Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

27 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

* Come to think of it where did the Pirate Leaders GO after the trials. They were in the bar because they were hiding out from LeChuck and I always assumed they scattered because LeChuck attacked

I think the implication was that they joined the rest of the pirates in looting the mansion. 

I would like to take my joke prediction from last month, and change it into a real prediction for this month. Many of you might be guessing the same thing...

Here is my joke prediction from last month: https://forums.mixnmojo.com/topic/200524-i-wonder-what-happens-in-return-to-monkey-island-%E2%80%93-wrongish-wild-and-wonderful-answers-only/?do=findComment&comment=2795068

My current prediction is:

Guybrush needs to reinstate the old Pirate Leaders and re-complete the Three Trials for them, after which they'll support his expedition to Monkey Island.

1. The Swordmaster has to be defeated again, but Carla is the governor now and has no interest in swordfighting you. It will probably involve new insults without grinding, similar to armwrestling Mr. Cheese in Escape.

Note that we've seen Guybrush and Carla swordfighting in trailers.

2. The Idol of Many Hands is with Elaine. You have to find her and it. Possibly on a different island.

Note that we've seen Elaine with the Idol in trailers.

3. Treasure hunting will be based on this premise: there is no longer any treasure buried at the location of The Legendary Lost Treasure of Mêlée Island. It very much IS lost! Something something find a trinket or T-shirt that links itself to that treasure. But it won't be at the spot.

If these things will occur, I find myself pondering... would the Pirate Leaders have forgotten that Guybrush already showed them proof of two trials?

Will they and Guybrush have a conversation about who last saw the Idol o' Many Hands? If the Pirate Leaders never received it from Guybrush, then that sort if indicates he did complete the thievery trial LAST, which would mean... ::bom bom bom:: the conversation at the docks between Guybrush and Elaine might not have happened, according to Ron's version. Did I already say bom bom bom?

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 3

16 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

would the Pirate Leaders have forgotten that Guybrush already showed them proof of two trials?

Un-spoiled that line as it's not a spoiler (unless you haven't played MI1) -- you don't have to show the Pirate Leaders the proof. Collecting all three before going to see them is entirely possible -- though, of course, they'll be gone by then -- so it just depend on what option they decide to go with in ReMI.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Remi said:

Un-spoiled that line as it's not a spoiler (unless you haven't played MI1) -- you don't have to show the Pirate Leaders the proof. Collecting all three before going to see them is entirely possible -- though, of course, they'll be gone by then -- so it just depend on what option they decide to go with in ReMI.

Well, none of what I typed is actually a spoiler. I haven't played the game. :)

I am curious if they talk about the Idol... because we have seen it in the trailer. Elaine got it back, either from Guybrush or from the old Pirate Leaders.

I wouldn't even think much of this exchange, except Grossman calls attention to the technicality. "But don't worry, I'm sure it's fine."

Edited by BaronGrackle

I really like that Guybrush seems pretty unaffected by the old pirate leaders not acknowledging him as a pirate. Implies we'll have the more confident Guybrush we had in MI2 and Tales.

After all he's been through and done, he really has nothing to prove to them, who hid in a bar afraid of LeChuck and seemed to have done or accomplished nothing else. Though it is a little heartwarming that they remembered him nearly right away. 

My guess is that he'll need something from them which will require him to prove himself in silly, new trials they made to get an item or funding for his expedition. 

Edited by demone
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BillyCheers said:

The more I see familiar faces from Mêlée, the more I hope we’ll see Captain Smirk again - even if only to open another argument about his smoking habits. 

I will repeat my prediction that he was killed by tripping and falling on The Machine immediately after the lesson, which is why he never answers the door again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

I will repeat my prediction that he was killed by tripping and falling on The Machine immediately after the lesson, which is why he never answers the door again.

But lung cancer would be so much funnier! 😂

Guybrush could make a nice joke when looking at his grave like “I told him he should stop…”

• Chef's Kiss 1

35 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

According to Escape, he had to sell his house to Ozzie Mandrill and was never heard from again, but I like your idea better :p 

Just now, LowLevel said:

Watching the developers update mysterious things on Steam in real time is an unhealthy way to feed my "are we there yet?" syndrome. This thing can't come soon enough. 😑

On that front, I wonder if there will be Steam achievements, like for showing the horse armour to every character or finishing the game without the hintbook. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I wonder if there will be Steam achievements

According to Steam, yes.

The only real achievement I want is to find out what the secret of Monkey Island is, but I wouldn't mind additional goals for obsessed completists like me. Like "Read all the books in Phatt's library. Twice."

This is another pretty interesting overview/slight interview. Similar to previous ones, no real spoilers, but some additional details (including confirmation where players will get the hint book), so a skip for anyone being extra cautioushttps://www.fandom.com/articles/the-creators-of-return-to-monkey-island-talk-pirates-at-pax-west

I might be misreading, but there seems to be an implication that we might get more backstory on Guybrush and how he wound up on Melee Island, why he wanted to be a pirate so badly, etc.

Edited by demone

13 minutes ago, demone said:

This is another pretty interesting overview/slight interview. Similar to previous ones, no real spoilers, but some additional details (including confirmation where players will get the hint book), so a skip for anyone being extra cautioushttps://www.fandom.com/articles/the-creators-of-return-to-monkey-island-talk-pirates-at-pax-west

I might be misreading, but there seems to be an implication that we might get more backstory on Guybrush and how he wound up on Melee Island, why he wanted to be a pirate badly, etc.

On where you get the book: Called it :p 

• Like 1

Oh. This quote from that interview:

Now I just [think about] things like, where did he come from? How did he get to this island?” Gilbert laughed. “I’ve always been bothered by the fact that he shows up at the lookout, but the dock is way down below. It’s just weird things like that that we didn’t really think about back then.”

So that means...

...when Ron referenced that question on Twitter, it wasn't something he already had the answer to in 1990. It was just something they weren't thinking about.

Edited by BaronGrackle

26 minutes ago, Joe monsters said:

For those who preordered the game on the Switch… Was the game already pre-downloaded for you?
It usually happens a week before release, but it still didn’t happen on my side.
Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t just me. :)

Same for me. It's not showing up in my feed on my home screen yet.

• Sad 1