Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

55 minutes ago, BillyCheers said:

Interesting that Gilbert names LeChuck’s crew as his favorite “character” in ReMI because the members now have (more) personality and you get to interact with them. I  liked that in the clips we’ve seen so far and am really looking forward to that. 

Something about his wording makes me wonder if we'll be interacting with the crew AS LeChuck. That'd be quite something!

• Wow 1

5 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

More compelling evidence of this being mostly post Tales in this interview.

https://www.gamersglobal.de/interview/return-to-monkey-island

It seems as though Elaine and Guybrush will still be married in the game, which I'm glad isn't being erased.

Oh! I didn't realize we had CONFIRMATION that Captain Madison is the tall pirate leader in the middle, and also confirmation she is a "she"!

Rex Crowle: And here I was, thinking, "I hope he doesn't take me first!" Alright. I really like the pirate leaders, especially Madison, this very tall character. For a lot of the characters in the game I needed a lot of concept art, showed it to Ron and Dave, improved it and so on. But Madison, I just drew her like that, with her beanpole character and that ridiculously tall, long face and the hat on top - she was perfect right away. It's really hard for me to make a decision, but if I have to, I'll choose Madison.

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 4

Wow, Ron really dislikes the whole porcelain gag. I sorta thought he was just being sarcastic on Twitter, but he really wants that thrown out. Now that I think about it, I guess it's not the type of humor Ron would write. 

Also really respectful how he admittedly still hates Elaine and Guybrush getting married, but knows too many people love that plot point to undo it. 

Edited by demone
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, demone said:

Also really respectful how he admittedly still hates Elaine and Guybrush getting married, but knows too many people love that plot point to undo it. 

I found that a bit odd, honestly. I think it's true that some people are attached to them as a couple, but are people really that attached to them being married? And even if they were, his feelings about it have been known for years, would it really have been that shocking if he'd divorced them? I feel like there are interesting ways of exploring their relationship dynamic outside of them being a married couple.

I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm just a little surprised Ron felt this was such an unshakable part of the series now that he couldn't mess with it at all.

• Like 2

I think if you divorce them, the game would need to address it in some way, then suddenly a portion of the game text has to be about the creators feelings about the characters relationship, and maybe that is more annoying than just not spending time litigating it. At some point it’s easier to say, fine the status quo can just exist and we’ll move on. 

• Like 5

I remember when Jurassic Park 3 (Allen!) came out and had Dr Statler and Dr Grant separated and semi estranged through an off screen story, and that was jarring to audiences and falling away from expected movie tropes of couples staying together unless we witnessed the breakdown. More like "hey this would fit the story if they were apart for then to have Grant call her at the last second from a dino-poop-satellite-phone".

I guess what I'm saying is, stay together unless the separation is an earned story point?? I think that's what I'm saying.

Jurassic Park 3 was fairly awful. That was my point.

Edited by Scummbuddy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jake said:

I think if you divorce them, the game would need to address it in some way, then suddenly a portion of the game text has to be about the creators feelings about the characters relationship, and maybe that is more annoying than just not spending time litigating it. At some point it’s easier to say, fine the status quo can just exist and we’ll move on. 

Oh I agree with that, certainly - I just would buy 'we would need to spend writing effort addressing it that we felt served the story better elsewhere' than, 'we kept them married for the fans'

Edited by KestrelPi

Oooh that is a cool shirt Grossman has got on!

I don't love Guybrush and Elaine being married, but I think I would like it less if they got divorced. The scenes between them in 3-5 are usually sweet and that relationship is a big part of the tone (and plots) of those games.

There's also something that feels regressive about undoing the marriage of a character that most fans encountered as children.

I really like that Ron seems to be accepting what has happened in his absence and rolling with it, rather than trying to live in an alternate 1993 before anyone else touched his toys.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aro-tron said:

I really like that Ron seems to be accepting what has happened in his absence and rolling with it, rather than trying to live in an alternate 1993 before anyone else touched his toys.

I also like that aspect of it. To be clear, it's not so much the decision that I found weird (there are all kinds of reasons it might make sense to keep them married), it's the reason that he gave in the interview that felt odd to me. Especially since in the past he's talked about delighting in making choices that upset a large number of fans.

1 hour ago, Vainamoinen said:

NFunO1F.png

And here it is, probably the first Dave Grossman foto since E3 2010.

I'm just so glad he's involved.

Me too. Dave being involved was as exciting, maybe even more exciting than Ron coming back for me.

I generally thought after Telltale that Dave was done with point and click games and we wouldn't hear from him again. I heard he worked for an audio company or something.

I always felt Dave Grossman was the most underrated of the original trio.

I still wish we got to see him lead a game project on his own.

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Toymafia88 said:

I always felt Dave Grossman was the most underrated of the original trio.

Ditto, though I also feel appreciation for his contribution has increased over the last few years. Listening to his MI2SE commentary shows his influence on both the world of the games and Guybrush as a character. In a sense he balances out Ron’s cynicism and Tim’s boyish enthusiasm, and they may have been missed by some/many. I’m stoked he’s back for ReMI.  

• Like 1

Wow, Dave hasn't aged a day.

It's great to see all these guys hanging out and just having a good time. I never thought I would live to see this day lol It must be so surreal for Dom; hanging out with these guys, having some good food and drinks, promoting the game after being afraid for years that Ron wouldn't like him. Happy for the guy. Ron, Dave, and everyone else all seem like such good people to work with. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Jake said:

I went to PAX! I got to meet David Fox!* It was great.

* (And Ron and Dave and Dom, but I have met them all before.)

I so want to meet these guys one day just to say thankyou, but I can't afford an overseas trip any time soon and the last time Ron came to an event in Australia was 2013 for his storytime speech 😢

Another german interview with the guys:

https://www.heise.de/hintergrund/Interview-zu-Monkey-Island-Die-Kontroverse-war-unvermeidbar-7248052.html?wt_mc=rss.red.ho.ho.atom.beitrag.beitrag

Interesting that the decision to also release the game for the Switch was apparently made very early on, as Rex tells us that the platform had an impact on character design.

• Like 1