Home

Details of Return to Monkey Island

Jake

19 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

I would love to hear Dom narrating the hint books. They are written first person, right?

You just saying that gave me this fun image: Us being stuck on a puzzle is basically Bench-Guybrush having a hard time remembering.

“And then I put the spicy fish in the bucket!“

“But how did you survive eating spicy fish yourself?“

“I didn‘t.“

“So what then?“

“Well, er, then I was going from island to island, looking for a glass of milk. So, uh… I looked everywhere… hmm… Then I went back to Brrr Muda, to see if I can do something with the fish bucket. Nothing… So…“

And looking in the hint book is basically Bench-Guybrush‘s brain remembering again. :)

Edited by Marius
  • Haha 1
  • Chef's Kiss 3

2 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

Is it possible to complete the game with NOTHING checked off? I still haven't looked up what all gets a check.

I've never seen anything checked off? Is there a screenshot? I've checked so many times and it's always empty to me...?

Edit: Nevermind... just checked and everything but "Murder" and "Overstayed your welcome" is checked. Maybe there was a bug before!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

3 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

"I'm Guybrush Threepwood, and I want to be an adventure game developer."

Is Ron even real? His name suspiciously appears on a sign in the end of the game. Guybrush could have made him up!

• Wow 1

Four details I really appreciated:

Spoiler

1. The name Monkey Island has no TM symbol throughout the game, except when Guybrush realizes he is in a pirate adventure park.

ReMI01.jpeg

ReMI02.jpeg

2. The wheel riddle al the end looks different depending on the character who is in front of it: not only the symbols on the wheel change, but also the hints that help in solving the puzzle (and the place where the hints are).

ReMI03.jpeg

ReMI04.jpeg

3. The system of multiple endings. In particular, I was struck by the way Ron & Dave linked the two endings that can be obtained when you decide to take the key to the Secret without opening the chest. If you turn off all the lights and leave with Elaine, you see Chuckie and Dee chasing each other and competing for the key to the Secret; but if you return to the alley, unlock the door and get back to the world you know beneath the Giant Monkey Head, instead of Chuckie and Dee, you see LeChuck and Lila fighting for the Secret: I think it's another finesse that creates meaningful connections between the Monkey Island world of the mighty pirate Guybrush and the amusement park world of the unreliable narrator Guybrush (two worlds that both exist in some way: the player, by his choices, can decide on which of the two to focus).

ReMI05.jpeg

ReMI06.jpeg

4. At the time in which she is Boybrush’s mother, Elaine still has a fishing lure on her clothing, so she is a membrer of the Chums (and therefore an unreliable narrator) also in that world: this makes the connections between the various narrative planes even more complicated and intriguing.

ReMI07.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
  • Chef's Kiss 7

1 minute ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Don't you see Elaine and Guybrush on a ship together?

If I'm not wrong, you see Elaine and Guybrush together if you DON'T even pick up the key to the Secret and get back under the Monkey Head.

If you pick up the key but don't open the chest and then get back under the Monkey Head, you see see LeChuck and Lila fighting.

As a third option, if you pick up the key, open the chest and then get back under the Monkey Head, you see the Vodoo Lady returning to her store in a mess and saying that she won't take a long lunch break anynmore.

Just now, Giorgio said:

As a third option, if you pick up the key, open the chest and then get back under the Monkey Head, you see the Vodoo Lady returning to her store in a mess and saying that she won't take a long lunch break anynmore.

Yep, although Strange that her cauldron is back in that scene.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Yep, although Strange that her cauldron is back in that scene.

You'right! Maybe she bought it back for half of half of half the price she sold it for.

In the cauldron there's also the hammer that Guybrush used to try to open the chest.

Edited by Giorgio
  • Like 1

Early in Part 1, after you first get rejected to join LeChuck's crew, we see a secret meeting dispersing that included Voodoo Corina, the museum curator, and Wally. The curator hopes Wally isn't ratting them out to Madison.

Did we ever find out what this was? Not the Chums.

Edited by BaronGrackle

I forgot if this was mentioned before, but on the Melee Island map, if you walk to where some important locations were in Monkey Island 1, like the circus and Meathook's island, Guybrush will give a short remark about it. That felt like a nice touch and little easter eggs, because if you don't know there used to be something there, you wouldn't even think about clicking there. Lovely little detail.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

40 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

Early in Part 1, after you first get rejected to join LeChuck's crew, we see a secret meeting dispersing that included Voodoo Corina, the museum curator, and Wally. The curator hopes Wally isn't ratting them out to Madison.

Did we ever find out what this was? Not the Chums.

I think it was just a town meeting. It was just an excuse for certain locations to not be accessible until you’ve progressed to a certaIn point. If you leave the scumm bar and head straight to wally’s for example there’s a sign at the door saying “at town meeting. Be back soon. “ They don’t open up until after you’ve visited the docks. 

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone noticed this but...

Spoiler

You can take a photo at the end if you position Guybrush correctly behind the cutout board.

20221010065354_1.jpg

0qRftB520221010065419_1.jpg

I wonder if there's a secret attached to this item...

Edited by guimero64
someone already mentionned the dialogue on Melee Island Map.
  • Wow 2

I have a question related to the metanarrative. Guybrush is creating a path of destruction through this game, highlighted by cutscenes of Elaine coming after him and a long conversation between him and Elaine at the start of Part 5.

(By the way, check in with Elaine after each cutscene. After the mop tree one, I went to Scurvy Island, and she asked me if I had a mop.)

If we look through this with the lens of amusement park activities... are we to think that Guybrush is breaking the rules to certain games? Destroying park property? Making things harder for other players?

Or, is Elaine's concern just part of her being "in character"? Similar to when you ask about her fight with Flair at the end, even though the amusement park is revealed and Flair would have presumably been an animatronic?

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 1