Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

9 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

Oh. This quote from that interview:

Hide contents

Now I just [think about] things like, where did he come from? How did he get to this island?” Gilbert laughed. “I’ve always been bothered by the fact that he shows up at the lookout, but the dock is way down below. It’s just weird things like that that we didn’t really think about back then.”

So that means...

Hide contents

...when Ron referenced that question on Twitter, it wasn't something he already had the answer to in 1990. It was just something they weren't thinking about.

But of course he's also stated that

Spoiler

He knew what the secret was in 1990 and this game is going to reveal that same secret. So it wouldn't surprise me if they found a secret-contingent way to explain this anomaly, and others.

• Like 1

One thing I missed earlier... in the Monkey Monday with Murray at the Monkey head, Murray complains that people kept "dropping him in cauldrons of glop for some reason". Indicating people were using him as the Human Skull (pressed) ingredient for Monkey Island's directions.

Which indicates that Guybrush himself will NOT be using Murray as an ingredient in voodoo soup to reach Monkey Island.

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

57 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

One thing I missed earlier... in the Monkey Monday with Murray at the Monkey head, Murray complains that people kept "dropping him in cauldrons of glop for some reason". Indicating people were using him as the Human Skull (pressed) ingredient for Monkey Island's directions.

Which indicates that Guybrush himself will NOT be using Murray as an ingredient in voodoo soup to reach Monkey Island.

Incredible good catch!

9 hours ago, tmetic said:

My Nintendo email came through at 5.12am BST, which is just gone midnight EST. Can we suppose this means the game will be available at midnight EST on the 19th?

It was midnight EST of the 13th, though. It doesn’t make sense to me. Pretty sure it will be earlier.

Edited by Joe monsters

54 minutes ago, Joe monsters said:

It was midnight EST of the 20th, though. It doesn’t make sense to me. Pretty sure it will be earlier.

I've seen various sources suggesting 5am BST, 2pm BST, 5pm BST and 8pm BST - and now 5am on the 20th! Wish they'd just list the damn time. 🤨

Looks like IGN's coverage has some exclusive footage. For anyone interested, I don't think the look at the scrapbook here is particularly spoilery. It doesn't reveal anything about how MI2 ends, for example, but it does show how the scrapbook will work in practice. I really like the nods to MI2's copy protection in the background of that MI2 page.

• Thanks 1

"If you never played the original two Monkey Island games"

That's weird. To me it looked like all of MI2 was on a single page (it already shows LeChuck using the voodoo doll on Guybrush), so I kind of expected a single page dedicated to MI3, MI4, and MI5 also. Especially since we've seen the Morgan art in the trailer.

I think there's a reason they're being coy with how much and how actively this game connects to Curse/Escape/Tales, as well as where exactly it falls on the timeline in relation. My gut feeling is that being any more specific now would pre-empt something that's central to this game. What that is I have no idea, but the lack of any kind of 100% straight answer feels very purposeful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niemandswasser said:

I think there's a reason they're being coy with how much and how actively this game connects to Curse/Escape/Tales, as well as where exactly it falls on the timeline in relation. My gut feeling is that being any more specific now would pre-empt something that's central to this game. What that is I have no idea, but the lack of any kind of 100% straight answer feels very purposeful.

Yes, specifically they've been very evasive when answering questions about where this game appears on the timeline in a way that will be addressed in part by the start of the game.

2 hours ago, demone said:

Just watched the IGN scrapbook video. Dom does such a great job here of inserting genuine emotion into Guybrush's character, specifically when talking about Elaine. 

Absolute gem of a video. I love seeing the pictures of the previous games done in this new artwork style. 

I really hope there are the written memoirs that were found on the boxes included in the scrapbook. 

Sorry to interrupt! I had this sudden stroke of marketing genius to promote the game!
people here in the frum know the developers, they HAVE to suggest this to them!!

It's a Disney game and Disney is full of money, right? And they can pretty much buy anything, right?! If they wanted, they could paint the Sleeping Beauty castle over all the F1 cars and bodypaint the statue of liberty like Goofy! No limits!

So I was like what could they do to reach new customrs? Something BIG. And then it hit me!!!

Spoiler

They sponsor the funeral.

I mean, BIGLY! As in rex-lechuck-flags-instead-of-the-union-jacks big!!

And this is broadcasted worldwide and people start wondering why Coldstream Guards wear baboons on their heads instead of the usual hairy hats and they are completely puzzled by rootbeer fireworks and then they are curious about all of this monkey island stuff and want to know what it is, and THEN, only THEN...

Dominic approaches the coffin holding a shaker of Ash-2-Life...

[End of part 1]

• Haha 2
  • Chef's Kiss 1

While I am in panic waiting for the GOG announcement, I found out what Return to Monkey Island really is about and this is the spoiler thread, so ...

The three pirate leaders from Monday's clip say they moved on, but of course it is a huge burn mark on Guybrush's soul to never have completed the three trials or rather, brought back evidence to the pirate leaders. These three artifacts have to be brought back to them. And, what do you know, we already spotted the idol in one of those screenshots! That leaves us with just two T-shirts to find.

We return to Melee Island, present the pirate leaders with the evidence, screen says "Act I of The Secret of Monkey Island completed", game ends.

• Like 2