Home

Project Big Box love: Recreating the boxes of Lucasarts games with the whole package: floppy disks, manual and wheel

On 11/28/2022 at 2:16 PM, Laserschwert said:

Just so we're on the same page, don't sell anything with any of my restorations or pattern recreations on it. Feel free to share your files for everybody to print them themselves, though, of course.

Hello @Laserschwert, of course I won't unless I have approval for it :)

If I wanted to do it without approval, I wouldn't have shared the project with all of you in this forum ! 

My first goal was to do it for myself so it is.  I just want to see what will be the result from the spanish printing company and the average cost of a print.

I will surely try pack.ly to have a comparison.

And for the files (to answer @ThunderPeel2001), I'm thinking about creating a Git repo or something like that with all files (manuals, PDF, etc) for the different boxes I will recreate so everyone will have access to.  I already done it for the MI1 manual.

Stay tuned, results in 2 weeks ! (box printing is launched)

Edited by bennywhitebread
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, TimeGentleman said:

Looks great! There are a few typos, though...

Hi time !  Sorry I guess the images upload didn't go well so I have uploaded them again.  Go it about the typos in Front box (Yale and . at the end)

It was a POC so I will have another one fixed soon ! Stay tuned !

There are a few more: on the front, "galatic" should be "galactic"; on the back, "environment" should (I think, though any reference pics I found had different text here so I can't be sure it's not just odd phrasing) be "environments", "others systems" should be "other systems", and I think the colon just before that last one should really be a semicolon, but that's being rather picky!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 7:18 PM, TimeGentleman said:

There are a few more: on the front, "galatic" should be "galactic"; on the back, "environment" should (I think, though any reference pics I found had different text here so I can't be sure it's not just odd phrasing) be "environments", "others systems" should be "other systems", and I think the colon just before that last one should really be a semicolon, but that's being rather picky!

Thanks for the feedbacks !  Corrected !  

Will have some serious sessions about corrections before going live :) 

@ThunderPeel2001 Well it feel the same and even more solid really ! It comes from a company in Spain.  I had a second one from them and it looks even way better than the first one.  They admitted there was a printing problem with the first one, send me another one free and it looks incredible and really strong ! But as said, you have to order 100 (but the prices are really correct !)

I didn't find any online service where you can buy those big boxes as trong as this one (2mm thick).  Pack.ly only propose 0.5mm.... And I didn't hear it was enough quality for big boxes.

I'm finishing another one :)

Capture-d-e-cran-2023-01-25-a-21-41-16.p

Capture-d-e-cran-2023-01-25-a-21-42-24.p

Capture-d-e-cran-2023-01-25-a-21-43-32.p

On 1/10/2023 at 7:18 PM, TimeGentleman said:

Just checked the back and the DOS version is 'environment' without S...I agree it feels weird :) 

The Amiga and Atari versions have other texts as you mentioned ! (Didn't even see this since I'm working on DOS version)

14 hours ago, bennywhitebread said:

Thanks for the feedbacks !  Corrected !  

Will have some serious sessions about corrections before going live :) 

Just checked the back and the DOS version is 'environment' without S...I agree it feels weird :) 

The Amiga and Atari versions have other texts as you mentioned ! (Didn't even see this since I'm working on DOS version)

You're welcome! I guess they are referring to the game's world as a whole as a single 3D environment, rather than the individual rooms. That does feel like a stranger way of phrasing it to me, but I had considered it as an option which is why I tried to check the original box. Didn't think to search specifically for the DOS one!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 2:56 PM, bennywhitebread said:

Hello @Laserschwert, of course I won't unless I have approval for it :)

If I wanted to do it without approval, I wouldn't have shared the project with all of you in this forum !

Are you kidding me? HERE you are offering a pre-order form for your Zak boxes. Which part of "don't sell boxes with my restorations on it" did you have trouble with?

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

Are you kidding me? HERE you are offering a pre-order form for your Zak boxes. Which part of "don't sell boxes with my restorations on it" did you have trouble with?

To be fair, he's setup his Google Form wrong so nobody can get access to it even if they wanted to 😅

I don't understand this bit of the blog...

That’s why I was going to make it for “Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders”, one of the very first point ‘n click adventure games from Ron Gilbert’s (creator of Monkey Island) universe, created in 1988.

How is Ron Gilbert connected to Zak McKracken? It was a David Fox joint! 

15 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

Hi laserschwert, I'm not offering anything at the moment and won't.

I was just polling the community before going to this last step but regarding the reactions, I just edited my article and remove the form.

Case closed.

I thought it was a good idea to make those boxes with crazy prices affordable for everyone (with all content) sold as REPRO but I guess I was wrong.

I will keep recreating it for myself !

4 hours ago, bennywhitebread said:

Hi laserschwert, I'm not offering anything at the moment and won't.

I was just polling the community before going to this last step but regarding the reactions, I just edited my article and remove the form.

Case closed.

I thought it was a good idea to make those boxes with crazy prices affordable for everyone (with all content) sold as REPRO but I guess I was wrong.

I will keep recreating it for myself !

Why not share the art files, like Laserschwert has done with his work? That way, anyone who would like to make their own box could just do it themselves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ramen said:

Why not share the art files, like Laserschwert has done with his work? That way, anyone who would like to make their own box could just do it themselves.

I thought about it. Directly share the pack.ly template made but I think it will be easy for someone to use it fraudulently.

Anyone can take the whole PDF, delete the repro sentence and use it to flood auction. 

What do all of you think about it ?  But it's clearly an option

18 hours ago, bennywhitebread said:

I thought about it. Directly share the pack.ly template made but I think it will be easy for someone to use it fraudulently.

Anyone can take the whole PDF, delete the repro sentence and use it to flood auction. 

I'm interested in this project as well. But due to concern of someone using it fraudulently, is it possible to share just the box size and measurement without the print art? For me the difficult part is to get the box size right, print art can get from other sources. 

23 hours ago, NGKS said:

I'm interested in this project as well. But due to concern of someone using it fraudulently, is it possible to share just the box size and measurement without the print art? For me the difficult part is to get the box size right, print art can get from other sources. 

Mine is 233x180x41mm. Measures taken from my original DOTT big box.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:11 PM, bennywhitebread said:

Hmm, that's a risk, but it seems a shame to limit access to these files because of them, though.

One thought: If the market was flooded with repros, the price would plummet, making them less exclusive and so less profitable for any unscrupulous people.

Plus, with all due respect, I'm pretty sure there'll still be telltale differences that a collector could spot (although some would likely be duped).

Of course, that doesn't prevent LS's work from being exploited (although that's already the case with his print work on poster websites, I guess?)

On 2/18/2023 at 8:24 AM, Ramen said:

The google form is accessible, you have to request access from the owner is all, nothing wrong with that.

That's not how Google Forms work. You can either limit it to people in your organisation or make the form public. (Unlike other Google Drive documents there's no way to request access through the click of a button.)

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 13.26.28.png

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

3 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

That's not how Google Forms work. You can either limit it to people in your organisation or make the form public. (Unlike other Google Drive documents there's no way to request access through the click of a button.)

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 13.26.28.png

Then this document was a regular Google Drive document, because it had a big, fat 'Request access' button when you tried to access it, and that screenshot is not a screenshot of the page in question.

It looked like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

PS. It is seemingly possible to create this scenario with a google form as well, by sending out the wrong link to a public form (copying it directly from the address bar):

How To Remove Request Edit Access Button On A Google Form

If your users are seeing the request edit access button on your form, it is likely that you are sharing the incorrect link.

When creating the form, if you just copy the link from your URL bar the copy of the form that your users will see will contain the request edit access button.

If you want to share it without the request edit access button you need to use the “Send” button or add /viewform the end of your link.

Edited by Ramen

Hello to all big boxes lovers :) Guys I work on my replicas LucasArts big boxes (from Manic to Fate) nice photos soon... but need Our help... I need help with bottom sides for Maniac need HQ scans or something. I need this texts only:

9014835-maniac-mansion-spinesides.jpg

I made it with using this page https://bigjpg.com/

I work in gimp ;) and my final project size is 3369x3915 so I use upscaling to make it side patter a little smoth... feel free to use in your own project !!!

fyJgTIi.jpg

Edited by Nfsfan83