Home

Return to Monkey Island [SPOILER FREE]

ThunderPeel2001

1 hour ago, Laserschwert said:

I wish people would already record some of the in-game music. I'd like to listen to the soundtrack outside the game!

I’m tempted to do a music-only stream or something like it just to be able to hear it in isolation. 

Got an extremely mild bug in my last play session. Guybrush didn't stop his walking animation during a dialogue tree, and kept walking on the spot while talking.

This is a very common glitch throughout gaming, and I just found it funny. Didn't mind it one bit. I hope other people are also blessed to see it somewhere in their playthrough.

Edited by Guybrush Transmasc

I hope they'll add the soundtrack on Steam, as Terrible Toybox did for Thimbleweed Park!

I'm still playing the game at a slow pace, but one more reason to finish it is that I want to visit the spoiler-full category of the forum and join the Kool Kids Klub.

Edited by LowLevel
What an ambiguous acronym.
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, LowLevel said:

I hope they'll add the soundtrack on Steam, as Terrible Toybox did for Thimbleweed Park!

I'm still playing the game at a slow pace, but one more reason to finish it is that I want to visit the spoiler-full category of the forum and join the Kool Kids Klub.

There's a lower tier thread for people who finished the Prelude!

8 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

There's a lower tier thread for people who finished the Prelude!

Yes, I tried to read that thread but my spidey sense started to tingle as if some statements wouldn't have been written if the writer didn't have post-prelude information. It was more of a feeling than anything else, but I'd rather go into that forum section when I finish the game. 🙂

• Like 3

I have turned on the "all dialogues" option and can confirm that it affects the pace of the game. I'm undecided whether to keep it that way to satisfy my completionist syndrome or turn the option off to streamline things a bit.

I must admit that I would have liked to finish Chapter 2 a little earlier; Guybrush has only a few locations to explore and it would have been better for me to make this section shorter.

Have you turned on the "all dialogues" option?

3 minutes ago, LowLevel said:

I have turned on the "all dialogues" option and can confirm that it affects the pace of the game. I'm undecided whether to keep it that way to satisfy my completionist syndrome or turn the option off to streamline things a bit.

I must admit that I would have liked to finish Chapter 2 a little earlier; Guybrush has only a few locations to explore and it would have been better for me to make this section shorter.

Have you turned on the "all dialogues" option?

I've got it turned on, and I must admit, it does drag on a bit sometimes. I wonder how the dialogue is when turned off.

I also think of this as a peculiar option from someone who said that (what was it?) 25% of the dialogue should be trimmed to make a good product? (I'm obviously paraphrasing. Someone care to help me out?)

6 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

25% of the dialogue should be trimmed to make a good product?

So, I don't remember reading about a 25% of dialogues, but the "cutting" topic made me think of this Thimbleweed Park post:

https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/cutting.html

It turns out that Ron did mention "25", but he was referring to the number of deleted rooms. Is it possible that you were referring to this?

We cut 25 rooms from the game last week. No one panic, it's not a bad thing, it's actually a good thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LowLevel said:

So, I don't remember reading about a 25% of dialogues, but the "cutting" topic made me think of this Thimbleweed Park post:

https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/cutting.html

It turns out that Ron did mention "25", but he was referring to the number of deleted rooms. Is it possible that you were referring to this?

No, that's not it. I remember it as a quote about SMI. They had to trim the dialogue to fit it on the disc, but Ron said that it's only good to cut dialogue or something like that? Maybe this was to Tim Shafer? I forget.

I do remember Stephen King saying that when you finish a book, you should then cut at least 10% out to improve the pacing.

I have the dialogue turned off. Thought I'd play this way first then play again with it turned on. Although if it drags a bit I might be better doing it the other way around.

I'm not so sure about playing it on the Switch either. It just feels wrong for a point-n-click. Hope they hurry up with a GOG release because I don't wanna be a mighty pirate 😁

I'm sure I remember Ron saying something about cutting dialogue too but I can't remember where.

• Like 1

My goodness, Ron has praised Mixnmojo in a seriously irresponsible way:

has gone from a scrappy fan site to the hard hitting journalists I always new they were

(Source with spoilers)

Do you have any idea how brazenly the Mojogang will brag about this for decades? The next thirty years will all be devoted to master's theses written about RtMI and dissertations written by Mojo about themselves. We are screwed.

I think we could try to somehow exploit the "new/knew" typo to question what Ron meant, but it is a technicality and I am not optimistic about the outcome.

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1

It'll be really difficult to build a proper album out of just in-game recordings. There's so much cross-fading going on - not only as variations in the same track, but also when new cues start playing. Short of an official release, we'll definitely need a music rip from the game files to construct a clean tracklist. I hope someone can come up with the necessary tool (the Thimbleweed Park tools don't work, I checked).

Edited by Laserschwert

Yeah, I guess you're right. But it would already be great to have the more prominent different variations of the themes. I thought that by recording the game audio (with voice, effects etc. on mute) while walking slowly from scene to scene could at least give some sort of suites with the nice transitions – but that'd be no definite solution of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I've got it turned on, and I must admit, it does drag on a bit sometimes. I wonder how the dialogue is when turned off.

I also think of this as a peculiar option from someone who said that (what was it?) 25% of the dialogue should be trimmed to make a good product? (I'm obviously paraphrasing. Someone care to help me out?)

I think the quote was from Schafer.

I imagine that with Return, there was no need to trim dialogue for the sake of space. Something must have motivated them to trim things for the reasons you refer to, after which they were able to include both versions!

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Al.DeHyde said:

I have the dialogue turned off. Thought I'd play this way first then play again with it turned on. Although if it drags a bit I might be better doing it the other way around.

I have discovered this absurd thing: that option can omit even characters from a scene! 😯

From the article Return to Monkey Island Writer’s Cut Differences and Changes:

Spoiler

For example, in the Mêlée Island Low Streets, the trio of ousted pirate leaders appear next to the map shop in the Writer’s Cut but are missing with the option disabled.

Now I am especially happy to play the full-text version; there is no going back for me!

• Thanks 2
  • Wow 2

I have only a minor complaint, so far: why only eight save slots? 😑

In long games I like to save often, both because I like replaying previous chapters and because it comes in handy for getting missed achievements. I would have liked more than eight slots. Like nine, or ten.

28 minutes ago, Remi said:

Yeah, the lack of save slots is a real... "real"... issue. Makes it particularly hard for us Mojo professionals who may need to jump back and forth through the game in the name of journalism.

I did open a thread about it on the steam tech support board, but I think that if you guys also try to ask Terror Toybox about it they might at least see that this is a real issue plaguing other people, and they might at least take that into consideration.