Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

A bit disappointed for the puzzle solution.

But also, so hyped about what was shown!

Spoiler

I’m now convinced that Guybrush will take the elevator from the tunnel to get to Mêlée Island. They’re teasing the alleyway like crazy. It’s not blocked anymore - I feel like they showed it like that on purpose, to mislead us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LowLevel said:

If you are not afraid of spoilers, there is an extended gameplay video published by IGN:

IT SPOILS A PUZZLE!

The greater spoiler to me is that it reveals one particular formerly released screenshot to possibly contain deliberately falsified information. And I really really hope they did that.

In other news ... THE CLOSEUP. How cool is that?!?

Edited by Vainamoinen

2 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

Absolutely do not get the fan obsession with Guybrush and Elaine. In the first game they met twice and had a deliberately corny, unrealistic romance. In 2 it had gone bad and the one big scene with her goes badly. In CMI she spends most of her time as a statue then they get married. In EMI they're married happily but mostly Elaine just sends Guybrush on errands.  Only in Tales do they actually put in any real work to make any sort of comment about the sort of commitment their relationship is, and even in that both characters appear to have some romantic chemistry with other characters (even if it turns out at the end Elaine was faking hers).

It's not exactly the greatest love story ever told. Why can't they be a little unhappy in marriage? Why can't we have stories in games that explore that kind of relationship? They clearly WANTED to. 😕

Ah well, I'll try to follow my own rule and try not to wish for the game to be something it isn't. It's just a bit frustrating to see that they couldn't make that sort of thing work.

I'm on the same boat of people that probably would have hated it if Guybrush and Elaine got divorced or whatever.

It's not really about them being "cute" together or them having this long incredible romance story, it's about Curse of Monkey Island and the subsequent games establishing that they love each other, that they grew as people and that even in bad situation, they are there to support each other.

It would be completely retconning the previous three games.

They already had their "bad relationship" moment in Monkey 2, and that led to them being separated for 2 years (according to Tales) because that idiot Guybrush wanted to find Big Whoop and Elaine left him to do it alone.

In other words: Just let them be happy, man!

Edited by Wally B.

20 minutes ago, Niemandswasser said:

For what it's worth, Ron on Twitter described the puzzle that was shown as "small," and also said it was "kinda" spoiled, with bigger spoilers having been edited out, so make of that what you will. I haven't watched!

Oh, it is very small. But when I play this with my kids... now, I'm going to have to NOT do that thing until one of them suggests it. :laugh:

27 minutes ago, Niemandswasser said:

For what it's worth, Ron on Twitter described the puzzle that was shown as "small," and also said it was "kinda" spoiled, with bigger spoilers having been edited out, so make of that what you will. I haven't watched!

I've watched, and there is a section where they bleep Guybrush's dialogue.

2 hours ago, Romão said:

I just skimmed through the gameplay video (watched like 20 seconds total), but one thing I absolutely loved was the Melee Island map theme being interspersed in the new Melee Town music 

Yes! totally agree

2 hours ago, Wally B. said:

I'm on the same boat of people that probably would have hated it if Guybrush and Elaine got divorced or whatever.

It's not really about them being "cute" together or them having this long incredible romance story, it's about Curse of Monkey Island and the subsequent games establishing that they love each other, that they grew as people and that even in bad situation, they are there to support each other.

It would be completely retconning the previous three games.

They already had their "bad relationship" moment in Monkey 2, and that led to them being separated for 2 years (according to Tales) because that idiot Guybrush wanted to find Big Whoop and Elaine left him to do it alone.

In other words: Just let them be happy, man!

Relationships change. If they can be a complete disaster couple in 2, then reconciled in 3 and basically functional in 4 and 5, why couldn't they be in trouble again in 6?

5 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

why couldn't they be in trouble again in 6?

The sense I get is they didn’t want the game to be about that, but considered the idea of it being something that just happened in it or was part of the fabric of it. I can see why that wouldn’t work, in execution, in the sixth entry of a series. It’s not something that could easily happen in the folds between the pages of the story, people would want to know about it and have it be plot relevant. And I think that’s a very realistic expectation.

4 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

Since this is old ground on which I'm historically disagreeing, I'll just add one overlooked line from M1 and follow it by agreeing with one of your points.

The line: In MI1, the Voodoo Lady sends Guybrush with, "Now go and find the one that loves you." Elaine's line in Curse is arguably an echo of what Voodoo Lady already foresaw in the first game. It's possible Gilbert didn't write that line... or the scenes at Mêlée docks and Booty mansion.

The agreement: Relationship complications can be a very enjoyable element in stories, including MI. Hopefully when Ron says they kept "some elements", they turn out to be the very best elements!

Sure I remember that line, I'm just not really interested in lawyering their relationship based on single, probably throwaway lines in the game - all I was saying is that their relationship in the first 2 games at least, and probably the first 3 games could at best be described as 'rocky', so I don't know why them being together has somehow become this unmoveable fact.

Just now, Jake said:

The sense I get is they didn’t want the game to be about that, but considered the idea of it being something that just happened in it or was part of the fabric of it. I can see why that wouldn’t work in the sixth entry of a series. It’s not something that could easily happen in the folds between the pages of the story, people would want to know about it and have it be plot relevant. And I think that’s a very realistic expectation.

Yeah, this line of thinking I think I can see a bit more. If it took up too much oxygen in the writing, maybe it made more sense to dial it back.

28 minutes ago, Jake said:

The sense I get is they didn’t want the game to be about that, but considered the idea of it being something that just happened in it or was part of the fabric of it. I can see why that wouldn’t work, in execution, in the sixth entry of a series. It’s not something that could easily happen in the folds between the pages of the story, people would want to know about it and have it be plot relevant. And I think that’s a very realistic expectation.

Yeah, completely agree with this.

33 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Relationships change. If they can be a complete disaster couple in 2, then reconciled in 3 and basically functional in 4 and 5, why couldn't they be in trouble again in 6?

Depends on the definition of "being in trouble".

If it means "they're having a fight that can and will be resolved" then it's ok.

If it means "they broke up for reasons unknown to us and now they hate each other" it comes right out of left field.

Moreover, I don't really want my pirate adventure game to be about marital squabble

Just now, Wally B. said:

Yeah, completely agree with this.

Depends on the definition of "being in trouble".

If it means "they're having a fight that can and will be resolved" then it's ok.

If it means "they broke up for reasons unknown to us and now they hate each other" it comes right out of left field.

Moreover, I don't really want my pirate adventure game to be about marital squabble

Would it have come right out of left field? We're told many years have past and this wouldn't be the first time they've had a bad spot in their relationship.

Besides, my whole thing is that there's room for nuance here. It doesn't need to be either they're having a fight or it can be resolved or they broke up and now hate each other. It could be... they're in the process of breaking up but they find a way to end things amicably, say. Their relationship being in trouble doesn't HAVE to be this big, terrible event. It could be for the best or bittersweet or cathartic or any number of things. It's the idea that their pairing is inevitable, permanent and immutable which bugs me.

I agree though that I don't think I want the game to be about that. Still, MI2 wasn't about that.

MI2 wasn't about that, though it is wrapped into the narrative of Guybrush being deadset on finding Big Whoop. When Elaine gives him the opportunity to stop the quest and choose their relationship instead, Guybrush rejects that path and continues pursuing the treasure. (This sort of obsession shows up in The Cave as one of its main themes!)

Secret is when they fell in love with each other. In Revenge she would have still taken him back, but he decisively chose the treasure quest over her. In Curse, his actions have literally objectified her (Guybrush really is Elaine's only weakness), and he has to make things right by reversing his decision - choosing Elaine over treasure.

In Curse, Guybrush quests to undo the damage he has caused Elaine - both symbolically over the years and literally just now with his accidental curse. He transforms her back into a human being, but something something he also transforms himself back into the person she fell in love with.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

In Curse, Guybrush quests to undo the damage he has caused Elaine - both symbolically over the years and literally just now with his accidental curse. He transforms her back into a human being, but something something he also transforms himself back into the person she fell in love with

Yes, this.

Also let's not forget that in Tales Guybrush literally dies and comes back to life thanks to the power of LOVE!

58 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

It's the idea that their pairing is inevitable, permanent and immutable which bugs me.

Yeah, but some pairs are inevitable, permanent and immutable. Why couldn't it be so for Guybrush and Elaine?

The majority of Monkey Island games now go with this idea, why would the last one need change it? Because Ron didn't like the idea?

If it doesn't serve the story in any real meaningful way, and there's no reason for it to change outside of the pettiness of "I didn't like the idea", then I'm glad they didn't change it.

58 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

We're told many years have past and this wouldn't be the first time they've had a bad spot in their relationship.

Yes, but the last time they had a bad spot was after the game that ended with a young, inexperienced Guybrush saying "uh oh" to a comment Elaine made about "something her husband would say" or her telling him to shut up after Guybrush tells her "it's not the size of the boat".

This time would be after not only their marriage in Curse (which could have gone badly if the team of Monkey4 wanted it to and I probably wouldn't have had a problem with it), but after the ending of Monkey5, where their love saved not only Guybrush from the dead, but "killed" LeChuck.

Sure, many years have passed, but it would take a pretty darn good explanation for me to accept that "yeah, I guess they don't talk anymore 🤷🏻‍♂️"

1 hour ago, Wally B. said:

Yeah, but some pairs are inevitable, permanent and immutable. Why couldn't it be so for Guybrush and Elaine?

The majority of Monkey Island games now go with this idea, why would the last one need change it? Because Ron didn't like the idea?

I mean... yeah?

Far be it from me to call for this, but isn't that EXACTLY what fans have been asking for? Ron's Monkey Island game? I never really asked for this, but you have to admit that it's a bit weird for people in one breath to say they want to know what Ron would do with Monkey Island if he had it back and then, when he tries to put Elaine and Guybrush's relationship into difficulty, in the next breath say 'no, not like that'

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Far be it from me to call for this, but isn't that EXACTLY what fans have been asking for? Ron's Monkey Island game? I never really asked for this, but you have to admit that it's a bit weird for people in one breath to say they want to know what Ron would do with Monkey Island if he had it back and then, when he tries to put Elaine and Guybrush's relationship into difficulty, in the next breath say 'no, not like that'

Imagine! Simultaneously demanding Ron's undiluted vision and rejecting it immediately when it arrived--what fan would *do* such a thing?! A truly comical prospect, I say. Anyhow, time for me to take a big sip of coffee and check out the GrumpyGamer comments section for the first time in six months

Edited by Niemandswasser
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

I mean... yeah?

I'm not saying he CAN'T do it, I'm saying that if he did (in this context with the last three games being canonical to his) then I probably wouldn't like it, and stated my reasons why.

I could accept it more if it was that fabled Monkey Island 3a that would have continued from 2 ignoring all the other games entirely.

Also this IS Ron's Monkey Island game, if he changed his mind and changed the dynamic of Guybrush's and Elaine's relationship from what he originally wanted, then it means that he thought it was the right call (along with Dave and the rest of the team). 

4 hours ago, tonybreznak said:

Can we talk about the new verb system? Is it automatic? What do we know about it?

It’s not identical to the system in Thimbleweed Park: Delores, but is similar. You get between one and two verbs per object, depending on the complexity of the object. If it’s a door you can look at it, and also open it (or close it if it’s already open), or if it’s a person you can look at them or talk to them. It seems like a streamlined system compared to SCUMM games, but also seems to have more complexity and discovery to it than modern one-click systems like Telltale’s.

• Like 1

This morning I started my 2 day MI marathon and I'm up to Curse. Man, it feels weird to see the ending to MI2 and know that I will never see it the same way again. Taking a break for lunch and then it's Curse and Escape. Tomorrow I'm dedicating to Tales and then it's RETURN TO MONKEY ISLAND BABY!

• Like 2

My random thought of the night. The title card that is being used for the countdown, and what I presume is the part titled the titular "Return to Monkey Island," is actually pretty unsettling. When I watched the IGN video again from yesterday, I also noticed the music has some unsettling portions to it. I'm getting some big MI2 vibes so far; there was something very unsettling about the atmosphere in that game and I'm really happy to see that vibe seemingly continue in this game.

Little over 1 day left.

Edited by demone
  • Like 2