Home

What time on Monday?

ThunderPeel2001

14 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

It's not a huge deal but Devolver maybe underestimated how many people this would make grumpy. What with the series having a bigger following in europe and of course the UK having a day off on release day.

Releases always make someone grumpy. If they’d released it at a convenient European time Americans would have been mad instead (including the developers, who in my experience always prefer to release games at times convenient to them in case some surprise goes wrong).

They probably should have given the time earlier but beyond that I don’t think there’s a way to please more people and also ensure the day is as positive as possible for the developers (though as I pointed out up thread, if anyone looked at the public Nintendo documentation for the region where the developer, publisher, and license holder are located it says downloadable games release at 9am pacific.)

• Like 3

Yes, the release time makes perfect sense. I hate rolling things out outside of office hours. It's not just a case of having to work outside of normal hours, but also if anything goes wrong with a service/partner you're using, you can't get anyone on the phone to help out. 9am PDT makes perfect sense... sadly.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

5 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

It's not a huge deal but Devolver maybe underestimated how many people this would make grumpy. What with the series having a bigger following in europe and of course the UK having a day off on release day.

I don't think Europeans are Devolver's target group here.

zR88e0n.png

2 hours ago, Thrik said:

Yeah I think they should have signalled this sooner to avoid exactly what has happened, which is people taking time off work (as fate would have it not an issue for those in the UK now).

At least they gave a time. The launch of Tales left me traumatised… (sorry Jake)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

To clarify, I wasn't really saying they could make everyone happy - I just meant that I bet Devolver aren't used to releasing a game that is made in the USA but the fanbase skews so heavily european, since mostly they release games from newish franchises without an established base, and it's not definite but possible they might have made a few different decisions.

If they had more experience in this area, for example, might they have considered that by not putting the game up on GOG they are missing a trick since it seems to be pretty big in Germany, for instance. (Heck, the reasons that some people seem to utterly despise Valve but love CD Projekt of all people still baffles me and no conversation I've had about it has ever completely cleared it up in my mind, but hey, this seems to be A Thing).

Or they might have considered releasing it on a midweek date so that they could release it at 3pm Pacific and around midnight in Europe.

As I said, it's not a big deal and I don't feel strongly about it, it's just an idle musing, which is all I can really do until I can play it.

• Like 2