Home

LeChucks voice

MichaelSon

We all know that LeChucks voice actor has changed as the former didn't want the job anymore.

But I have noticed that the voice actor of Gullet (or Gullit) - one of the zombies of LeChucks crew - actually sounds more like the former LeChuck.

At least to my ears.

Any idea who voiced this Zombie?

Have you had the same impression? 

IMDB says Gullet was voiced by JB Blanc, who seems to have a long history of voice acting in games and animation, alongside a few live-action roles:

JB Blanc - IMDb

Gullet's voice didn't strike me as especially LuChuck-like in RtMI, but it could have worked. The one they chose was pretty good for the characterization of LeChuck they were going for. 

(If I wanted to find somebody who naturally sounds closest to Earl Boen, I might have asked Tom Butler - who most recently played Commander Walters, the "Olive Garden Guy" in the Sonic the Hedgehog movies... Doesn't look like he does much if any voice acting so it'd be a stretch, but I feel like he'd be game, and I just felt like he had a Boen-like presence in those movies. But anyway)

I (as everybody I guess) love Boen’s LeChuck, but I also love Harness’ interpretation! And I think it’s much more fitting for LeChuck’s role and character design in ReMI as Boen could have been. I thought I’d miss the old voice, but no: For this game the new one is perfect to me. I enjoyed every dialogue with him

und often went to LeChuck’s office, just to hear him shouting with rage. 

• Like 2

I’m going to be thought-provoking, I apologize… I absolutely love Harnell’s interpretation… and I therefore like him more than Boen.

He has more of an old dangerous pirate vibe, like Black Beard. He felt threatening to me, whether Boen felt funnier.

Also, I might not be as attached to Boen as most of the people here because I first played Curse in French in the 90s, so LeChuck didn’t sound like Boen or Harnell – just some very threatening French guy.

I still love Boen’s interpretation, don’t get me wrong.

Edited by Joe monsters
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BillyCheers said:

I (as everybody I guess) love Boen’s LeChuck, but I also love Harness’ interpretation! And I think it’s much more fitting for LeChuck’s role and character design in ReMI as Boen could have been. I thought I’d miss the old voice, but no: For this game the new one is perfect to me. I enjoyed every dialogue with him

und often went to LeChuck’s office, just to hear him shouting with rage. 

I also thought Harness did a wonderful job, and it wasn't too long before I forgot about the casting change. That being said, I'm grateful for and really enjoyed Boen's LeChuck over the years!

• Like 1

Yeah, Harness did a great job and also sounded very organic. My biggest fear was that his take would sound very forced, but it didn't at all. 

Others have said it, but I think a change in voice actually complimented the take on the character for this entry. LeChuck seems lost in this one: his diary shows that he was still terrorizing the seas but unable to let go of his lust for Elaine and his obsession for revenge on Guybrush.

His sudden decision to search for the secret again is almost like a mid-life crisis. He's attacking the seas, but still doesn't have control over them or Elaine and resorted to the last potential source of power he knew about. He's in denial on how much his hatred of Guybrush drives him and projects his own obsession about the secret onto Guybrush. 

By the end, he lost the faith of his crew and killed some of them while the rest abandoned him. He was left alone to fight for what was eventually revealed as nothing more than a T-shirt and was enveloped by his lust for the secret. 

Guybrush also remarks that LeChuck's ship seems like one giant mid-life crisis, so I think this was indeed the theme Ron and Dave intended to come across for the character. 

Edited by demone
  • Like 4