really looking forward to that. 

• Chef's Kiss 1