Home

Return to Monkey Island [SPOILER FREE]

ThunderPeel2001

19 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I have so many contradicting feelings about it! I'm actually a bit afraid to start playing the game tonight...

I feel like this game is gonna be great, but can it really fulfil the excitement I've been feeling the last couple of months?

I'm just so anxious....!!

Be excited that this is Ron Gilbert with a new Monkey Island game.

Don't be excited for a game that you've been waiting 30 years for that finishes a trilogy... Ron has said repeatedly that game never existed. Even though this is the Secret he had in mind for 1990, he did not have anything about this game or its story yet. He was going to do something with Guybrush in hell. This isn't Monkey Island 3a; don't hype for it to be that game.

Hype yourself by thinking of all the games Ron Gilbert has made that you like, the ones from decades ago as well as the modern ones. This is another one of those.

Maybe that will temper the anxiety about fulfillment.

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 3

Thanks, for the kind words, @BaronGrackle!

I never really thought of this as Monkey 3a or the last in a trilogy, or the game that Ron wanted to make 30 years ago, so that's not what's eating me. I'm just a bit anxious that I've overexcited myself for the last couple of months. I want to play this and enjoy it, but I'm scared I might've overhyped it.

We'll see, maybe my own fear of my expectations tampers my expectations so mucht that it'll surpass my every expectation? Or is that a paradox waiting to happen? If the universe explodes after release... Sorry, my bad!

48 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Ron set out to make a straight pirate adventure. Just set your expectations on that.

I don't want to do it. When "The Secret of Monkey Island" was created, along with its sequel, the games functioned as a spark that triggered the birth of a cult-like social phenomenon, decades-long discussions and wild theories about their underlying meanings. The authors did not even imagine the repercussions the games would have over time, because for them it was simply a good pirate adventure.

In assessing what the first two games meant to me, I would attribute more value to all the discussions I had for years than the games themselves. The questions never answered are for me more important that playing a game. Finding out what the infamous "secret" is is more exciting to me than simply playing the game. And I also enjoyed reading the scholarly papers that were written about the games; I hope to see more of them fueled by what Noah envisioned.

Don't get me wrong, I will enjoy the game for what it is in its most practical form: a game to play. But I don't want to limit my expectations and hopes to avoid possible disappointments. I did not wait 30 years to suppress my hopes and emotions and I prefer to embrace my expectations fully, without limiting them. And if I will not find in the new game what I hoped for, then and only then, I will activate the "it's a straight pirate adventure" mode. 😉

• Like 4

An important reminder:

aHzr2aS.jpg

Ron Gilbert: "The problem with the 'Secret' of Monkey Island... is that it's built up such a mystique, that when I finally reveal it, you're going to go, 'That was dumb' :)"

8 minutes ago, LowLevel said:

I don't want to do it

Chances of having a disappointing next few weeks... moderate to high ;) Your choice, of course, if that's what you wish! 👍

(Actually I was disappointed when I first played Monkey Island 2 -- I just loved the first game SO much. It took me a long while to fully accept it for what it was and enjoy it. Funny how I only just remembered that.)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 3
  • Chef's Kiss 1

45 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

An important reminder:

aHzr2aS.jpg

Ron Gilbert: "The problem with the 'Secret' of Monkey Island... is that it's built up such a mystique, that when I finally reveal it, you're going to go, 'That was dumb' :)"

Chances of having a disappointing next few weeks... moderate to high ;) Your choice, of course, if that's what you wish! 👍

(Actually I was disappointed when I first played Monkey Island 2 -- I just loved the first game SO much. It took me a long while to fully accept it for what it was and enjoy it. Funny how I only just remembered that.)

Same here. I was initally disappointed with all the sequels apart from Tales, I think because I expected them to be exactly the same as the game that preceded them, for some reason(?!)

Anyway, this time round I have learned my lesson and have no expectations whatsoever, except that it's going to be the greatest thing that has ever happened in the whole wide world.

Edited by tmetic
  • Haha 3
  • Chef's Kiss 1

16 hours ago, LowLevel said:

A small positive news about RtMI: it's currently at position #11 in Steam top selling games. 🙂 (Source)

I really really hope that the developers will feel satisfied with the results. They deserve it!

It's now #3!

Edit: I think. It's a bit confusing... there's no #2?

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

OMG,😂 I tried to ██████████  the █████ and when █████████████ all red and it ████████████████████. Then I thought: "██ █ ████ █████████ ██ █████ ██ ███ ███████!" and after I checked ██ ███████ it was that! 😂 😂😂😂😂 ROTFL Help, I can't breath!!! 🤣

• Haha 2

Absolutely adoring the game so far. One minor thing that's annoying me a bit, unrelated to the actual game itself tho, and it would be super easy for them to patch this. As far as I can tell there's no way to get guybrush to walk continuously in the direction of the pointer in panning shots without spam-clicking. I liked how in thimbleweed park you could just hold down the mouse cursor in panning shots to move all the way across them, but now it seems the guybrush doesn't start moving until you let go of the mouse button, which makes the game feel slightly less responsive than I'd like. Maybe controller is the way to go?

Edited by Knight Owl
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Knight Owl said:

Absolutely adoring the game so far. One minor thing that's annoying me a bit, unrelated to the actual game itself tho, and it would be super easy for them to patch this. As far as I can tell there's no way to get guybrush to walk continuously in the direction of the pointer in panning shots without spam-clicking. I liked how in thimbleweed park you could just hold down the mouse cursor in panning shots to move all the way across them, but now it seems the guybrush doesn't start moving until you let go of the mouse button, which makes the game feel slightly less responsive than I'd like. Maybe controller is the way to go?

Update, controller feels really fluid and extremely responsive. Might just go with that.

Something about the way the point and click controls don't respond until you let go of the mouse makes the controls feel clunky psychologically to me, like there's a slight delay between what I'm trying to do and when Guybrush actually does it. Which is a real shame because I don't think any other point and click adventure i've played works this way

Edited by Knight Owl

I am playing through chapter 2 and the only things I can say without adding spoilers are my reactions so far:

• Laughter and giggles
  • I love the narrative approach
  • My opinion of the art style has improved from "OK" to "very nice"

I've also peeked at the review scores and I'm happy with the positive results. 🙂

• Chef's Kiss 1

17 hours ago, Al.DeHyde said:

Hope the baby is feeling better today @Lagomorph01!

The baby felt way better yesterday, and slept like a... well, baby! Thanks for your comment. 🙂

I finally got around to some more monkey business and I love what they're doing! The art style also really works for me. I thought I'd have more problems with stubby legs Guybrush, but I really like how it brings out the shortness of his stature, like it did in MI2! Still not a fan of the tween animation, but since it creates so much opportunity for detail I'm really not complaining! Also I love how the backgrounds have different layers and effects. It really brings out the depth in them. I'll might really start to miss those the next time I'll play MI 1 to 4.

I have some more opinions. They're not really spoilers but I wouldn't like reading them here, so I'll save those for when I open the spoiler thread.

• Like 2