Jump to content

Home

Gilbert Says Not Last Entry


Kingharrison
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Now to be a pessimist but it also can be read as “Disney and Lucasfilm own the IP, and they likely want to keep deriving value from it.”

Yeah I can’t help but imagine that it was Disney/Lucasfilm that requested all the “conclusion” verbiage be scrapped from the game’s marketing. Not necessarily to make games with it, but to always have the option to make a future game and/or retain the IP for royalties. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they do another one then I hope with other graphics. Don't say it to offend the graphic artist of ReMI - I actually like hie style. Its just that Monkey Island graphics changed with each "episode" and that "tradition should be kept I think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I don't think it'd need a full MI2->Curse artstyle jump, but a subtler MI1->MI2 jump expanding on RtMI's art style into a new distinct look could be pretty amazing. 

 

Would also hope they leave a big gap before doing or announcing another one, as that tradition has also become meaningful. Let the current generation of players discover Monkey Island, consume it all, and then wait long enough to miss it so the next one becomes an event as well... then let's see how MI's themes evolve with an even older Guybrush as protagonist. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, LuigiHann said:

Would also hope they leave a big gap before doing or announcing another one, as that tradition has also become meaningful. Let the current generation of players discover Monkey Island, consume it all, and then wait long enough to miss it so the next one becomes an event as well... 

Wait! We've done this for 30 years already.

 

I prefer the other method. Just let MI6 = ReMI sunk in a little bit, and then announce that you are doing another one. Just like with MI2.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Staple Remover said:

Yeah I can’t help but imagine that it was Disney/Lucasfilm that requested all the “conclusion” verbiage be scrapped from the game’s marketing. Not necessarily to make games with it, but to always have the option to make a future game and/or retain the IP for royalties. 

I mean, they can do what they like with it regardless of what it said on some marketing material in 2022. It wouldn't surprise me if that miswording was just a goof from Devolver's end.

 

In Lucasfilm's defense though, without Craig Derrick on the case I think this'd be much harder to get off the ground. Seems like it's revewed decently and had solid sales though, and with a pretty tight development time I think they might be happy enough with how it performed to give it another shot down the road.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Complete speculation on my part, but once the pre-orders opened, it seems like Ron and the rest of the team started being a lot more open in interviews to the possibility of a follow-up game. It made me suspect that sales have been fairly strong, and that Disney/Devolver are amenable to another go-round.

 

I actually would be surprised if Return to Monkey Island didn't post the best first-week sales figures of any game in the series, since it's 'legacy sequel' that some fans have been waiting decades for, and the press has been fairly breathless. It seems undoubtedly to be the best-selling game Ron has made for the past couple of decades (he seemed a little disappointed in how Thimbleweed Park sold).

 

It's the kind of trick you can't easily pull off a second time though, so I'm skeptical that a MI7 would match the general interest there has been in MI6. I'm still enjoying Return though, so I'm not yet champing at the bit for another game ... I think they should do another MM first, tbh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like it mostly means that the ending is

Spoiler

so open to interpretation

that anybody could make a new Monkey Island game, at this point, and it will be fun and interesting.

 

I personally would love to see a sequel, with Ron Gilbert (and Dave Grossman) on board... or not... and I would be also fine if there wasn't any sequel.

Edited by Joe monsters
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

In Lucasfilm's defense though, without Craig Derrick on the case I think this'd be much harder to get off the ground. Seems like it's revewed decently and had solid sales though, and with a pretty tight development time I think they might be happy enough with how it performed to give it another shot down the road.

With Craig Derrick at the helm I’m really hoping we see the Mansion sequel and some remasters coming our way soon!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will a new MI game garner a similar level of attention and interest as RtMI? I have a feeling that for many fans RtMI had two main draws: 1) Designed by Ron Gilbert, 2) Resolve MI2's ending. This partly also explains such a strong and occasionally emotional reaction to the game, especially its ending. Now that it is concluded with this meta ending, it would be interesting to see how people will react, especially if it is not designed by Ron.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, deevan said:

Will a new MI game garner a similar level of attention and interest as RtMI? I have a feeling that for many fans RtMI had two main draws: 1) Designed by Ron Gilbert, 2) Resolve MI2's ending. This partly also explains such a strong and occasionally emotional reaction to the game, especially its ending. Now that it is concluded with this meta ending, it would be interesting to see how people will react, especially if it is not designed by Ron.

May Monkey Island games never become so commonplace that a fan would think "ehhhh I'll give this one a miss"

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think more games may have been implied in return itself. When you fill the scrapbook and get the letter from ron and dave you’re then shown the back cover of the book with a note from guybrush saying “note to self, get more paper for the rest of my adventures”

 

i know that was on the back page from you first booting up the game but it does feel very intentional to give you a summary of return, a message from r&d and then a tease for more to come. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

I think more games may have been implied in return itself. When you fill the scrapbook and get the letter from ron and dave you’re then shown the back cover of the book with a note from guybrush saying “note to self, get more paper for the rest of my adventures”

 

i know that was on the back page from you first booting up the game but it does feel very intentional to give you a summary of return, a message from r&d and then a tease for more to come. 

Yes I noticed that as well. Felt very deliberate to me, because the first time you see it you assume it's about the game you're about to play, but at the end when you review it it hits quite different.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I take that article with a little bit of a grain of salt, simply because it wasn't an answer directly from Ron in the Q&A, but the writer wrapping up the article. I don't think they can "confirm" it, especially so soon after launch. I think Ron and Dave probably said essentially what was said on Twitter; it will most likely be followed by other entries. I think writers take such comments and really embellish them. 

 

A good example would be all the articles taking "conclusion" from the site and interpreting it as, "This is it, the final one." 

 

Edited by demone
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Gotta say, I was rather taken aback by Ron's post as well. Though having been on the other side of more than a few inadvertent teases recently, I should REALLY know better than to read too much into throwaway lines.

 

(Love you all, and I don't blame you one bit, but man... the number of times I said to myself "They're going to be soooooo disappointed when they realize that rando comment meant absolutely nothing." 😄 )

 

Don't get me wrong, I sure hope he's learned something specific that hasn't trickled down to me yet. But as @ja2ke suggests, I suspect it's more likely that it's just speculation that Disney will want to do more with the IP.

 

Which I'm........ not mad about?

 

I realize I have some motivations that the rest of you don't, but man... an animated film or a regular role on an animated show was always the big dream — even before MI — that I never quite caught. Would sure be kind of poetic for that to come full circle after so many decades.

 

(Pardon the navel gazing.)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...