Home

PC vs. … Switch? (What will be your way of playing ReMI?)

BillyCheers

PC vs. … Switch? (What will be your way of playing ReMI?)  

42 members have voted

1. 1. On what platform will you play ReMI?

• PC / Mac – The only way to play an Adventure game!
    • Switch / other console – Can't beat beating a game from sofa!
    • All available – The more, the better!

I think it's time to ask the ultimate question: What is the secret of Monkey Island? How will you play ReMI - and why?

I've already said in the other thread that I'm tending towards the Switch version - and I've made up my mind now. I just trust that the controller controls will be intuitive and as much fun!
The reasons for me are also that I can easily play the game from the sofa on a large OLED TV with a sound system. However, maybe I'll get it on the Mac at a later date to play it again in its full P&C glory. 

So... I'm curious for the poll results and to hear your decision/reasons!

(By the way, in the future we could share and discuss the differences between the two versions here, too. :) )

I'll play it on my mac (mostly because I don't have a Switch and don't intend on buying one)

I'll certainly try the controller support though, and maybe go back and forth to see how it feels, but I'll probably end up using the mouse controls :comp9:

• Like 1

I'm a switch gamer, baby! I spend each and every working day on my computer, so gaming is mostly a sofa deal for me. I played Thimbleweed Park on Switch too and it was a blast (played it mostly on handheld mode, because of the touch screen controls).

If When it releases physically I'll be getting the PC version though, because I own every other Monkey Island game on PC.

Edit: Just pre-ordered it, that horse armour is MINE!!

Edited by Lagomorph01
  • Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

I chose PC, but I don't think it's the only way to play an adventure game, I'd just like to play this with a mouse, the first time. Also, my games PC is hooked up to my TV, as is my Switch so that doesn't make any difference to my choice - it's not like I'll be playing it in handheld mode so I might as well get the version that'll run in higher resolution and support more control modes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tmetic said:

PC would be my first choice but I don't think my laptop will be up to the job, so I'll have to default to Switch. I've got a modest 32" TV so I'll probably play in handheld mode... or move the sofa closer. 

Not sure if I should post this under another thread or not, but I've been looking at the specs and trying to do some research online but it's making my head dizzy (I'm so out of the loop with current processors and graphics cards its ridiculous).

Anyways,  wanted to ask: Am I good? Or will I have troubles?

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 9.21.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 9.33.27 PM.png

Edited by madmardi

55 minutes ago, madmardi said:

Not sure if I should post this under another thread or not, but I've been looking at the specs and trying to do some research online but it's making my head dizzy (I'm so out of the loop with current processors and graphics cards its ridiculous).

Anyways,  wanted to ask: Am I good? Or will I have troubles?

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 9.21.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 9.33.27 PM.png

I think you're probably okay? I checked the spec of a 2015 macbook pro against those graphics card requirements and it came out comparable:

C3DdDmU.png

I couldn't find anything to directly compare the cards, but I reckon if your system has a bottleneck it'll be the graphics card. I think you'll get away with it though. Disclaimer: I dunno, really but it looks OK to me.

• Thanks 2

I think that point and click games are best played on PC with a mouse, However, every time I sit on my PC to play something I get distracted. I end up doing some work stuff or browsing Twitter or watching something on Youtube. Switch has became a more focused gaming device for me.

I played Thimbleweed Park on the Switch too and it was very well done so without the verb bar, I think RTMI will be even better

I pre-ordered from Steam to get the horse armor and have the familiar PC point-and-click experience.  But I think I might buy it on Switch as well for laying around in bed and playing on the big screen TV.  The game is cheap enough that I don't really mind double-dipping.

7 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

I think you're probably okay? I checked the spec of a 2015 macbook pro against those graphics card requirements and it came out comparable:

C3DdDmU.png

I couldn't find anything to directly compare the cards, but I reckon if your system has a bottleneck it'll be the graphics card. I think you'll get away with it though. Disclaimer: I dunno, really but it looks OK to me.

Thanks! I really appreciate that you did the comparison!

Edited by madmardi

5 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

Was this about Bosco's voice in the remaster?

Superficially yes, but if you get so angry about a changed voice actor in the - no offense - "high art" that is a Sam & Max game, the problem most likely ran deeper.

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

Superficially yes, but if you get so angry about a changed voice actor in the - no offense - "high art" that is a Sam & Max game, the problem most likely ran deeper.

Maybe? But maybe not; internet fans can be awfully petty for its own sake - I kind of wish people would factor that in more often.

With RMI and its artstyle complainers, I've seen people on reddit speculate that the haters must have bad jobs and unfulfilled lives, and they take it out on a video game. With Star Wars products nowadays, people say that haters must be misogynist racists.

That wasn't the case in the late 90s and early 00s. With Star Wars Prequels or with EMI, you could be a fan while heaping all kinds of vile hate onto the products. You could hate, and complain, and argue, and nobody would question your ulterior motives. If you happened to be hating the Star Wars Prequels, then TV/magazine media would pat you on the back and hate right alongside you.

Edited by BaronGrackle

30 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

That wasn't the case in the late 90s and early 00s. With Star Wars Prequels or with EMI, you could be a fan while heaping all kinds of vile hate onto the products. You could hate, and complain, and argue, and nobody would question your ulterior motives. If you happened to be hating the Star Wars Prequels, then TV/magazine media would pat you on the back and hate right alongside you

I don't know if that's exactly the case, it is true that people hating on things wasn't as much of a big deal, but I'm not sure that media would hate things with you. From what I know, EMI and the prequels were generally well received when they came out at the time by media. Sure, people would complain in forums online and (in the Prequels case) maybe make a bit of a fuss in TV and in magazines.

The thing that's changed today, and why it has become such a big deal, is that almost everybody today voices their opinions on every small little things that happens ever and thanks to twitter and hashtags and junk it reaches everybody else, so that what were 500 guys in a forum in the 90s, now are literally the whole population of Earth.

Magazines and websites latch on to this kind of crap because drama makes numbers and they care more about numbers and sales than actual quality, and they feed the drama train that continues to go until the next thing to complain about comes and then it switches to that.

Also, generally speaking, people tended to wait for things to be finished before judging and complaining about it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Wally B. said:

Magazines and websites latch on to this kind of crap because drama makes numbers and they care more about numbers and sales than actual quality, and they feed the drama train that continues to go until the next thing to complain about comes and then it switches to that.

Yes, and one final piece of this puzzle: The echo chambers that give people a misjudged sense of confidence in their own opinions. They wander around the internet convinced that anyone who has a different opinion to them isn't just wrong, but mentally defective, morally bankrupt, and probably a child molester, too.

It's all become so tribal, and there's no room for grey anymore :(

Oh, and one more thing: There's a generation of people who grew up thinking being famous on the internet is a lofty life goal. (Which bends my old and out-of-touch mind -- being famous on the internet is one step above village idiot to me.) Those people seem to often mistake espousing an opinion in a confident manner as being the same as having deep experience and knowledge... and boy do they get upset when you correct them.

46 minutes ago, Wally B. said:

I don't know if that's exactly the case, it is true that people hating on things wasn't as much of a big deal, but I'm not sure that media would hate things with you. From what I know, EMI and the prequels were generally well received when they came out at the time by media.

This is a sincere question because I don't really have a gauge on how old everyone is: Do you have strong memories of when the Star Wars special editions and Episode I: The Phantom Menace came out?

People talk about twitter being toxic and an echo chamber. But just ask Jake Lloyd or Ahmed Best if it was a few rogue twitter comments that got to them.

"Media backlash".

• Like 1