Home

Achievements

demone

Just a thread to talk about all the game achievements, how to solve them, and what different outcomes they might create. 

Feel free to talk about any. I'll edit this post to include the list as of right now shortly. 

• Part One - Started Part One.
  • Fan Service - Convinced Cobb To Tell You About LOOM.
  • Hey Wait! - Freed Otis.
  • Pegleg - Fulfilled Your Restroom Obligations.
  • Lucky Duck - Shared Your Luck.
  • Part Two - Started Part Two.
  • Cartography Nerd - Thoroughly Examined All Of Wally’s Stock.
  • Super Swabbie - Swabbed The Hold Twenty Times.
  • Mop Heist - Attempted To Steal The Cook’s Mop.
  • Part Three - Started Part Three.
  • Part Four - Started Part Four.
  • Trivia Go Getter - Answered Ten Trivia Questions Correctly.
  • Dead Dead Dead - Hidden. No Description.
  • Card Collector - Collected More Than Twenty Trivia Cards.
  • Not Bitter - Got To The Heart Of The Problem.
  • Trophy Fisher - Became A Prize Chum.
  • Dental Samaritan - Gave Stan His Toothbrush.
  • Part Five - Started Part Five.
  • Hot Headed - Hidden. No Description.
  • Promise Keeper - Did Gullet A Favor.
  • Patient Citizen - Waited Patiently To See Carla.
  • Bragging - Told Everyone On Mêlée Island That You Are Looking For The Secret.
  • Relief Pitcher - Hidden. No Description.
  • Neat Freak - Listed Every Mess On The First Swab’s Report.
  • Trivia Master - Answered Twenty-Five Trivia Questions Correctly.
  • On The Lam - Hidden. No Description.
  • Ahoy There - Hidden. No Description.
  • Tight Ship - Decked Out The Sea Monkey II With Spooky Skulls.
  • Mop Top - Hidden. No Description.
  • Speed Runner - Reached The End In 2 Hours Or Less.
  • Cogg Island - Hidden. No Description.
  • Trivia Grand Master - Answered Fifty Trivia Questions Correctly.
  • Trivia Lord - Answered Seventy-Five Trivia Questions Correctly.
  • Trivia Overlord - Answered One Hundred Trivia Questions Correctly.
  • I Don’t Believe - Hidden. No Description.
  • Free Wally - Rescued Wally From Monkey Island.
  • Bookworm - Found All The Copies of ‘At The End Of The Plank’.
  • Deep Sea Diver - Hidden. No Description.
  • Flag Facsimile - Performed The Ole Switcheroo With The Replica Flag.
Edited by demone

"Dead Dead Dead" takes an awful lot of patience. Good thing we have phones these days to look at while we wait.

Spoiler

You have to actually die.

Solution:

Spoiler

Drown yourself for 8 minutes, and get yelled at by your son for making up a silly story that you drowned.

Then drown yourself again for another 6 minutes, and your son gets really irritated.

Then drown yourself again for another 3 minutes, and then you and your son never existed in the park at all.

Edited by Colorfinger
  • Chef's Kiss 1

And done! Wally has been freed! Feels so good to actually save him this time. I had wanted to do that all the way back to my first MI game, Curse. Finally, a weight has been lifted lol.

But yeah, you just need to use the monocles to examine the shackles on LeChuck's ship before the end of Part III and then have Lock Smith create the key before the end of part IV. Then simply use the key on the shackles. 

Also, his reaction to Guybrush upon being free will be slightly different depending on if/how you interact with him just before freeing him. If he realizes that Guybrush inadvertently caused LeChuck's anger towards him, he'll state he wants Guybrush to stay out of his life before leaving. If not, then he simply walks away.

Edited by demone

14 hours ago, Colorfinger said:

"Dead Dead Dead" takes an awful lot of patience. Good thing we have phones these days to look at while we wait.

Hide contents

You have to actually die.

Solution:

Hide contents

Drown yourself for 8 minutes, and get yelled at by your son for making up a silly story that you drowned.

Then drown yourself again for another 6 minutes, and your son gets really irritated.

Then drown yourself again for another 3 minutes, and then you and your son never existed in the park at all.

Actually, when walking to Monkey Island on the ocean floor, you can just change screens, which takes time away from the counter. Do this until you're dead.

By the way, is anybody able to share a set of savegames to "jump" to different parts of the game? I played it on Switch, so it would be convenient to have some savegames for the Steam version to try out things.

Edited by Laserschwert

Speed Runner is an interesting one for me - as I'm planning on speedrunning the game properly. Playing it on Writer's Cut, Hard Mode with some pretty good routing, it took about 1hr 35m, so there's not that much headroom in it for people speedrunning it more casually.

Also, the achievement was awarded on the fade to credits after talking to Boybrush at the end. It might be quicker to do the alternate ending of running out through the caves.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 5:28 PM, Colorfinger said:

I really don't understand this achievement. If Guybrush tries to down himself during Monkey 2, he simply swims back to the top for air. It feels like Ron and Dave forgot this.

5 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

I really don't understand this achievement. If Guybrush tries to down himself during Monkey 2, he simply swims back to the top for air. It feels like Ron and Dave forgot this.

I mean, at the end of the day, it's meant to be a joke. I don't think Ron and Dave forgot so much as they simply didn't want to repeat themselves.

Edited by demone
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

I feel you on this theme.

But in this specific example, the fact that they make you work so hard for it makes me think they wanted to add the second time you could actually die in this franchise!

2 hours ago, Marius said:

TP, what are you talking about? Who is we?

The fans... What I'm trying to say is: There's some things in ReMI that feel like they came out of not knowing the originals well enough. For example choosing to have a bucket and sponge at Stan's Used Shipyard when it's been established that his ships were filthy. Chances are they simply forgot that obscure line appeared in MI1.

(In MI1 if you try to claim you work for Stan cleaning his ships ("I clean ships over at Stan's used ship yard"), you're immediately shut down: "I haven't seen a clean ship over there in years." In ReMI: "This is the bucket Stan used to use to clean his ships.")

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

The fans...

For example, in MI1 if you try to claim you work for Stan cleaning his ships ("I clean ships over at Stan's used ship yard"), you're immediately shut down: "I haven't seen a clean ship over there in years."

In ReMI: "This is the bucket Stan used to use to clean his ships."

All of us are going to like or dislike different things with this. So you may never be satisfied on this topic (just as I may never be able to look at the game's character art without becoming furious or sad).

For me? For me, the Prelude set the tone for this game: it isn't going to be perfectly consistent. I shouldn't expect it to be perfectly consistent. They're going to sort of try, and they're going to be consistent in SOME areas... but it isn't their priority. If we can, we should leave that expectation behind at the "scary door" that 'Brush and Chucky came out of.

It's not my favorite kind of story. But... I think it is the story, and where the creators are coming from.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

All of us are going to like or dislike different things with this. So you may never be satisfied on this topic (just as I may never be able to look at the game's character art without becoming furious or sad).

For me? For me, the Prelude set the tone for this game: it isn't going to be perfectly consistent. I shouldn't expect it to be perfectly consistent. They're going to sort of try, and they're going to be consistent in SOME areas... but it isn't their priority. If we can, we should leave that expectation behind at the "scary door" that 'Brush and Chucky came out of.

It's not my favorite kind of story. But... I think it is the story, and where the creators are coming from.

Yeah, there's just a few things where I wonder: Did this come from not remembering, or not caring (as in, "this is only minor"). 

This seems like a big thing to forget, though, so it probably was intentional. Or they just loved the flip of "certain death" to "dowsed in root beer" too much.

For those wanted to collect trivia cards: This is very useful information!

I seem to recall that Jenn previously posted that it's 8 unanswered cards that prevent spawning.

Unsure how long the timer is, and I assume they meant "they spawn after a real-time delay of NOT being in an area".

1 hour ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

The fans... What I'm trying to say is: There's some things in ReMI that feel like they came out of not knowing the originals well enough. For example choosing to have a bucket and sponge at Stan's Used Shipyard when it's been established that his ships were filthy. Chances are they simply forgot that obscure line appeared in MI1.

(In MI1 if you try to claim you work for Stan cleaning his ships ("I clean ships over at Stan's used ship yard"), you're immediately shut down: "I haven't seen a clean ship over there in years." In ReMI: "This is the bucket Stan used to use to clean his ships.")

Good grief. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Remi said:

Good grief. 

Exasperation for discussing the minutiae of Monkey Island? We spent 160+ posts debating which game had the least amount of monkeys in it!

Besides, for me that line was very fresh in my mind as I heard it on a playthrough the day before I played ReMI.

3 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

But in this specific example, the fact that they make you work so hard for it makes me think they wanted to add the second time you could actually die in this franchise!

The second time you could actually drown, you mean?

I mean, Guybrush can (or must!) die to some degree in every game in the series. You can drown in Secret and Return and you can be dissolved by acid in LeChuck’s Revenge. You “die” in Curse because of mixing alcohol with medicine and you really, literally die in Tales (spoilers, heh). In Escape, there’s a time travel puzzle that allows you to straight up shoot a version of Guybrush and create a time paradox.

I guess my point is that Escape is underrated and would probably be lovely to play with a mouse, like Grim Fandango Remastered ;)

1 minute ago, Radogol said:

The second time you could actually drown, you mean?

I mean, Guybrush can (or must!) die to some degree in every game in the series. You can drown in Secret and Return and you can be dissolved by acid in LeChuck’s Revenge. You “die” in Curse because of mixing alcohol with medicine and you really, literally die in Tales (spoilers, heh). In Escape, there’s a time travel puzzle that allows you to straight up shoot a version of Guybrush and create a time paradox.

I guess my point is that Escape is underrated and would probably be lovely to play with a mouse, like Grim Fandango Remastered ;)

Indeed, I meant to say "get a Game Over" rather than "die"! 😆

I do enjoy Escape.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Sometimes I think certain things are because we know the games better than they do...

I'm not sure how positively that depicts the psyche of super-knowledgeable fans 😛 but recently I read a tweet by Dave Grossman and I considered it a good example on how things evolve in non-fan realities:

image.png

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LowLevel said:

I'm not sure how positively that depicts the psyche of super-knowledgeable fans 😛 but recently I read a tweet by Dave Grossman and I considered it a good example on how things evolve in non-fan realities:

image.png

Yes, precisely. I do sympathise with my unrealistic expectations (it would be weird if Ron and Dave remembered every detail after all these years, would they have been replaying their own game for 32 years?? -- eek). On the flip side, who else was ReMI for if not the people who have been wondering about the end of MI2 for decades? So it's a balance...

When films do this sort of thing, they tend it get it more right... but that's probably because it's much easier to watch and movie and see everything. In games there's a bazillion little branches and obscurities. (Of course, they also often hire fan-experts who point out any contradictions.)

I do have to say that the ending of ReMI has possibly made me less enamoured with the series... or I guess I mean it's made me want to move on from it. As I said in another post, I'm starting to feel like a middle-aged man dressed in faux pirate attire sitting on a park bench.

My two favourite things in the world (Twin Peaks and Monkey Island) got decades later follow-ups and conclusions. I think I'm a bit done with looking backwards. Maybe it's time to focus on finding new things to fall in love with...

• Like 2
  • Chef's Kiss 1

A formative event in my young adulthood was watching the DVD commentaries for Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Cleese, Idle, Gilliam, Jones, and Palin were spread across two different commentaries, you see.

At one point, a couple of them are laughing and remembering as a new scene comes up. They start quoting the scene. And they quote the scene wrong. They quote the scene wrong, a bunch.

A little part of my fanbrain is still working it all out. But it was formative for me in realizing: these creators have given us tremendous gifts and shown immense brilliance in creating them. In many cases, it has been a labor of love and a bit of their lives. However, it has not been the entirety of their lives. Because they are healthy humans, it was not even the focal point of their lives. It was a job... maybe a job they enjoyed, and maybe one that they still remember fondly. But it was a career and a creation - it was not a hobby.

1 hour ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

My two favourite things in the world (Twin Peaks and Monkey Island) got decades later follow-ups and conclusions. I think I'm a bit done with looking backwards. Maybe it's time to focus on finding new things to fall in love with...

If you played Sonic the Hedgehog, then Sonic Mania is safe. Shovel Knight is also good for a hodgepodge of NES feels, but reddit tells me the jury's still out on its latest sequel.

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

On the flip side, who else was ReMI for if not the people who have been wondering about the end of MI2 for decades?

I like to think of the "for whom" theme as "the game was dedicated to us" but not more than that. Unfortunately, I've seen the "for whom" theme exploited by some fans in other social venues to imply the existence of some sort of "moral debt" that developers should feel obligated to repay. That's where I disagree.

13 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

or I guess I mean it's made me want to move on from it.

I find this interesting because I feel the same way, but probably for different reasons than you do. I just got that closure from RtMI that I was looking for, so I no longer feel the need for a new chapter in the story. What I always envisioned as a trilogy has finally been completed. Of course, if more games come along I will still play them, just as I played the games in the franchise that didn't interest me much, but I already feel satisfied with the circle that has been closed for me. That's why moving on and preserving the experience in my heart might be the most natural thing for me to do. 🙂

13 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

It was a job... maybe a job they enjoyed, and maybe one that they still remember fondly. But it was a career and a creation - it was not a hobby.

Yes, that's something that should always be kept in mind. Creators and fans live a game in very different ways.

There is a funny scene in Galaxy Quest in which the relationship between actors and fans pointing out obscure mismatching details is parodied with excruciating accuracy. 😁

• Like 1

EDIT: LowLevel just referred to the Galaxy Quest story, and I missed it. Ha. /EDIT

I'm also remembering a part of the film Galaxy Quest. The premise is that our main characters were actors on a show like Star Trek. A group of aliens saw the episodes of this show and thought it was real; they recreated their starship in a working fashion and got the main characters to be their heroes. At one point in the film, Tim Allen's character has to get through a crazy dangerous part of the ship. He ends up calling a group of crazy fanboys (who were asking annoying questions at a convention earlier and were way too obsessed with a fictional show), and these fanboys use detailed schematics they made of the ship and are able to guide him through safely.

EDIT: The curator feels like a swing taken at obsessive fanboys. The factcthat he gets details wrong specifically reminds me of the guy.brush story... but it feels a little unkind to us. To better reflect obsessive fans, I feel like the museum curator would have jumped on information Guybrush gave him and harass him for more (that fits the version of guy.brush story that I hear; fans love to be given new information).

Then he could ask Guybrush specifics that nobody knows or care about, like: "Did you really meet a Bob, Joe, and Larry impaled on Monkey Island? How did you know their names?" 

Edited by BaronGrackle