Home

Return to Monkey Island [SPOILER FREE]

ThunderPeel2001

Well, one kid has gone to the shops with Daddy and the other is at Grandma's so I've finally had the chance to finish ReMI 😁 But since this is the spoiler free thread 🤐

5 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

What I said has got nothing to do with how YOU like something...

I always took "rose-tinted glasses" to mean you only think you like something because you're looking at it through rose-tinted glasses (where otherwise you wouldn't like it). So if other people not thinking something is great means that you're wearing rose-titnted glasses then that also means you don't really like it. I may have my definition wrong though 🙂

• Like 1

Don’t let a time frame tell you what you like or not like. If something clicks, it clicks. Rose tinted glasses is a way of telling that someone cannot see the truth because of a certain emotion. It’s a strange expression, because it suggests there is one ‘true’ way of looking at it which you cannot see because of said glasses. On the subject of art or entertainment (take your pick) I think that’s nonsense, because everyone can interpret something in their own way or have a certain element that clicks with them. It’s ALL emotion!

Saying something hasn’t aged well is also a sentiment, a collective one perhaps, but still a sentiment.

I can still enjoy a Marx Brothers movie or a silent film even though they’re a hundred years old. They might’ve been made differently today, but that’s not to say they aren’t beautiful or funny in their own right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2022 at 5:26 PM, Al.DeHyde said:

I always took "rose-tinted glasses" to mean you only think you like something because you're looking at it through rose-tinted glasses (where otherwise you wouldn't like it). So if other people not thinking something is great means that you're wearing rose-titnted glasses then that also means you don't really like it. I may have my definition wrong though 🙂

"that also means you don't really like it"

How do you like something but not "really" like it? I have no idea what that means... you either enjoy something or you don't. The reason you enjoy something doesn't matter... even if it's nostalgia or sentimentality. You enjoy it! And that should be enough for anyone, including you!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001