Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

The more they show, the more I'm convinced that this game is so big that they can afford showing so many locations. I prefer to interpret all these spoilers as the result of something positive, rather than the result of what they had to do to increase hype and interest in the game.

That clock is mysterious indeed; I hope it involves a puzzle that will let us see Melee Island by day!

• Like 2

By the way, looking at this year, Devolver have been pretty reliably averaging a release about every month.

Jan 25th

March 1st

March 31st

May 5th

June 2nd

June 21st

August 11th

They haven't yet announced a release for September (though they are launching a 2021 game Inscryption on some new platforms on the 30th of this month) and the smallest gap for new releases has been about 3 weeks between them. On that basis we can probably expect a release announcement for next month of one of their upcoming games, which could be:

ReMI

McPixel 3

Wizard with a Gun

Terra Nil (though that one just says 'coming soon')

You know which one my Pieces of Eight are on.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, LowLevel said:

The more they show, the more I'm convinced that this game is so big that they can afford showing so many locations. I prefer to interpret all these spoilers as the result of something positive, rather than the result of what they had to do to increase hype and interest in the game.

That clock is mysterious indeed; I hope it involves a puzzle that will let us see Melee Island by day!

I hope your right. Sorry for being cynical everybody.

I just want to go in as blind as possible but struggling to fight the urge to watch these reveals. If i had a release date it be easier to hold out.

Bring on gamescom!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

There's no Melee Island without the map, and if there's a map, there's Hook Island to explore. At least that's how I see it ...

Believe me I hope your right.

Maybe one of the future mondays will reveal a location off the map and prove me wrong. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toymafia88 said:

Believe me I hope your right.

Maybe one of the future mondays will reveal a location off the map and prove me wrong. Fingers crossed.

Nah. We're done with the Mondays. They'll skip the next, then we'll have one last spoiler drop on Tuesday next week, and a release date in the very near future to go with it.

How's that for positivity? 😆

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

Nah. We're done with the Mondays. They'll skip the next, then we'll have one last spoiler drop on Tuesday next week, and a release date in the very near future to go with it.

How's that for positivity? 😆

That's what i'm hoping is that the mondays are just there to tide us over for the trailer next week 😆😁

Your positivity is infectious! I believe! 😆

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

There's no Melee Island without the map, and if there's a map, there's Hook Island to explore. At least that's how I see it ...

I can see the town being the lot. Afterall the circus will have moved on, the dock and stan are now in town making stans previously owned vessels redundant and its perfectly possible they had no reason to got to see meathook. Not overly happy about it but i can definitely see melee town acting as a tutorial before moving onto somewhere more substantial. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

By the way, looking at this year, Devolver have been pretty reliably averaging a release about every month.

Jan 25th

March 1st

March 31st

May 5th

June 2nd

June 21st

August 11th

They haven't yet announced a release for September (though they are launching a 2021 game Inscryption on some new platforms on the 30th of this month) and the smallest gap for new releases has been about 3 weeks between them. On that basis we can probably expect a release announcement for next month of one of their upcoming games, which could be:

ReMI

McPixel 3

Wizard with a Gun

Terra Nil (though that one just says 'coming soon')

You know which one my Pieces of Eight are on.

I certainly hope you're right!

According to the Devolver website code, they'll be release on:

Terra Nil = 1st June, 2022 (!)

Wizard with a Gub = 1st August, 2022 (!)

McPixel 3 = 1st December, 2022

Hmm...

49 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

I certainly hope you're right!

According to the Devolver website code, they'll be release on:

Terra Nil = 1st June, 2022 (!)

Wizard with a Gub = 1st August, 2022 (!)

McPixel 3 = 1st December, 2022

Hmm...

It's a good point, so I checked their twitter feed for this month

0 mentions of Wizard with a Gun

1 mention of Terra Nil (retweet of the Japan twitter account, which mentions it alongside 2 other games)

0 mentions of McPixel 3

Lots of mentions of ReMI, obviously.

If they're gearing up for the release of one of those other games, they're doing a pretty bad job of it. In the couple of months before Cult of the Lamb, they tweeted about it quite a lot.

Edited by KestrelPi

So my willpower to not watch the new Monkey Island Monday lasted... about 10 minutes 😅

I really wanted to not see the clock tower street until i play it as its honestly one of my most special nostalgic places from my video game childhood.

I just couldn't resist though so here are my thoughts:

- the clock tower street looks fantastic, beautifully captured

- love the music but its weird having it... i always liked the quietness of Melee Island. I feel like it would be more effective just having some nights sounds.

- so nice to see Wally again. Maybe im wrong but i feel like most returning characters will be on Melee Island. 

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, LowLevel said:

I´m not so sure. Theres this interview from Ron with Tim Shafer where he says he prefers when adventure games are shorter. But I hope youre right though.

I mean outside of Melee Island, we've only seen one clip on another location and a couple of screens for Monkey Island. Nothing from the Terror island as far as I can tell and I hope it stays that way. This game does seem to be massive. 

As for Ron's thoughts on length, he also did say in the commentary for MI2 special edition that he found the game very long. I think for Return though, it's much different given how much is involved in the story at this point. So, the length of the game might be informed by that, especially given all the characters in it. 

Edited by demone

5 hours ago, Marius said:

I'll probably spend the first hour just walking around the environment. 😍

* click on door * Oohhhhh iMuse transition! * click on exit * Ohhhh iMuse transition! * enter next screen * Ohhhh iMuse transition! * go back * Ohhhh iMuse transition! That last one didn't work too well though TBH. Let's try that one again.

3 hours ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

I can see the town being the lot. Afterall the circus will have moved on, the dock and stan are now in town making stans previously owned vessels redundant and its perfectly possible they had no reason to got to see meathook.

Notion rejected! All the ships have sunk in Stan's old shop. I want to go there and deep dive in ten minute increments! 🤣

5 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

Voodoo Lady's going out of business is interesting, my girlfriend said "of course she is, she doesn't have a good business model" 😂

And she has well funded competition. The three new pirate leaders seem to deal in voodoo too. Time for Guybrush to nuke those folks out.

5 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

I'm starting to feel like this is a mid-life crisis kind of moment. He never found it, he's bored, and so he decides to go back to where it all began and try to recapture his youth.

Something like that. Guybrush longs to grow, for a coming of age moment and some kind of fulfillment, but he can not understand that the pirate life is just a completely different kind of narrative. 😅 So he searches for another Bigger Whoop and finds something deeply personal instead. Wouldn't be the first time!

5 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I'd imagine she isn't even there, probably off somewhere else and we bump into her on another island.

We already had strong suspicions in this thread about what island she's actually on. I guess we'll stumble on her the same way we stumbled on her in LeChuck's Revenge, short, sharp and salty. They're estranged again, their goals in life could not align any less. They might be having a moment of deep emotional truth, one that you wouldn't expect in a Monkey Island game, and then they part ways again. I doubt that the conflict will be resolved in its entirety. I doubt we'll see a 'happy end'. We might see a bitter truth that Guybrush will have to face to finally grow up a little.

4 hours ago, demone said:

Symbols are also everywhere in this game. Could just be vandalism, another byproduct of Melee Island going south,  but they are also on ships.  

Hopefully an elaborate puzzle. And even more hopefully, one of the Pûzzlés du Rón™ that jumble their parameters every time you start a new game!

4 hours ago, LowLevel said:

The more they show, the more I'm convinced that this game is so big that they can afford showing so many locations.

That is the spiriiiit!! It's not just the entirety of the OLD Mêlée Island, ohhh nooo!! They also added MOAR locations on Melee. Then they give us three to five additional islands of equal or greater size. Ahahahahaaaa!! 🤯

16 minutes ago, demone said:

As for Ron's thoughts on length, he also did say in the commentary for MI2 special edition that he found the game very long. I think for Return though, it's much different given how much is involved in the story at this point. So, the length of the game might be informed by that, especially given all the characters in it. 

They've been working for two and a half years on this game. Less than one on LeChuck's Revenge. And compiling the game doesn't take the entire night any longer! The team is much bigger! They have more graphic designers than LeChuck has new minions! So what could go wrong? This is going to be an absurdly massive game and speedruns are going to be ten hours long.

Still want to know who this Putra is.

Edited by Vainamoinen

6 hours ago, demone said:

Nothing from the Terror island as far as I can tell

I speculate that we already had a glimpse at Terror Island, but my speculation might spoil a surprise and I don't know how to use hidden/spoiler tags in this forum.*

5 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

Then they give us three to five additional islands of equal or greater size.

I really hope that there will be a moment reminiscent of what I felt when I finished for the first time The Largo Embargo and saw the map of the archipelago. It felt an immense area to explore even before visiting the new islands. I really didn't know where to start.

Maybe Terror Island and Brr Muda will not be the only new islands to visit.

5 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

Ahahahahaaaa!! 🤯

Freakin' Yeah!

* How do people do that? Where can I find the documentation for this text editor? Can I use MarkDown? Why don't they change the CMS and do a major overhaul of the entire website rewriting everything in C64 BASIC? 😐

Edited by LowLevel
tried to fix punctuation but it was a thing on the screen

My guess is that if there is anything beyond monkey island, brr muda and terror island, it’s gonna be endgame sorts of stuff and maybe not as significant as the other places. Idk, this game just doesn’t strike me as being *way* huger than any of the previous games. And I doubt Ron would want to drag it out longer than it needs to be.