Home

Project Big Box love: Recreating the boxes of Lucasarts games with the whole package: floppy disks, manual and wheel

On 2/20/2023 at 4:57 PM, Ramen said:

that screenshot is not a screenshot of the page in question.

That screenshot is what I saw 🤷‍♂️ Perhaps it was edited after I made my post. Either way, as I already said, you can't request access in the way you described. It's not how Google Forms work. (This is a fascinating conversation, btw.)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

11 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

That screenshot is what I saw 🤷‍♂️ Perhaps it was edited after I made my post. Either way, as I already said, you can't request access in the way you described. It's not how Google Forms work. (This is a fascinating conversation, btw.)

How To Remove Request Edit Access Button On A Google Form

If your users are seeing the request edit access button on your form, it is likely that you are sharing the incorrect link.

When creating the form, if you just copy the link from your URL bar the copy of the form that your users will see will contain the request edit access button.

If you want to share it without the request edit access button you need to use the “Send” button or add /viewform the end of your link.

Except that is a random quote from a random website and you've completely misunderstood it 🤷‍♂️

Here's a Google Form that ends in /edit (straight from the URL bar): 
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/12nkOE0-xXeG1M-D_9pqTagbfgVPIPot5sDqMoNSPpIU/edit

Tell me what happens when you click on it.

You see this...

image.png

Honestly, if you want to discuss this further, then perhaps we can spare everyone and continue in DMs.

9 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

That's to request EDIT ACCESS to the form (ie. the ability to administer the form: the questions, the answers, see the results, etc.). 

Which would allow you to send an access request to the person who made the form.

And this was the button on the page in question. And your screenshot is from a random website. So it was probably a goggle doc. and not a form.

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 22.43.03.png

Edited by Ramen

Three facts:

1. The screenshot I posted is what I saw.

2. The screenshot you posted is to a Google Doc (not a Google Form). So presumably it was changed (possibly after I pointed out that it was broken.)

3. You cannot request access to a Google Form in the way you can with Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides, despite what you think you've read online.

Not really worth talking about any more 🤷‍♂️

On 2/20/2023 at 2:22 PM, ThunderPeel2001 said:

That's not how Google Forms work. You can either limit it to people in your organisation or make the form public. (Unlike other Google Drive documents there's no way to request access through the click of a button.)

This is your statement to me. 

This is the button you can click to send an access request to the creator of a google form if they use the wrong link.

I agree that it's not worth talking about anymore, and that it is possible to send an access request with both a form using the wrong link and a google doc through the click of a button, notifying the creator. So I am unsure why you keep replying. 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 22.36.46.png

2 hours ago, Ramen said:

This is the button you can click to send an access request to the creator of a google form if they use the wrong link.

You don't know what you're talking about and it's absolutely maddening 🤦‍♂️ If you're trolling me, then congrats, you win.

Google Forms are used to collect data from users. They are, quite simply, a collection of fields. Eg. Enter your name, email address, how many Zak McKraken boxes you want, etc.

Strangely you're arguing that bennywhitebread instead used a Google Doc (which is Google's equivalent to a Microsoft Word Document, but shared online) to collect information from potential buyers of his Zak recreation. That makes no sense to me, because it would mean everyone could see and edit everyone else's personal information. But I haven't bothered disputing that.

With a Google Doc you can have three permission types: Viewer, Commenter or Editor. If you don't even have basic "Viewer" permissions then you see the screenshot that you shared if you try to view it (where you can request access from the document owner). 

With Google Forms there is no equivalent to this because Google Forms have two sides: The editor side (where you can change the form and see all the results/submitted data, including any email addresses if you require them) and the public-facing side (where the general public fill out the form).

If you built your Google Form as built as part of an organisation then you have two options for the public-facing side: Limit to your organisation or make completely public. (If you're not part of an organisation then your form is just public by default.)

In other words, there is never a state where someone who wants to fill out your form can request access to it. It is either public or closed only to members of an organisation. 

The only thing you can request is edit access, but even then that's only visible if you have access to the public-facing form(!). Edit access is how you view all the privately held data submitted by users, and how you change/delete the form itself.

Why you think bennywhitebread would give edit access to strangers is another thing that makes no sense to me. 

There is no situation where a Google Form will ever present you with the screenshot you've shared (which was for a Google Doc). Nor does it make any sense that bennywhitebread would give access to a Google Doc for people to fill out (unless it was a temporary moment of madness on his part).

If you still think I'm wrong, the solution is simple: Make your own Google Form that shows the screenshot you shared when you visit it. I will happily eat crow if you can do this!

Again, if you're trolling me. Then congrats, you win.

thank-you-bow.gif

On 2/20/2023 at 2:22 PM, ThunderPeel2001 said:

That's not how Google Forms work. You can either limit it to people in your organisation or make the form public. (Unlike other Google Drive documents there's no way to request access through the click of a button.)

This is your statement to me. This is what I responded to.

There is a button you can click to send an access request to the creator of a google form if they use the wrong link, like shown several times. So obviously there is A way to request access through the click of a single button. I never said the button on the google form was what was shown, I in fact have done the complete opposite the whole time.

I'm not sure why you are so aggressive, or accuse me of ´trolling´, because from my side, you are acting completely bonkers. You do not seem like a very nice person. And I know perfectly well how a google doc functions.

The whole point is that you were able to request access through a blue button, which I have stated the whole time. Why you keep insisting on grinding on about this is beyond my comprehension, but it feels like you are dead set on just being rude and mean and try to make me out to be some kind of it idiot. Knock yourself out. Have your little victory dance. I'm out.

6 hours ago, AndywinXp said:

How did this discussion over Google Docs/Forms/whatever technicalities become so heated? Please calm down

I took the time to explain in great technical detail what they were misunderstanding. It was frustrating to do, but there were no personal attacks, and I was very thorough in my explanation. (And I honestly wasn't sure if I was being trolled.)

I happen to be going through a big Google Drive project in my company at the moment, so this is all very fresh in my mind. 

It's frustrating for anyone when someone insists that grass isn't green (or some other fact you know to be true), but my response wasn't heated (maybe it read that way, but it wasn't written that way).

6 hours ago, Ramen said:

There is a button you can click to send an access request to the creator of a google form if they use the wrong link, like shown several times.

Dude, I can't think of any way to explain it any clearer than I already have. I promise you that the answer as to why this is wrong lies within the long message that has caused you so much offence.

1 minute ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Dude, I can't think of any way to explain it any clearer than I already have. I promise you that the answer as to why this is wrong lies within the long message that has caused you so much offence.

1. I'm not a dude.
2. No one forced you to 'explain' or respond to anything (like you stated before you edited your post for the gazillionth time, like you do with every post, let us know when you are done next time).
3. Like I said, I'm out. Please let it go. You're acting completely nuts.

5 minutes ago, Ramen said:

1. I'm not a dude.
2. No one forced you to 'explain' or respond to anything (like you stated before you edited your post for the gazillionth time, like you do with every post, let us know when you are done next time).
3. Like I said, I'm out. Please let it go. You're acting completely nuts.

1. Apologies if I got your gender wrong. My bad.

2. No, I took the time to try and explain why you were misunderstanding something. (Also, it's true. I'm an avid re-editor, I can't help it.)

3. More personal attacks 🤷‍♂️

On 2/22/2023 at 10:26 PM, Nfsfan83 said:

Hello to all big boxes lovers :) Guys I work on my replicas LucasArts big boxes (from Manic to Fate) nice photos soon... but need Our help... I need help with bottom sides for Maniac need HQ scans or something. I need this texts only:

9014835-maniac-mansion-spinesides.jpg

I made it with using this page https://bigjpg.com/

I work in gimp ;) and my final project size is 3369x3915 so I use upscaling to make it side patter a little smoth... feel free to use in your own project !!!

fyJgTIi.jpg

Watch out for the top side, you need to rotate to 180°,

If you print like this, the logo will be inverted when you will assemble the box.

On 2/25/2023 at 3:31 PM, Nfsfan83 said:

Guys, anybody still working on big boxes replicas??? Show your work ;)

Finishing this one: Lure of Temptress :)

Capture-d-e-cran-2023-03-01-a-12-55-06.p

Edited by bennywhitebread
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/19/2023 at 12:08 PM, ThunderPeel2001 said:

How/where did you get this printed? It actually looks incredible sturdy!

It is self-adhesive photo paper A3 print at home on inkjet

The box I make also it’s 2mm cardboard the box get very hard and sturdy. It can’t be folded so I cut and glue it. 
then print and cut the paper, glue it on, fold it and finish 😃

It just needs to be exact size so the box and wrap match

yVlVixS.jpg
tPQGKKC.jpg
rWa2M1u.jpg
qlpqDkX.jpg
VAswV5b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Wow 2