Home

Details of Return to Monkey Island

Jake

On 9/22/2022 at 8:20 PM, GuhGunk said:

Hide contents

Interesting. My interpretation of the museum curator was decidedly less favorable. To me, he came off as a know-it-all who was so confident in his knowledge that he opened a museum to the public to display it, but he obviously had lots of facts wrong and didn't want to consider new information even when it was from a primary source. Honestly, it came off like an allegory of our current climate of content creators with lots of instances of self-proclaimed experts peddling dubious information.

Plus if you go talk to Otis (I did this in Act 4), you can ask him to go clear things up with the museum curator and tell him the truth, to which he replies "As soon as I'm out of here." In my next playthrough I'll try having this conversation with him in Act 1 before freeing him and see if it changes stuff.

In the cutscene that features LeChuck and Madison fighting each other in ship combat, there's a ghost chicken floating on a piece of wood, similar to the opening of the The Curse of Monkey Island. The ship combat itself was something pretty exclusive to that game as well, so a pretty tidy reference. 

8 hours ago, Remi said:

When you finally can use the horse armor (final scene spoiler)...

Hide contents

image.png

”Next week.” Interesting. So, playtime happens on a regular schedule? Every weekend?

8 hours ago, Remi said:

Hide contents

image.png

”Next week.” Interesting. So, playtime happens on a regular schedule? Every weekend?

Edited by Marius
Oops, accidentally double posted, and currently cant fix that on my phone, sorry.
  • Chef's Kiss 2

2 minutes ago, Marius said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

Hmmm, to me the case is perfectly clear: New Monkey Island on Monday! 🥳🥳🥳

• Chef's Kiss 1

In the ending, you can take a photo as a pirate, which was also possible in real life at PAX and Gamescom. 🙂

More generally, the recreation of Melee shown at events was a giant real-life reference to the ending. 😁

image.png

Edited by LowLevel
  • Like 4
  • Wow 3

The game really has some nice "Look at" moments to click more than once or twice. For example on Monkey Island when standing at the top of the cliff and enjoying the view, you can let Guybrush say many variations of "amazing", before he just suddenly "bored". A bit of a same moment when arriving at the dig up of "The Seckrit". :) 

• Like 1

If you haven't already done it, I suggest:

• Asking Toothrot for quotes of "At The End Of The Plank". A beautiful, beautiful novel.
  • Reading Toothrot's philosophical manifest, entirely. Among other things, he presents us with the new version of an old question:

image.png

Edited by LowLevel
  • Like 2
  • Chef's Kiss 2

This is a detail that (I think) can only be seen for a few moments. Guybrush is sitting on the bench and a small boat is floating in the pond in front of him.

image.png

That boat is a touching detail. To me it is another hint that he is a bit lost in his memories of past adventures or fantasies.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

On 9/21/2022 at 12:51 PM, KestrelPi said:

Did anyone yet mention that the checklist on LeChuck's motivational pamphlet gets filled out as you do stuff in the game?

Is there a way to completely fill the inspirational pamphlet?

The only part I’m missing is "commit murder".

Either it means Guybrush is similar to LeChuck but would never kill someone to get what he wants, or there is something secret we didn’t find. I would love to see a secret ending where Guybrush becomes LeChuck, or even worse than him.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but I noticed how well Guybrush's arc as an improving storyteller during ReMI ties into how he acts in MI2, what with how he keeps annoying everybody with his "killing LeChuck" story. He was a crap storyteller!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2

Not sure if anyone else noticed/posted this, but when you find Herman, you can use the pieces of paper on him and he'll reveal that they're from him. They are pages from his copy "At the End of the Plank" and he was using them to help mark his way throughout the cave.

• Wow 5

On 9/24/2022 at 7:06 AM, Remi said:

Hide contents

image.png

I completely missed this! Just went back and played the ending again. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I was wondering if this was Ron standing firmly by his unconventional ending?

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 4.38.04 PM.png

Edited by madmardi

Perhaps not as noteworthy, but I like the detail in LeChuck's diary that implies he used voodoo magic to conjure up a perpetual storm over his ship to keep seagulls away from stealing his kippers. Explains why it's almost always storming on his ship. 

It also made me think of his fortress in MI2, which was described as hidden by an endless storm, so perhaps that was also due to voodoo magic to keep it hidden. 

Lastly, and this is more of my head canon, it sorta gives an implication to the "mysterious storm" that sank LeChuck's ship when he was originally going after the Secret before the first game. If it was voodoo magic, my head canon is that it was the Voodoo Lady, as part of her agenda, who conjured up the storm, then sent out the sharks to rescue LeChuck (she displayed in Tales she can influence creatures) and used them years later to monitor Guybrush on his quest to Blood Island. 

Edited by demone
  • Like 3