Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

So a couple of things to note about that trailer: Firstly, were they using the Ultimate Talkie edition of MI1 in that footage? It has classic vga with Guybrush's voice and you can hear the SE version of the Scumm Bar music briefly. Either that or there's an extra-customisable remaster on the horizon, god that'd be good :D Also, I'm starting to get a bit confused about how the scrapbook is meant to function as a recap. Put yourself into the shoes of someone who's never played a Monkey Island game; does this give a comprehensive picture of the story of 5 games, or to them, would it just be a series of images? I wonder if it'll be a narrated scrapbook by Guybrush or if there are pages with writing on them that we haven't seen.

• Like 3

I think that the easiest thing to do for the developers would be to assign a description to each item in the scrapbook, something that Guybrush can narrate when clicked/tapped.

I don't think that the scrapbook would be comprehensive, though. The goal should be to quickly inform newcomers of events, places or characters that are needed to recreate the context in which RtMI exists. Overwhelming them with information not needed to understand the new game would backfire, in my opinion.

• Like 1

My guess would be that the scrapbook will update as you encounter characters and situations where knowledge of past games would be useful, so that meeting Carla for the first time would unlock her relevant scrapbook page(s) for example. I could be wrong, but I doubt there'll be info pre-loaded in there about Freddy the stick merchant or Jumbeau LaFeet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Niemandswasser said:

My guess would be that the scrapbook will update as you encounter characters and situations where knowledge of past games would be useful, so that meeting Carla for the first time would unlock her relevant scrapbook page(s) for example. I could be wrong, but I doubt there'll be info pre-loaded in there about Freddy the stick merchant or Jumbeau LaFeet.

That‘s a cool idea! I guess, as the hint book, it could blink when something new is in the scrapbook.

Another thought that I had (and liked) is that it would also fill with important moments you have in this game. This way you could get a quick recap if you put the game aside for a longer time (of course none of us would ever do that…) and it would give a little extra satisfaction when you achieved something cool, to hear Guybrush’s view of it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

So a couple of things to note about that trailer: Firstly, were they using the Ultimate Talkie edition of MI1 in that footage? It has classic vga with Guybrush's voice and you can hear the SE version of the Scumm Bar music briefly. Either that or there's an extra-customisable remaster on the horizon, god that'd be good :D 

Whoa, whoa, slow down  :D it's probably just the plain VGA version with a voice clip from the SE edited on top

8 hours ago, LowLevel said:

I don't think that the scrapbook would be comprehensive, though. The goal should be to quickly inform newcomers of events, places or characters that are needed to recreate the context in which RtMI exists. Overwhelming them with information not needed to understand the new game would backfire, in my opinion.

Aww drat, for a second I thought they might explain what happened inbetween Escape and Tales.

Find out about the lost Monkey Island 5 that Telltale developer's said happened inbetween.

Fictional Monkey Island 5

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

8 minutes ago, LowLevel said:

Are you telling me that Return to Monkey Island has been the subject of two April Fools' Days? 😐

Yup haha

I find it kinda awesome that the original april fools got our hopes up for a fake Return to Monkey Island, then many years later Ron gives us a real Return to Monkey Island through a April Fools.

It honestly couldn't be more perfect!

• Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

2 hours ago, Toymafia88 said:

Find out about the lost Monkey Island 5 that Telltale developer's said happened inbetween.

Fictional Monkey Island 5

There was just a single dev quote, I don't even remember who said it exactly (neither does the Monkey Island wiki), to explain the very basic concept of the in medias res beginning of the Tales. And somehow that idea took fans' brains hostage. It was everywhere. People kept parrotting it on the forums. They talked about how that would affect canon. They wanted Telltale to "do Monkey Island 5 next" so that horrible gap would be closed.

The Telltale forums mod squad spent ridiculous amounts of time trying to get rid of that false info that Tales was "actually Monkey Island 6". And see where it led us. 🤣

Maybe planting the seed is easier than removing the tree, so I think I'll start talking about a "fictional Indiana Jones 1" in which he finds Shorty and the Nurhachi.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:08 AM, Vainamoinen said:

I really really need to put a damper on my enthusiasm until my platform is confirmed. But as this thread hasn't had a new post in two days (!!), here's some things that I don't expect from Return to Monkey Island, but would love to see. Maybe you have a few "I don't think they will, but I'd be over the moon" ideas of your own.

• Guybrush's diary / "quest log" in the main menu, scrap book style, chronicles his exploits in his own words.
  • Ghost pirate violinist lady voiced by Sarah Hamilton.
  • Finally, the return of the "Lookout" musical motif from The Secret of Monkey Island.

By the way! ;)

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Alexandra IDV said:

God, the "fictional MI5 / MI4.5"... I think it was really funny to see Tales keep making wild references to supposed events of a previous adventure that we never got to see (including LeChuck apparently taking on a walrus form at some point), but fans got too hung up on the supposed importance of it.

And now we're debating how this game starts from the ending of MI2 and somehow counts the last 3 games as canon...some things never change :p 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Chef's Kiss 1

3 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

There was just a single dev quote, I don't even remember who said it exactly (neither does the Monkey Island wiki), to explain the very basic concept of the in medias res beginning of the Tales. And somehow that idea took fans' brains hostage. It was everywhere. People kept parrotting it on the forums. They talked about how that would affect canon. They wanted Telltale to "do Monkey Island 5 next" so that horrible gap would be closed.

The Telltale forums mod squad spent ridiculous amounts of time trying to get rid of that false info that Tales was "actually Monkey Island 6". And see where it led us. 🤣

Maybe planting the seed is easier than removing the tree, so I think I'll start talking about a "fictional Indiana Jones 1" in which he finds Shorty and the Nurhachi.

By the way! ;)

I admit i definitley poured fuel on that fire back in the day 😅

Although my issue with it was slightly different. I took it as Lucasarts wanted to reserve the right make their own Monkey Island 5 later, and were saying that Tales didn't count as a numbered entry and was merely a mini series or spin off. This rubbed me the wrong way and i wanted them to confirm Tales as a 5th entry.

I get what the developers were trying to do, to build on the lore and feel like Guybrush never stopped adventuring during the hiatus. 

Its weird to me though like fictional Red Dwarf series ix or the missing Liesure Suit Larry.

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 2

Oh my god the brief fan obsession with “Tales is Monkey Island 6 and there is a secret 5th game” during the lead up to Tales drove me absolutely insane. All we wanted to say was, the characters had some adventures between Escape and now, to give the world some time to reset and heal. 2, 3, and 4 seemed to have taken place back to back to back, and it was clearly more weight than the MI universe could really bear and everything was starting to get really creaky, so we wanted to give the universe a break. Oh well. People REALLY don’t like it when there are holes in canon, I guess. (I LOVE holes in canon, that’s where my imagination as a fan can have a home in the work, a bunch of weirdly shaped gaps and grooves to run my mind over, but I feel like I’m increasingly in the minority with that preference.)

If it helps, I can finally tell you as one of the designers on the game that Tales is Monkey Island 5.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Oh my god the brief fan obsession with “Tales is Monkey Island 6 and there is a secret 5th game” during the lead up to Tales drove me absolutely insane. All we wanted to say was, the characters had some adventures between Escape and now, to give the world some time to reset and heal. 2, 3, and 4 seemed to have taken place back to back to back, and it was clearly more weight than the MI universe could really bear and everything was starting to get really creaky, so we wanted to give the universe a break. Oh well. People REALLY don’t like it when there are holes in canon, I guess. (I LOVE holes in canon, that’s where my imagination as a fan can have a home in the work, a bunch of weirdly shaped gaps and grooves to run my mind over, but I feel like I’m increasingly in the minority with that preference.)

If it helps, I can finally tell you as one of the designers on the game that Tales is Monkey Island 5.

Haha sorry for stirring the pot with that back then 😂 for some reason it drove me nuts.

Thank you for confirming Tales as the 5th game haha 

Hey Jake, quick question. If a season 2 of Tales was made was it planned or expected to be called Tales of Monkey Island season 2 or would you have given it a different name?

I actually really loved how Tales started years later and just dropped us at the end of Guybrush's latest adventure. It was a nice way of just saying "We're back after so many years and not missing a beat." 

I think for most games and media in general, whenever there is a gap, it's because they eventually want to make entries to cover it. Star Wars and Kingdom Hearts do this to almost a fault I would say. When done right, it can be extremely satisfying but other times, it's answering questions no one really asked or cared about and was simply better left up to the imagination of the viewer/player. 

Sometimes less is more and I really enjoyed just hearing vague references to what Guybrush went through, knowing full well it was a joke and also just a nice way to build out the universe a little more subtly. 

The one gap I always wanted filled though was after MI2 and here we are, less than 9 days away from getting more of that context.

Edited by demone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Toymafia88 said:

Haha sorry for stirring the pot with that back then 😂 for some reason it drove me nuts.

Thank you for confirming Tales as the 5th game haha 

Hey Jake, quick question. If a season 2 of Tales was made was it planned or expected to be called Tales of Monkey Island season 2 or would you have given it a different name?

We didn't ever really seriously talk about a Tales Season 2, but I would hope we would have called it something else. My honest guess is "Return to Monkey Island," because its the title I think everyone considered every time doing a new Monkey game ever comes up. (Except Tales, because we knew we weren't going to Monkey Island in Tales! It seems like "going back to a familiar place" would have been a goal for a second one if we'd done it, though.)

2 hours ago, demone said:

Star Wars and Kingdom Hearts do this to almost a fault I would say.

Star Wars didn't used to do this! The post-Rogue One world is absolutely wild. Everything is canon, any gap is now an invitation for more media instead of negative space for your imagination to make the world seem bigger than it is. I think it's a huge fuckup in the direction they've taken the IP, and is part of why things are falling apart so badly. Star Wars was not a universe built for everything to be lore hole'd. Oh well! hey they should make a thread just for this kind of discussion

3 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

Guys, we've solved it. When Ron Gilbert says he doesn't think of this as Monkey Island 3a or Monkey Island 6, what he ACTUALLY MEANS is that we fans are neglecting the game between Escape and Tales.

Return is therefore Monkey Island 5a or Monkey Island 7.

My god, you're a madman. Excited to finally see Walrus LeChuck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Toymafia88 said:

I found my old TellTale account recently and couldn't understand why all my posts were about a missing 5th game. Now I get it. Sorry as well, Jake!

1 hour ago, Toymafia88 said:

Uk fans, Bank Holiday has been approved on the 19th of September.

Not sure if schools and colleges will close.

Schools and colleges will definitely close. Not sure if it'll be a Christmas-style shops-closed bank holiday or just a regular one where everything's open until 8pm. Either way, I get the day off work to play ReMI in my pyjamas... as a mark of respect.

Edited by tmetic
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jake said:

We didn't ever really seriously talk about a Tales Season 2, but I would hope we would have called it something else. My honest guess is "Return to Monkey Island," because its the title I think everyone considered every time doing a new Monkey game ever comes up. (Except Tales, because we knew we weren't going to Monkey Island in Tales! It seems like "going back to a familiar place" would have been a goal for a second one if we'd done it, though.)

Thanks for answering that's always been a massive 'what if?' For me.

1 hour ago, tmetic said:

Schools and colleges will definitely close. Not sure if it'll be a Christmas-style shops-closed bank holiday or just a regular one where everything's open until 8pm. Either way, I get the day off work to play ReMI in my pyjamas... as a mark of respect.

Sweet, I work at a College so I've been holding my breath on whether I'd actually get the day off or not.

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Staple Remover said:

I was guilty of a “when will episode 2 drop” post. I now know it will release August 20, 2009. Sorry Jake and Telltale! 

“When’s the next episode” posts were a part of life, no harm in it. I eventually started making official threads for that sort of thing before the community could, so it wouldn’t diffuse out across the whole board.    

• Like 1

Love how the thread became „Sorry I was rude 13 years ago, Jake“. ❤️ (I don‘t remember my behavior from back then. Don’t know if I wanna look. :sweating: How did y‘all find your old posts anyway? Internet archive?)

Edited by Marius
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3