Home

Control scheme for Switch **chefs kiss**

Kingharrison

When the game was first announced for Steam and… small gasp… Nintendo Switch I couldn’t figure out why. Mr. Gilbert had said the amount of orders for Thimbleweed Park in Switch was quite high so that is why they did these two systems first. 

I literally left for vacation the day RtMI came out so the Switch was my only option. After playing through the whole thing on hard on it I can say I absolutely love the control scheme. It was intuitive and easy to use to solve puzzles. 

Very much would try more point n click adventures on this little device again. 

• Chef's Kiss 2

I'm playing on PC with a Switch Pro controller, and the controls ARE very nice! I have the option to do so, but will not be changing to a mouse.

I almost think this game could have been better designed for controller than mouse? You still only get two verbs at a time for each object, even though a controller has more face buttons? Not that its a bad thing, as it would have advantaged controller players to do otherwise, but.

I'd be a little cautious about trying other point and clicks, though. I played Hypnospace Outlaw on the Switch and that was a poor choice lol (it had controlling-the-cursor-with-a-joystick controls).

I think controllers work really great, in fact it's how I'm doing my second playthrough at the moment, mainly. Partly that's because it's so much easier to spot trivia cards with it, but I think it's just smoother to get around by holding the trigger than by double clicking everywhere. I also think the interface is a little bit easier to use with the controller.

The only complaint I have is that in busy areas like Wally's shop with a lot to look at, I sometimes had difficulty getting the thing I wanted to highlight. To the point that at one stage I gave up and just used the mouse for a second.

1 hour ago, KestrelPi said:

I think controllers work really great, in fact it's how I'm doing my second playthrough at the moment, mainly. Partly that's because it's so much easier to spot trivia cards with it, but I think it's just smoother to get around by holding the trigger than by double clicking everywhere. I also think the interface is a little bit easier to use with the controller.

The only complaint I have is that in busy areas like Wally's shop with a lot to look at, I sometimes had difficulty getting the thing I wanted to highlight. To the point that at one stage I gave up and just used the mouse for a second.

Use the right stick. 

9 minutes ago, Kingharrison said:

Use the right stick. 

Yes... I know how to use the controls. I don't think I would have got very far without understanding you could use the right stick to select items.

I just don't think they're very responsive in rooms where there's a lot to pick from, as I explained. For example, in Wally's room there are LOTS of different objects to select in the room, on the walls, but they're not all revealed at once and so you have to move around in order to get the right circles even to appear, to pick them, and it gets fiddly in crowded rooms like that.

Edited by KestrelPi

The controls were great. Probably the best implementation of gamepad controls I've seen in a point & click adventure.

If I had one thing to nitpick, I never fully got the hang of inventory - I'm not sure how it could've been done better/differently, but every time I had to dismiss the inventory screen after grabbing an item, or cancel grab to grab a different item, I had to pause for a few sec and think about which button to press (or just mash B until everything is clear and start over).

Also whenever I finished interacting with a hotspot, all the hotspot would disappear until I moved Guybrush, so I'd often have to keep wiggling the left analog stick if I'm near multiple hotspots, but I think that's just a bug.

8 minutes ago, Jayel said:

Also whenever I finished interacting with a hotspot, all the hotspot would disappear until I moved Guybrush, so I'd often have to keep wiggling the left analog stick if I'm near multiple hotspots, but I think that's just a bug.

I chalked this down to a bug, too.

I played it on both Switch and Mac and I have to say… I’m torn to say that playing it with a controller is even better. Walking Guybrush through the areas is so smooth and for me works faster than by double clicking (again and again). It’s by far not bad or anything with mouse, but…

Also using the inventory is sometimes smoother. You open it and you’re immediately at an item, when on Mac you still have to move your mouse there after hitting “I”. Also you get faster to the hotspots than by mouse.

On the other side, using the mouse feels much more natural or classic, exploring the locations directly as you like.

Both has its ups and downs but in the end, both are really really great. Never would have thought!

After playing the cursor option for so many other adventure games on console (including Secret and Revenge, plus Maniac Mansion), I really REALLY wish the Switch version of the game gave me a cursor option.

Trying to stand at just the right spot and/or cycle through items on screen is a chore. So many times I see an item I want to interact with, but I have to position things for a few extra seconds to make it happen.

Maybe a future update could give us a mouse cursor via joystick?

On 9/23/2022 at 9:15 AM, Jayel said:

Yes, this is a thing too. I position things, but if I wait too long the icons disappear until I move again.

Agreed all. I played a bunch of this on the Steam Deck, and while I was expecting an awkward experience using the touch pads for mouse cursor control, it instead defaulted to the gamepad controls and it was so smooth I didn't attempt to switch away from it, and even started playing using a controller when I swapped back to my desktop. Running around as Guybrush felt great, and the two hotspot selection methods worked well enough. I do agree that I kind of wish that the right-stick method would let you reach further-away hotspots more easily, like you could with a mouse, rather than sticking to the cluster closest to where Guybrush is standing. Still, easy enough to just move him around to get closer.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 6:17 AM, Kingharrison said:

When the game was first announced for Steam and… small gasp… Nintendo Switch I couldn’t figure out why. Mr. Gilbert had said the amount of orders for Thimbleweed Park in Switch was quite high so that is why they did these two systems first. 

I literally left for vacation the day RtMI came out so the Switch was my only option. After playing through the whole thing on hard on it I can say I absolutely love the control scheme. It was intuitive and easy to use to solve puzzles. 

Very much would try more point n click adventures on this little device again. 

I played it on my Steam Deck, so I had a very similar experience!

• Like 1