Home

Which islands do you want to revisit in REMI?

Captain Mystery

Which islands do you hope to revisit besides Melee and Monkey in Return to Monkey Island?

Personally, I loved the atmosphere of Scabb Island, particularly Woodtick and the swamp. And I'd love to see an island we saw in daytime as a nighttime location, and vice versa -- like Phatt Island or Puerto Pollo in the evening perhaps. But the interviews with the creators imply, to me at least, that a LOT happens on Melee Island.

Apologies, but I did try to search the forum archive and didn't see this discussed, but if it has then please just point me that way and ignore this!

1 hour ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

I think 4 islands is enough for one game and 2 new islands with 2 returning islands feels like a good ratio. 

What i wouldn’t mind though is a brief montage giving cameos to the various other islands but i can’t imagine they’d create backgrounds and design characters for the sake of a couple of seconds in game. 

Yeah I agree with this, though one more new island wouldn't go astray. Who knows how big Brr Muda and Terror Island are though, I hope they have just as much to offer as Melee. In recent interviews Ron and Dave have suggested that Melee is dedicated to Part 1 as a temporary stop to for Guybrush to start his adventure and remind players of the classic MI feeling before heading off to sights unseen for the rest of the game until we finally reach Monkey Island. I can imagine seeing the Goodsoup crypt in the scrapbook as part of catching new players up on who Murray is for example, but yeah, full recreations for a few seconds is probably off the table. 

1 hour ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

What i wouldn’t mind though is a brief montage giving cameos to the various other islands but i can’t imagine they’d create backgrounds and design characters for the sake of a couple of seconds in game. 

6 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

full recreations for a few seconds is probably off the table. 

I wouldn't 't cross that out. I've seen people shocked by these kind of things before in other media, but creators do this kind of stuff way more often than one could imagine

I have always loved the atmosphere in Scabb Island 😍 and it would be probably the only island that I would like to visit again in the future but... not in Return to Monkey Island.

The developers were clear that characters and locations already visited in past games will be in the game because that was necessary for the story and not to simply satisfy the nostalgia of old fans like me. I'm glad that they decided to approach the writing in this way, I wouldn't like the game to feel too much like a throwback game. To me, discovering new places is more interesting and I would like to get a game that feels like a new Monkey Island.

So I'm more than happy that I'll visit Melee Island and Monkey Island again, but that's more than enough to satisfy my nostalgia. 🙂

• Like 1

I am satisfied with returning to Mêlée, but if I had another wish, I‘d love to return to Dinky Island. We saw so little of it, and there was no classic map view. Still, it had such a strong, mysterious vibe.

(I know Curse LeChuck says it‘s just an atoll of Monkey Island, but I feel like Ron and Dave might retcon some parts of that speech.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As much as I’d love to go back to Scabb, I’m also kind of glad that it’s never been touched again. It’s my favorite one. Woodtick is so perfectly done with its art, cast of characters, and incredible music, Scabb’s locations are all lonely and a touch creepy, the map music is unique in its lonely backwater mood, and though the island seems small, it’s revealed to be full of little secret spots the more you play. I like to imagine that place is continuing on exactly how it is, maybe a little shabbier and a little more sunk into the swamp but otherwise unchanged by time. Scabb Island Romantic signing off. 

• Like 8
  • Chef's Kiss 2