• Monkey Island
    • Sailing Map
    • Brrr Muda
    • Barebones Island
    • Terror Island
    • Scurvy Island
    • Below Monkey Island and beyond

• Jake pinned this topic

At the moment Scurvy Island is the most important music to me.

I didn’t collect all my thoughts on the whole game yet, but Guybrush is so lost that it depresses me. Scurvy Island gives me a break from that. It screams “Everything is going to be ok.”. I visit the place regularly through playthroughs.

• Like 5

On my first playthrough I mostly noticed the revisited old themes, but now I'm discovering more and more amazing new themes, like Barebones, the Brrr Muda Border Ship, Brrr Muda Castle and obviously Scurvy Island (although that's technically just a variation on The Journey - but an amazing one).

By the way, to everyone who loved the Woodtick theme being revisited (as an accordion-only version) on the Sea Map, try clicking on your own ship when on the map. You'll get a close-up of it AND a perfectly clean (i.e. not "distant-sounding") version of the cue.

Edited by Laserschwert

I voted for LeShip as well. Same reason as Romão and Remi.

I also like others, like the already mentioned Scurvy Island and Barebones Island.

Another one that is also very good and not mentioned often, albite a bit short is the Scurvy control point, but unfortunately you don't spend much time there.

Edited by Blondebeard

Also, though I voted for LeShip since it’s just a chefs kiss of nostalgia, I love the BrrrMuda music. It’s such a cool expansion of the Monkey Island sound into new places. It’s a genre mashup that I’ve never really heard before, but works so well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jake said:

I recommend a playthrough with voice turned all the way off and maybe even ambience turned off. It sounds great and gives you a legitimate old school feel. 

Yeah I was saying to a friend that I might do this. I really feel like a lot of my feelings about how MI1 and 2's writing feels are tied to how it sounded in my head. That's definitely not all of it because the writing of CMI approached the same feel for me despite having voices for the first time, but there's definitely something about this, and also I want to see if perhaps I feel more strongly about the music if that's the main audio I'm focused on.

The more I listen to that little snippet of music, the more that I think it might be subtly playing on the Melee Island map theme.

^^^ this thing I said after they did that very first 10 second Melee Island snippet turned out to be a good shout. I'm glad they went here with it, it makes it feel familiar despite the zone previously being mostly silent.

I also really love this track:

It's a really cool riff on Diving for the Sea Monkey from Monkey Island 2, while still being totally its own thing. I just wish we could've spend more time in that underwater "room", with puzzles to solve

• Like 1

I love the classic forest theme on Melee Island. Already loved it in MI1.

What I don't like though that they really screwed up the music when Guybrush being on Monkey Island. 

In MI1 you've had a theme that sounded adventurous and mystical at the same time.

Now you had sth that sounds idealess - at least for me.

I know what you mean, but for me that tonal shift was something I liked. I am totally guessing but I feel like they tried to make Monkey Island feel more like a safe, gentle place this time around that Guybrush knows well. Getting there is no longer some big mystery, and there’s actually not much there any more — or so it seems.

Obviously it becomes quite unsafe in the end but it generally has a warm, nostalgic feel that I enjoy.

• Like 1

• Jake unpinned this topic