Home

Details of Return to Monkey Island

Jake

7 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

I have a question related to the metanarrative. Guybrush is creating a path of destruction through this game, highlighted by cutscenes of Elaine coming after him and a long conversation between him and Elaine at the start of Part 5.

(By the way, check in with Elaine after each cutscene. After the mop tree one, I went to Scurvy Island, and she asked me if I had a mop.)

If we look through this with the lens of amusement park activities... are we to think that Guybrush is breaking the rules to certain games? Destroying park property? Making things harder for other players?

Or, is Elaine's concern just part of her being "in character"? Similar to when you ask about her fight with Flair at the end, even though the amusement park is revealed and Flair would have presumably been an animatronic?

Yes, I wondered this. It does explain why she doesn't really care about his trail of destruction... but then you wonder who she's talking to if they're all animatronic. And why she decides to spend her time in the park having these conversations.

21 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Yes, I wondered this. It does explain why she doesn't really care about his trail of destruction... but then you wonder who she's talking to if they're all animatronic. And why she decides to spend her time in the park having these conversations.

Maybe Elaine is actually the delusional one. While Guybrush is trying to just have fun in a place designed to have fun at, Elaine ist fighting windmills and wants to cure animatronics from scurvy 😂

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2022 at 1:54 AM, Intransient said:

What's with this weird map in Wally's shop? The one that's all criss-crossing wires with blue dots. The most I can make of it is that it looks like an "X marks the spot". Guybrush's comment on it is kind of cryptic.

Screen_Shot_2022-10-10_at_4_10_59_PM_png.jpg

Could this be related to the star map on Cogg island?

• Like 1

When replaying for the speed run achievement (which you CAN do on the Switch, despite being unable to skip opening credits or any cutscenes, at least on Casual Mode), I noticed there was no cutscene of Elaine saving Herman, and I THINK she didn't scold me about the Mop Tree.

Do we know if the Elaine cutscenes and if her Part 5 dialogue are randomized, or do they depend on the order you did objectives, or...?

Did anyone make a total list? I'm wondering if I missed any.

Edited by BaronGrackle

1 hour ago, BaronGrackle said:

When replaying for the speed run achievement (which you CAN do on the Switch, despite being unable to skip opening credits or any cutscenes, at least on Casual Mode), I noticed there was no cutscene of Elaine saving Herman, and I THINK she didn't scold me about the Mop Tree.

Do we know if the Elaine cutscenes and if her Part 5 dialogue are randomized, or do they depend on the order you did objectives, or...?

Did anyone make a total list? I'm wondering if I missed any.

I believe they confirmed they're random in the Steam forums.

Also the skip button is weird on the PC version, too. It seems you can't press any other button before you press it, otherwise you can't skip anything. Or maybe if you press it too quickly the game gets grumpy. (I had to sit through the credits on the PC version, too.)

There seems to be rhythm to it... wait a few seconds without pressing anything and then press ESC (or Switch equivalent) and it works. Anything else and you get the red symbol :(

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 2

So... I need you to imagine a fully decked out Sea Monkey II, with all the skulls.

Imagine it crewed by swans.

The swams are the guild of weavers. Bobbin, Cygna, Atropos, Lachesis, and Clothos. They sail the ship and shape the world around them by conking the skulls for music notes.

These swans on their tiny skull-music boat can do whatever they want. Untwist hurricanes, rend enemy warships, open chests to Secrets... anything.

Swan weavers on the Sea Monkey II.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Chef's Kiss 3

If you use one of the keys while the magic spell is still around the safe, before you collect all five keys, a unique cutscene will play where LeChuck and Madison and crew realize someone is messing with the safe. Madison and Flair both go to check it out. As far as I can tell, this doesn't have any affect on any successive cutscenes.

• Like 2

Random thoughts about swords and shovels.

Guybrush wields a sword in every game except MI2.

* MI1 has an insult swordfighting section.

* MI3 has a sea insult swordfighting section.

* MI4 has an unwinnable optional insult swordfighting sequence.
* MI5 Ch2 has a swordfighting sequence unrelated to insults and then Ch5 has a brief insult/uplift sequence.

* MI6 Prelude has a scurvydogfight game with Boybrush and Chucky, then Parts 1 and 4 have you swordfight Carla during friendly conversation, and Part 2 has the first on-screen swordfight between Guybrush and LeChuck (in which LeChuck "cheats").

Guybrush wields a shovel in every game except MI4 and MI6.

* MI1 has him dig for the Lost Treasure of Mêlée Island.

* MI2 Part 1 has him graverob, then Part 4 has him dig for Big Whoop.

* MI3 has him dig for Gold-Elaine on a theater stage. (You can think about that one for a while.)

* MI5 Part 1 has him plant a false treasure, Part 2 has him dig up an artifact, and Part 5 has him dig in the afterlife.

* MI6 has him ALMOST set hands on that shovel, but it was a trap.

In terms of inventory:

* MI1 is the only game where Guybrush has to acquire his sword, and the only where it shows as an inventory item. (MI3, MI4, and MI5 do have sword inventory items, but these are unrelated to any swordfighting Guybrush does.)

* MI1 and MI2 are the only games where Guybrush has to acquire a shovel, and the only where it shows as an inventory item.

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 5

Love that sort of breakdown. It did puzzle me once or twice that RtMI had Guybrush pull a non-inventory sword from nowhere in a couple of scripted sequences (surely there are places where he could have used that instead of the knife?) but it is interesting to remember that it's been handled that way several times now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LuigiHann said:

Love that sort of breakdown. It did puzzle me once or twice that RtMI had Guybrush pull a non-inventory sword from nowhere in a couple of scripted sequences (surely there are places where he could have used that instead of the knife?) but it is interesting to remember that it's been handled that way several times now. 

I kind of wonder if the trap on Monkey Island with the "convenient" shovel was a  purposed reference. :)

On 10/3/2022 at 3:03 AM, Knight Owl said:

anyone have an idea about what this is? When you click on it in the scrapbook Guybrush comments on how it fell out.  (sorry again if this has already been talked about)

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.57.52 PM.png

I recall someone else mentioned that this could be a stone piece of eight and a real piece of eight (since he only had one remaining at the end), both of which can be found in the park at the beginning. If so, it's definitely a nice way to link the two stories together.

7 hours ago, IllidanS4 said:

I recall someone else mentioned that this could be a stone piece of eight and a real piece of eight (since he only had one remaining at the end), both of which can be found in the park at the beginning. If so, it's definitely a nice way to link the two stories together.

It could also be an extra layer meant to cast doubt on what is truly real and that whatever the REAL secret is, that is what fell out of the scrapbook. This is assuming that you interpret the ending of the game as Guybrush embellishing the truth to his son. 

So there's no way to have LeChuck's pamphlet completely unchecked, right? It stays blank through Part 3, but starting with Part 4 a lot of them are mandatory?

I think filling out the application at the 49th Parallel is always "bear false witness", getting Locke Smith's key is always "commit fraud" (maybe not on casual mode), Herman's key is always "betray trust", Bella Fisher's key is always "destroy the beautiful", the Brrr Muda key is always "destroy the beloved", and then for Part 5 stabbing the statues is always "inflict bodily harm".

I thought every Elaine conversation at the start of Part 5 triggered "throw tantrums", but someone on reddit said you can avoid that with the right answers. (I'm not sure what counts as a tantrum; I had previously thought it was triggered when Guybrush yelled at the locked chest in that montage at the end of Part 4.)

Does anyone have other insights? Or are we pretty sure these checks are mandatory?

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 3

Not sure if anyone already posted this, but the puzzle on Terror Island where you need to find the right path inside the cavern was initially going to use a lizard. My assumption is that the lizard would guide you to the right entrance. The leftover assets also include the lizard animation moving in different directions and freezing with fear.

TPLizard-hd.png

Edited by Blondebeard
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...