Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

My whole thing was that characters like murray and stan seem to work best in small doses and I don’t know if i really want to see them develop passed “goofy guy who you can’t wait to show up.” Too much screen time and they may lose some of the excitment that surrounds them but at the same time this may be the last time we ever see them so i sort of want to spend as much time with them as possible before they return to the void. 

14 minutes ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

My whole thing was that characters like murray and stan seem to work best in small doses and I don’t know if i really want to see them develop passed “goofy guy who you can’t wait to show up.” Too much screen time and they may lose some of the excitment that surrounds them but at the same time this may be the last time we ever see them so i sort of want to spend as much time with them as possible before they return to the void. 

I suspect we'll see him in similar intervals as we did in CMI. Going by the #MonkeyIslandMonday teaser set on Monkey, it's implied that Murray makes his way to the island by himself. That's the sort of thing we saw in CMI.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Remi said:

I suspect we'll see him in similar intervals as we did in CMI. Going by the #MonkeyIslandMonday teaser set on Monkey, it's implied that Murray makes his way to the island by himself. That's the sort of thing we saw in CMI.

Yeah that’s true. I was just worried about murray fatigue. In the post I accidentally deleted i compared the coffin holding stan in curse and the chest holding murray in tales to surprise christmas presents. It was a beautifully worded analogy worthy of wordsworth. Its a real shame for all of you that you’ll never get to read it. 

• Haha 4
  • Chef's Kiss 1

19 minutes ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

the coffin holding stan in curse

Stan popping out of that coffin in Curse was such a perfect moment. I had no idea what was going to be inside, and then when it was Stan, I laughed out loud and thought “of course! who else could it be?”

• Like 1

Since the subject of expectations has come up in other threads, I feel like I want to say. The way I've trained myself not to worry too much about expectations is that I think it's a good idea not to focus too much energy on 'I hope the game doesn't do x, y and z'. Because it probably will do some of the things you don't want it to, and if you've already prejudiced yourself against the idea then it becomes harder to accept the game on its own terms.

Like... on the earlier point, I admit I kinda agree that characters like Murray have worked best in smaller doses. I also suspect we've seen a lot of Murray because he's a very popular but not very important character, and therefore is an easy choice to feature in teasers. But let's say they've decided to use Murray a lot more in this game... Sure, that might not be how I think Murray has worked well in the past but if I've worked myself up thinking 'ahh, no that's a bad idea and they shouldn't do that' I'm going to be in a bad mood before I've even got to think about HOW he's being used, and how funny his lines are, and all that stuff.

I guess a better way to say this is... I think there's a trap in inventing a fuzzy, blurry imaginary perfect version of this game in your head and then pitting the game we actually get against it. Our individual ideal ReMI is a mirage. Don't worry. Just play. Don't try and pre-load your feelings about it, they can sort themselves out later on.❤️

• Like 4
  • Chef's Kiss 1

Damn, almost 11 days left.

This is surreal. I actually took that Monday and Tuesday off; I've never done that for a game ever. That is going to be a special, long weekend for me.

After my regular weekend plans, my goal is to replay my favorite parts, from my save files, of the previous 5 games on Saturday and Sunday nights. I'm really hoping Return will be available to play at midnight. I plan to replay and re-watch the final part and cutscene of LeChuck's Revenge right before starting Return to Monkey Island. I plan to crack open a bottle of my favorite Victory beer; Golden Monkey (I know it seems too perfect, but it really has been my favorite beer for years now) to commemorate the occasion. 

11 days. I can't wait.

Edited by demone
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, KestrelPi said:

Yeah, but alas

p6ld5Xh.png

I was very close to mentioning that the sofa feels a little empty.

I kinda hope we get some more comments of support from Tim Schafer. Maybe at least a shoutout for the game on release day on twitter.

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Toymafia88 said:

I kinda hope we get some more comments of support from Tim Schafer. Maybe at least a shoutout for the game on release day on twitter.

Yeah… if kind of feels like everybody in the industry is (openly) excited for this game except him. I mean even Roberta Williams said she’s looking forward to play it. 😅

6 minutes ago, BillyCheers said:

Yeah… if kind of feels like everybody in the industry is (openly) excited for this game except him. I mean even Roberta Williams said she’s looking forward to play it. 😅

He's commented a few times on twitter on some of the stuff. Not very much. But he's probably conscious of the fact that talking about it invites questions. He probably doesn't want to make the pre-release of the game be about his lack of involvement in it. Perhaps he just wants to let this be their thing.

I get a bit uncomfortable speculating about why things did or didn't happen and all that because y'know. Maybe there IS bad air between Ron and Tim. Maybe they've quietly decided not to work together. Maybe Tim could have worked on ReMI and chose not to. Maybe he was never asked and feels sore about it. All these things are possible, but it's just as possible, probable even that the timing didn't work out and he's just staying back because he doesn't want to make things about him.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

He's commented a few times on twitter on some of the stuff. Not very much. But he's probably conscious of the fact that talking about it invites questions. He probably doesn't want to make the pre-release of the game be about his lack of involvement in it. Perhaps he just wants to let this be their thing.

I get a bit uncomfortable speculating about why things did or didn't happen and all that because y'know. Maybe there IS bad air between Ron and Tim. Maybe they've quietly decided not to work together. Maybe Tim could have worked on ReMI and chose not to. Maybe he was never asked and feels sore about it. All these things are possible, but it's just as possible, probable even that the timing didn't work out and he's just staying back because he doesn't want to make things about him.

Sure, we don’t know. But it’s fun to speculate. 😉😬

About stealing the show… I don’t know. If it was only because of bad timing, I think something like “I couldn’t work on it but everything looks great so far and I’m looking forward to play it!” would work much better. Because the people who care that he’s not on board would notice his absence anyway.

I always get the feeling that he (and his work) is much more important to him than others are. But I’m not a Tim expert, so dunno… maybe I’m totally wrong. 

He couldn't exactly take 4 months off from work running a whole company. He owes it to his employees to keep steering that ship and not go run off and be a pirate on the Mad Monkey. Although it would be fun to have seen this as a Double Fine production so we could see a two-headed baby as a ship figurehead in an opening graphic. ;)

6 minutes ago, Scummbuddy said:

He couldn't exactly take 4 months off from work running a whole company. He owes it to his employees to keep steering that ship and not go run off and be a pirate on the Mad Monkey. Although it would be fun to have seen this as a Double Fine production so we could see a two-headed baby as a ship figurehead in an opening graphic. ;)

A two-headed monkey logo, for Doublefine Monkey Island?

But no. If it had been Ron, Dave, and Tim again, the monkey would have been three-headed.

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scummbuddy said:

Well, more to the point when ReMI got off the ground he was in an extremely busy part of Psychonauts 2. I doubt he'd have been able to be involved even if he really wanted to be.

Not to add to speculation, but I remember Dave mentioning he really wanted to get Tim involved for Tales, but contract negotiations were nearly impossible. And same thing, Tim, as I remember anyway, was relatively quiet about Tales, but a year later was having fun with both Ron and Dave doing the commentary for MI2SE, so I think all three of these guys still love and respect each other.

I would imagine it was something similar in this case. Dave was actually relatively free when Ron approached him since he just finished a recent project and, even then, it took 9 months to get everything in order. I would imagine with Tim running his own company, working on multiple big projects, it just made it impossible.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Udvarnoky said:

At one point Tim basically live tweeted his playthrough of TMI. Dunno if those still exist, but I remember him having fun with it.

You keep saying that, but he truly 100% didn't and I'm saying that as someone who took your word for it -- ¬ -- and spent hours trying to find them. He did maybe three tweets, the death of the seagull being the central part of it.

I did salvage his MI2 tweets, though.

• Like 1