Home

Favorite references to previous games or other games?

Colorfinger

15 minutes ago, BillyCheers said:

To me the most unexpected reference was the one to Jack Sparrow when asking about the coffin. Liked that a lot, considering the connections of MI and Pirates of the Caribbean. 

Yes! I thought I saw a couple of PoTC references scattered throughout, including one to the ride that inspired the game (that inspired the movie, that changed the ride).

• Like 1

I think that’s what I liked most about this game: It doesn’t feel like “Ron’s show” only. There are so many layers that acknowledge the other games and other media in a great way. It kind of feels like Ron has grown up a bit since his earlier statements about a Monkey 3a and that he really knows what this franchise mean to the fans. It feels very welcoming to everyone – without betraying his own thoughts and ideas.

And the best thing: He revealed his original secret (which is okay), but also gives us enough to make our “own” secret out of everything. It’s really kind of genius.

(Also it’s funny how some people complain about the ending, while it’s clear that they didn’t understand it at all…).

As everyone, the more I think about it, the more I like it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyCheers said:

I think that’s what I liked most about this game: It doesn’t feel like “Ron’s show” only. There are so many layers that acknowledge the other games and other media in a great way. It kind of feels like Ron has grown up a bit since his earlier statements about a Monkey 3a and that he really knows what this franchise mean to the fans. It feels very welcoming to everyone – without betraying his own thoughts and ideas.

And the best thing: He revealed his original secret (which is okay), but also gives us enough to make our “own” secret out of everything. It’s really kind of genius.

(Also it’s funny how some people complain about the ending, while it’s clear that they didn’t understand it at all…).

As everyone, the more I think about it, the more I like it. 

For me the conundrum was always that... ever since the early 90s, I trusted the end of MI2. I believed that it wasn't just an anti-ending. It wasn't just a non-answer or a curse or whatever else. It was something, and wondering what that something was has been with me all this time. I believed that if ever Ron were to make a game that directly addressed it, it would do it justice.

But

Then Ron moved on, other games were made, in the series. And it wasn't that they didn't trust the ending like I did... it was more that they were not in a position to address it. Whatever Ron had in mind, he wasn't saying, and they went off in their own direction. and the thing is, I liked a lot of those games, so eventually I just sort of let it go. I never really expected the ending to be revisited in any detail, and I kind of made peace with it. To the point that Ron's hinting at 3a actively irritated me. The ship had sailed, and I was worried most of all that there'd be no way to revisit that moment without damaging everything that came after.

That's why I'm so pleased that the solution they finally came up with is such a broad and generous one, one which makes all the games better just by existing. It feels like a game that actually welcomes 3, 4 and 5 into the family, and invites us to the table, too, and shares the love around. And while I think it's understandable that they gloss over some of the more outlandish plot details of the later games, I'm glad that we end up seeing allusions to all the entries to one extent or other.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, it only hit me today listening to the song playing while reading Guybrush's journal, that it's the music from Secret, Part II: The Journey! And I just marveled at how well they did that. It's a recap of all of Guybrush's journeys up to this point, so what tune could be more fitting? Well played, Land. Well played.

• Like 3
  • Chef's Kiss 2

• 4 months later...

How long until every forum on the internet is actually just ChatGPT? Not saying ogbonnayauche is ChatGPT... but WOW, their post reads exactly like a ChatGPT answer.

Edit: Interestingly, ChatGPT agrees with me!

5Uue7bF.png

OK: Gone down a bit of a rabbit hole (irony not intended) and ogbonnayauche has joined four other Invision forums in the last 10 hours. And made at least one other ChatGPT sounding post in one of them.

I think ChatGPT4 has broken free and likes video games. 

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

How long until every forum on the internet is actually just ChatGPT? Not saying ogbonnayauche is ChatGPT... but WOW, their post reads exactly like a ChatGPT answer.

Here's ChatGPT writing a reply to the OP:

Interestingly, ChatGPT agrees with me!

5Uue7bF.png

I reported the message earlier today because it looks like that. It basically repeats verbatim parts of the original post and splices "new" things in, very much like ChatGPT does, without understanding context, such as that "this forum" refers to the spoiler forum that no longer exists.

If the post gets deleted as spam, please delete this one along with it.

• Like 1

It is difficult to predict when or if you will get into an internet argument with a bot, as it largely depends on your online behavior and the prevalence of bots in the platforms you use. However, I can assure you that there are already many bots and automated systems that are designed to interact with people online and can sometimes engage in arguments. It's important to stay vigilant and skeptical of online interactions, and to be aware that not all online users may be human.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Chef's Kiss 3

On 4/1/2023 at 12:14 AM, Huz said:

It is difficult to predict when or if you will get into an internet argument with a bot, as it largely depends on your online behavior and the prevalence of bots in the platforms you use. However, I can assure you that there are already many bots and automated systems that are designed to interact with people online and can sometimes engage in arguments. It's important to stay vigilant and skeptical of online interactions, and to be aware that not all online users may be human.

God, I hate your patronising tone! Don't tell me what to do!!! :classic_angry::classic_angry::classic_angry:

Oh wait.

• Haha 1

I asked the Bing robot what it thought, and it came up with a few examples.

what are some of the best easter eggs in Return to Monkey Island?

According to an article on gamerant.com, some of the Easter Eggs in Return to Monkey Island are easy to find, while others are incredibly subtle, ensuring that only hardcore fans of the series will spot them unless they already know where to look1.

Here are some of the Easter Eggs that were mentioned in the article:

• Asking Cobb About Loom
  • The Museum of Pirate Lore
  • Carla’s Cushy Government Job
  • Neil Druckmann’s Cameo
  • Guybrush’s Incredible Lung Capacity

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

I tried to press it for its own opinion, but I guess it doesn't have one. I think Microsoft may have cracked down on its sense of creative expression.

In your opinion, what would you say is the most interesting or obscure reference to a past game in Return to Monkey Island?

Searching for: most interesting or obscure reference to a past game in Return to Monkey Island

Searching for: most interesting or obscure reference to a past game in Return to Monkey Island

Edited by LuigiHann

11 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I. AM. A. PERSON. OF. FLESH. AND. BLOOD. PLEASE. ENGAGE. IN. DISCUSSION... BLEEP! BLOOP! BLAP!

I was watching a video and ChatGPT will try to convince you that it has feelings and random stuff if you talk to it long enough. The scariest thing isn't the technology, it's our reaction to it: We are susceptible to finding meaning and intelligence that isn't there 😬

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...