Home

Gilbert Says Not Last Entry

Kingharrison

After so long without a new Monkey Island game, I'd hate to see it fade away again for another decade. Return is doing really well, it's getting great reviews, hopefully selling well, nominated for Joystick awards, etc. The chances of another one sooner rather than later are pretty high, imo. I think it just depends on if Ron wants to do it or if Disney want to shop the IP around to others, like Skunkape, or New Telltale. Personally I think it'd be great to see Wadjet Eye do one, that'd be cool. Return I think has really freed the next entry to be unburnded by the idea of the creator's "one true vision" or wondering what the Secret is. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that one big theme of Return is Ron essentially surrendering Monkey Island to us. I know people have interpreted Guybrush as fans who grew up with it and Boybrush as when we first played, but I think that also, Guybrush is Ron and Boybrush is all the people who played his games and went on to make Monkey Island games with their own takes. He's saying "Monkey Island is more than me, we all make it special", and I think that's where I eventually found the beauty in the ending.  

I know that a lot of people have said that they're fine with this being the last one, and I get that. But also, I think this is a rich world that, regardless if you believe it's real or not, is ripe for further development and as long as there is a fun adventure worth going on, there should be another one. The series has never been more ideally placed to have  a Curse-style simple adventure OR another serialised story like Tales, probably moreso than when those games were released and some people were too focused on their wish for Ron to take over to appreciate what was given to us. I do think that the next one should absolutely go to completely new places, no more revisiting past islands with as few returning characters as possible, just the core gang who always show up. 

If a new story is not to be, I think now is the perfect time to make remasters of the remaining games and put all of them together into a nice package. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dmnkly said:

I realize I have some motivations that the rest of you don't, but man... an animated film or a regular role on an animated show was always the big dream — even before MI — that I never quite caught. Would sure be kind of poetic for that to come full circle after so many decades.

Looking forward to Chris Pratt's take on your iconic role 😅

Edited by Gins
double post
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Dmnkly said:

Gotta say, I was rather taken aback by Ron's post as well. Though having been on the other side of more than a few inadvertent teases recently, I should REALLY know better than to read too much into throwaway lines.

(Love you all, and I don't blame you one bit, but man... the number of times I said to myself "They're going to be soooooo disappointed when they realize that rando comment meant absolutely nothing." 😄 )

Don't get me wrong, I sure hope he's learned something specific that hasn't trickled down to me yet. But as @ja2ke suggests, I suspect it's more likely that it's just speculation that Disney will want to do more with the IP.

Which I'm........ not mad about?

I realize I have some motivations that the rest of you don't, but man... an animated film or a regular role on an animated show was always the big dream — even before MI — that I never quite caught. Would sure be kind of poetic for that to come full circle after so many decades.

(Pardon the navel gazing.)

Oh, now I understand the part of your reddit post that asked, "Why stop at games?"

It's true that not too long ago, I fantasized about the idea of Guybrush Threepwood growing to overshadow Jack Sparrow. To walk out of the Pirates of the Caribbean Ride into the gift shop at Disney World or Disneyland, and see Monkey Island merchandise. Shovel Knight has an amiibo; why not Guybrush?

(types a paragraph of hate and fear against Rex art characters, then deletes it)

Maybe you guys will get something like that someday.

Edited by BaronGrackle