Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

5 minutes ago, Jake said:

I also specifically remembered him live-posting about finding the moment when the voodoo lady talked through a pile of dead crabs, but can’t find a tweet like that, only the post-game summary. So who knows. 

That's one of the tweets. Like I said, there were a couple but nothing like the MI2SE deluge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jake said:

Tim of Legend confirmed actual legend with this Monkey 2 take, though

I'm sure I'm missing something here and I don't even understand if Tim is sarcastic or not, in this tweet, but I wonder:  why selling stuff to LeChuck/Largo/Voodoo Priest should make the Voodoo Lady a bad person or an antagonist? 🤔

She just sells stuff, including a Love bomb to Wally, completely disregarding which poor person would have been forced to love him.

8 minutes ago, LowLevel said:

I'm sure I'm missing something here and I don't even understand if Tim is sarcastic or not, in this tweet, but I wonder:  why selling stuff to LeChuck/Largo/Voodoo Priest should make the Voodoo Lady a bad person or an antagonist? 🤔

She just sells stuff, including a Love bomb to Wally, completely disregarding which poor person would have been forced to love him.

I think they said in the commentary that she's basically more of a "double agent," more interested in her own agenda. Something like that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LowLevel said:

I’ve just long liked the observation that the voodoo lady is a third party and not just “someone who helps guybrush on his quest.” I think many players see her that way, but she’s very enigmatic especially in 1 and 2, and goes as far as doing business with “both sides” of the Guybrush/LeChuck conflict in 2 (and the love bomb for Wally as you said. Related: should Wally be canceled for ordering a love bomb?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Related: should Wally be canceled for ordering a love bomb?)

Guybrush: "Sorry I never got that Love Bomb to you."

Wally: "Love Bomb?"

Guybrush: "Yeah, the one you ordered from the Voodoo Lady."

Wally: "I never ordered a love bomb! I ordered a PLUMB BOB!"

Guybrush: "Oh. You should probably cancel that."

Wally: "No kidding! I never consented to this."

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Having some scattered thoughts. With what is being teased as being finally going to be revealed in this game, there are are only a few others things that I think would be the icing on the cake.

• Largo; he doesn't necessarily need to be in it that much or even at all, but I would love some closure with his character's fate.

• The Voodoo Priest: based off the developer commentary for MI2SE, it doesn't seem like he was meant to be a character of any particular importance, but it would be cool if they found a way to reintegrate him, especially with Ron replaying that game before really working on Return. Tim was inquisitive about the character in the commentary, so perhaps the character is something that drew Ron's eyes as well upon a fresh replay.

• From Tales' story arc: the voodoo's lady's agenda and perhaps some inclusion of Morgan. I'm really holding my breath on that last one, but you never know.

49 minutes ago, Toymafia88 said:

Is there a rough idea of when on the 19th September the game will go live?

I'm getting it on the switch so not sure when in the day i can play it.

I'm assuming/hoping midnight EST on the 19th. That's typically when Switch games get released in my experience, but this could be a unique circumstance. I think we'll have a better idea when/if the game is available for pre-download. Once it's pre-downloaded, than it's literally just a countdown.

For what it's worth, I preordered on Switch and Steam and got an email earlier this week, informing me that my payment for the Switch version is expected to be posted to my account around September 12th, so perhaps pre-download will be available then.

Edited by demone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Toymafia88 said:

I have a feeling that the Steam version will go live the same time Monkey Island Mondays happen, because Ron has been describing the game's launch as "the ultimate Monkey Island Monday" so around 8am PST.

• Like 2

This might sound like a stupid question but is there a risk of the game being delayed due to the Queen's death and mourning period?

I heard rumours of the new Nintendo Direct being delayed because of the Queen's death.

I imagine things are locked in and too late to change.

Edited by Toymafia88

12 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

so around 8am PST.

That's more of less what Steam says. "More or less" meaning a hour after that.

3 hours ago, Toymafia88 said:

This might sound like a stupid question but is there a risk of the game being delayed due to the Queen's death and mourning period?

I think that it's a good question, actually. I'm not sure how much the event would distract people from buying and playing the game, but my hunch is that it shouldn't impact the release very much.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Toymafia88 said:

I heard rumours of the new Nintendo Direct being delayed because of the Queen's death.

I imagine things are locked in and too late to change.

I wouldn't worry about that

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Toymafia88 said:

For Switch, it’s either midnight EST or noon EST.

If it’s midnight EST and you live on the West Coast, like me, you’ll be able to play it at 9pm on the 18th.

I was able to do that with other games I preordered in the past. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe monsters said:

For Switch, it’s either midnight EST or noon EST.

If it’s midnight EST and you live on the West Coast, like me, you’ll be able to play it at 9pm on the 18th.

I was able to do that with other games I preordered in the past. :)

I'm gambling on the 9 pm time slot, too, though 9 am seems more plausible if they want to keep the #MonkeyIslandMonday thing going.

1 hour ago, Remi said:

I mentioned it on Twitter -- the big reveal is that "Guybrush" is an imposter as proven by him trying to perfect his signature.

(Also love that short little repetition sting at the end of the theme.)

Scrapbook with Guybrush's signatures all around.

Maybe that's why Guybrush looks so different in Curse of Monkey Island onwards. He got replaced by an imposter after Big Whoop.

The game's ending will be the real Guybrush meeting the non-Ron Gilbert Guybrush.  

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Wow 3