Home

Which Monkey Island has the smallest number of monkeys?

Vainamoinen

What Monkey Island part has the smallest number of monkeys in it (count live monkey heads only)?   

30 members have voted

1. 1. I have no idea what's going on in this field, Max

• The Secret of Monkey Island
    • LeChuck's Revenge
    • Curse of Monkey Island
    • Escape from Monkey Island
    • Tales from Monkey Island

7 minutes ago, Scummbuddy said:

Who would win?

Giant Monkey Kombat Robot or tiny, hat-wearing monkey piloting Smirks' "The Machine"?

Different fighting styles for sure.

Oh my goodness. That's what hat monkey is for. Don't you get it?

Don't you see?

Hat monkey is there for Monkey Kombat training at Smirk's gym. Hat monkey is a Monkey Kombat expert that makes The Machine more than a match for the giant monkey from Escape.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Wally B. said:

I'd go with smallest numbers of seagulls next

I remember 1 from Secret (fish puzzle).

I remember 1 from Revenge (map puzzle).

I don't remember any in Curse?

I'm having trouble remembering Escape, but I feel like there were some?

I remember at least 3 from Tales (Ch2 Morgan fight, Ch4 outside courthouse, Ch5 dead).

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wally B. said:

I'm pretty sure Curse has the most number of chickens, while Tales has none (I think)...

It’s possible, but Secret is no slouch.

Here we have six chickens:

2mQI36t.jpg

A further three here:

D691Bq2.jpg

And the chicken shop could conceivably contain an infinite number of chickens but I think we’ve established previously that sort of thing isn’t an acceptable data point:

kqjAtvI.jpg

So a total of nine chickens. Sadly I don’t have time to look at the other games just now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2

5 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

OBJECTION

A chicken can run for three to five seconds in "head off" mode, but only if the escape command was previously executed in "head on" mode.

Your honor, I'd like to introduce a new piece of evidence: Mike the Headless Chicken

Who, unlike every chicken shown in Secret, was both headless and alive for a sustained period.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

Your honor, I'd like to introduce a new piece of evidence: Mike the Headless Chicken

Who, unlike every chicken shown in Secret, was both headless and alive for a sustained period.

I will not admit this new evidence to the trial. It is the court's understanding that Mike was the result of a failed beheading attempt that left the chicken with almost its entire brain stem intact. 

Edited by Vainamoinen

Guybrush's rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle is treated as a dead chicken in the demo, and referred to as a dead chicken by Guybrush when speaking on at least one occasion.

Could this chicken be both rubber and dead? Was it ever rubber and alive? Was it first alive and fleshy, but then transformed into dead and rubber?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Thrik said:

They are chickens:

k0c0ZvH.jpg

Bah. Indeed you are right. I just have this particular honking sound effect in my mind, that makes me think of ducks or geese.

I guess I should try and replay the first two before... holy shit-- NEXT MONDAY!!!! 😮😮😮

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Wow 2

Yeah the sounds are weird. I had a listen...

It is a cluck or weird spring sort of noise in most versions, but the Amiga specifically has more of a duck honking sound (not really a quack).

I’m also informed that the audio effect refers to a duck sound but is mapped to a cluck event. It’s possible that akin to how the Special Edition developers pulled out and recorded all dialogue lines, they simply pulled out the sound effect names for the Amiga port and put what they expected they should sound like in.

I also noticed a weird anomaly with the CD versions. On Sega it uses a proper-sounding cluck effect, but on PC the same sound is weirdly slowed down and sounds unnatural. Perhaps to enhance the ghost effect. 🤷‍♂️

• Chef's Kiss 1

2 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

Could this chicken be both rubber and dead? Was it ever rubber and alive? Was it first alive and fleshy, but then transformed into dead and rubber?

Let me ask Gunther von Hagens about this.

* ring ring *

"Hello, Gunther? Vee hav an interesting der kwestshun for you [...] "

Well, good news. Gunther says that plastination is possible with chicken as well. He's just not too certain about the sound effects.

• Like 1