Home

Details of Return to Monkey Island

Jake

Someone was commenting on the "Nothing is free" sign that appears in Part 3, and Guybrush comments on the monocles. I suggested that maybe it's because you didn't pay Wally... but no, that's not affecting it. I paid Wally early and often, and the "Nothing is free" sign still appears in Part 3 with Guybrush commenting on the monocles.

20 minutes ago, Knight Owl said:

I'm sure someone's mentioned this already, but the line LeChuck has at the end where he says all the names of the monkey island games 👌

Didn't someone make that exact joke in one of the other threads??

Don't remember that part, any specific thing to do to trigger it or was it just late 😄

4 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Strange. I swear he didn't say anything to me and I DID talk to him... maybe there's a specific line that triggers his line that I missed? (Or I'm just misremembering)

I have a save file just before that point, so I tried some different routes through the dialogue tree with Wally out. And you're right, you can talk to Wally and not get the line one he's freed. Good catch + my bad.

I'm think asking Wally about why his office was ransacked, and then thanking him for the mop map, makes Wally connect the dots and you get the dialogue after you free him. Which is the order you do things in if you just go through the dialogue tree top to bottom.

image.png

2.png

So if Wally says these lines, he'll then ask you to get out of his life after he's freed. If he doesn't say them, he'll run off silently. I'm pretty sure, anyway. From like five minutes testing a few different dialogue tree paths

While i'm making screenshots, here's the screenshots of what Wally says while shackled up and if you actually paid for the sea map (in a spoiler to save space)

Spoiler

1.png

2.png

3.png

Edited by Garystu
moar screenies
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Gins said:

Don't remember that part, any specific thing to do to trigger it or was it just late 😄

I believe it was in a mandatory cutscene! When LeChuck is fighting Lila. He says something like "We're looking for the SECRET, I'll have my REVENGE, something about a CURSE, you can't ESCAPE, or live to tell the TALES"

• Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 2

Yes that's the one i was saying, thanks! Don't know what is it there for.

Also, what about missed cutscenes?  There are a lot of cutscenes in chapter 4, ("Meanwhile..") In my second playtrough i got one i didn't in my first, the scurvy pirates talking with Elaine while she searchs for the pamphlet. I didn't get the one with the queen of Brrmuda though.

I wonder if i missed others and if there is a way to get all of them in one playthorugh.

If you miss a Part IV cutscene, does Elaine always tell you about it instead? For example, I've seen people mention a cutscene where

Spoiler

Elaine rescues Herman,

but in my playthrough she told me about that while walking.

Or can things happen without you seeing it OR hearing about it?

34 minutes ago, Huz said:

If you miss a Part IV cutscene, does Elaine always tell you about it instead? For example, I've seen people mention a cutscene where

Hide contents

Elaine rescues Herman,

but in my playthrough she told me about that while walking.

I believe she mentions everything, even without a cutscene.

34 minutes ago, Huz said:

Or can things happen without you seeing it OR hearing about it?

If you ruin someone's life without Elaine to hear it, what is the color of that crime? 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BaronGrackle said:

I TRIED to give Herman that paper to tell him about the exit, but no go. Is there any way to save Grandpa?

I tried giving him everything, too. Even before fighting for the key (which I think should have been hidden under a blanket, because on my first playthrough I missed everything else in that room -- I digress). No luck though. He's stuck down there (until Elaine rescues him).

It's interesting how Ron Gilbert's Monkey Island games always start extremely simple and clear in terms of plot (MI1: Guybrush wants to become a pirate, MI2: Guybrush wants to find the treasure of Big Whoop, ReMI: Guybrush wants to find the secret of Monkey Island), while the plot of CMI, EMI and TMI always only develops at the beginning (Guybrush accidentally curses Elaine, Elaine is declared dead and has to run for governor again and Guybrush accidentally turns LeChuck back into a human and pollutes the caribbean with the Pox of LeChuck).

Normally I‘d find the „Ron beginnings“ too simple/lazy, but somehow he always makes it work so it doesn’t seem that way. 🤔

Edited by BillyCheers
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, BillyCheers said:

It's interesting how Ron Gilbert's Monkey Island games always start extremely simple and clear in terms of plot (MI1: Guybrush wants to become a pirate, MI2: Guybrush wants to find the treasure of Big Whoop, ReMI: Guybrush wants to find the secret of Monkey Island), while the plot of CMI, EMI and TMI always only develops at the beginning (Guybrush accidentally curses Elaine, Elaine is declared dead and has to run for governor again and Guybrush accidentally turns LeChuck back into a human and pollutes the caribbean with the Pox of LeChuck).

Normally I‘d find the „Ron beginnings“ too simple/lazy, but somehow he always makes it work so it doesn’t seem that way. 🤔

To be fair, in Secret everything past Part 1.5 is the quest to save Elaine and defeat LeChuck!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 6:09 AM, Intransient said:

I’ve been obsessing over Guybrush coming back to the alleyway at the end of the game and saying “Not yet!”

It’s such a delicious detail to unpack and ponder. Not so much an exclamation of surprise as inevitability. Is a spell wearing off? A ride stopping? The ending coming too soon?

Yes, same here, yes this is the most interesting/almost disturbing line in the whole game. I keep thinking about it too.

• Like 4

On 9/23/2022 at 9:33 AM, WorldMaker said:

I caught at least one other Papapishu (other than the one on Terror Island), I think it was while playing with various bits of fire on LeShip. It does amuse me that they avoided many of the obvious callbacks and jokes, but that one made it in and remained consistent.

Do you remember where exactly? I tried all the torches and candles and I couldn't find it.

@WorldMaker I just remembered that you can actually check the logs to see all dialogue spoken. Near the save games there is a file called Playlog.txt. Could you open it and search for Pappapishu? Thanks!

Edited by Blondebeard
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 5:09 AM, Intransient said:

I’ve been obsessing over Guybrush coming back to the alleyway at the end of the game and saying “Not yet!”

It’s such a delicious detail to unpack and ponder. Not so much an exclamation of surprise as inevitability. Is a spell wearing off? A ride stopping? The ending coming too soon?

I think that and Elaine's proposal of a new adventure are some of the most meaningful lines in the entire game

• Like 1

One thing that I really liked (and didn't expect), was the whole atmosphere on Monkey Island.

While the island had something very mysterious and almost dangerous mood in MI1, in ReMI it seems incredibly relaxing and akso melancholic (especially because of the great music). That way it felt much less like a “rehash” than Mêlée. 

49 minutes ago, BillyCheers said:

One thing that I really liked (and didn't expect), was the whole atmosphere on Monkey Island.

While the island had something very mysterious and almost dangerous mood in MI1, in ReMI it seems incredibly relaxing and akso melancholic (especially because of the great music). That way it felt much less like a “rehash” than Mêlée. 

I'm in Part 4, but you can spoil me: does the northern section of Monkey Island go unexplored this game?

I've read things indicating I'll come back just before the end, but I think it will be mainly the areas we already saw in Part 3..