Home

Return to Monkey Island [SPOILER FREE]

ThunderPeel2001

Maybe this'll get removed from by admins for good reasons that I can't think of, but here goes:

I don't want to check the Return to Monkey Island thread until I've completed the game now, but I'd still like to keep myself abreast of (non-spoilery) updates, news, chit chat, and just generally entertain myself while the Unbearable Waitslowly crushes my spirit. 

And maybe this thread can also be a place to discuss spoiler-free opinions on ReMI once it's released, but before someone has completed it.

Only 19 days to go... I can survive this

zach-galifianakis-angry.gif

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 3

I think it might be worth making an actual spoiler sub forum that goes live when the game does, for people to post about hints and whatever else. For now a spoiler free thread makes sense to me at least 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jake said:

I think it might be worth making an actual spoiler sub forum that goes live when the game does, for people to post about hints and whatever else. For now a spoiler free thread makes sense to me at least 🤷‍♂️

Personally I think hints should be a seperate thread so people can ask for help without inadvertently reading story spoilers.  I don't want to accidentally find out what the Secret of Monkey Island is while I'm trying to figure out what order to put the skulls :p 

Edited by OzzieMonkey

4 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

Of course, there's always the possibility that the game's hint system is so good that we won't need external help. 

I’m hoping that’s the case. It certainly was when I replayed Thimbleweed Park recently. Much better to keep it in game than have to Google for answers and accidentally get spoiled. 

Although it’s hard to avoid spoilers these days. I was searching for a work thing the other day and got a screen grab from (what I correctly guessed) was the final shot of Better Call Saul. My favourite show that I’d avoided all spoilers for for years! 😬

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

I was searching for a work thing the other day and got a screen grab from (what I correctly guessed) was the final shot of Better Call Saul. My favourite show that I’d avoided all spoilers for for years! 😬

I hate it when that happens. It’s almost unavoidable.
Some people think it’s okay to spoil things without warning when they’re from older movies/shows/games. I think some people deserve to have their house toilet papered.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I hate it when that happens. It’s almost unavoidable.
Some people think it’s okay to spoil things without warning when they’re from older movies/shows/games. I think some people deserve to have their house toilet papered.

Thankfully it didn't ruin a huge amount, but considering how careful I'd been, especially during the last season, it was a bit maddening.

• Like 1

Yes, I really would like a spoiler-free place to hang out and discuss about Return to Monkey Island!

While I want to steer clear of spoilers, I would also like to discover/discuss non-gameplay topics while playing it, like how the game was received, if the developers said something interesting and generally if something has happened about the game that can be shared without affecting my playthrough how do I put here that emoticon oh here it is. 😐

• Like 2

Question to those who know the forum better than me: can I expect to find zero spoilers in the title of the topics listed in the "General Discussion" category?

I don't know whether I should bookmark this discussion and visit it without looking at the category page, or whether it is safe to visit the category page as well.

In case you were wondering: Yes, the "other" ReMI thread DOES include things you probably don't want to see. I just popped my head in and saw a sentence from Dave Grossman I didn't want to read about Guybrush, his motivations and what the theme of the game is. Thankfully I managed to stop reading before anything was revealed, but just incase you were wondering...

Only 13 days 11 hours to go 😬 

https://mixnmojo.com/countdown/

• Like 1

Sooo.... as soon as RtMI is releasing I'm planning on going dark until I complete it. No twitter, no Facebook groups, no reviews, and no Mojo forums (even the spoiler-free ones) as I really don't want to be influenced by anyone else's opinions until I've completed it. Hopefully I have time right away, but life's pretty busy at the moment so it may be a matter of weeks (months?) rather than days if I want to complete it all on my own.

Anyways, my only concern with all this is I want to know if and when any big box physical release is available and not miss out on any preordering etc. My question is - will the main mixnmojo news page be a good place to periodically check? In other words, will it remain spoiler free?

• Chef's Kiss 1

1 hour ago, madmardi said:

Sooo.... as soon as RtMI is releasing I'm planning on going dark until I complete it. No twitter, no Facebook groups, no reviews, and no Mojo forums (even the spoiler-free ones) as I really don't want to be influenced by anyone else's opinions until I've completed it. Hopefully I have time right away, but life's pretty busy at the moment so it may be a matter of weeks (months?) rather than days if I want to complete it all on my own.

Anyways, my only concern with all this is I want to know if and when any big box physical release is available and not miss out on any preordering etc. My question is - will the main mixnmojo news page be a good place to periodically check? In other words, will it remain spoiler free?

While we haven't had an official editorial meeting about it, we'll definitely make sure to keep it spoiler free for a couple of weeks. There'll obviously be some news, but we have a spoiler tag for anything minor -- the major stuff will be links to elsewhere, internally (separate page, below the cut, etc.) or externally.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Toymafia88 said:

Is it weird i'm really excited for reviews of Return to Monkey Island.

Oh wow. I actually just realised I want to avoid them... If they're great, I'll be expecting too much. If they're average I'll be heartbroken. 

Damn... do scores count as spoilers? I guess not 😬 [Starts making plans for a bunker]

This is an important question for me because, while playing the game, I may need to take a sneak peek at the scores for an editorial activity in which I am participating.

So I am trying to figure out if it is possible to acquire this information without accidentally reading reports about the game's content. Reading only the Metacritic score should be easy, but visiting the actual review pages could prove dangerous.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Oh wow. I actually just realised I want to avoid them... If they're great, I'll be expecting too much. If they're average I'll be heartbroken. 

Damn... do scores count as spoilers? I guess not 😬 [Starts making plans for a bunker]

Ha i get you.

What i tend to do is check the score and see if Mix n Mojo and Ag like it. Then i play the game and then i read the review properly after finishing the game. 😁

• Like 1

18 hours ago, madmardi said:

I am so with you on this. I’ll be checking back with Mojo after my time with ReMI in my zombie bunker!

(At least on the Monkey Island threads, I’ll discuss The Dig with anyone anytime!)

• Like 2