Home

Make one serious REMI prediction: The Results!

ThunderPeel2001

OzzieMonkey

“The game will have more than 4 "Parts".“

TRUE!

LowLevel

“My serious prediction is that the authors have found a way to make the game feel like a final third installment, in the sense that a person unfamiliar with the franchise could play only "Secret," "Revenge," and "Return" sequentially and feel them as an entire cohesive and organic story.”

FALSE

KestrelPI

Struggled to make ONE prediction…

“The carnival/child Guybrush is in SOME sense real, and the 'real' guybrush we're playing now is genuinely grown up.”

TRUE! Nicely done.

“As is the brother thing, that's also real.”

FALSE!

“It might not be quite what we imagined, but it's also not going to be 'actually nah that was all just a spell that LeChuck put on you’.”

EH?

“The opening of the game will address this, but it'll be revisited at the end too.”

FALSE!

JacquesSparkyTail

“My prediction is that no more than 2 of these characters (Captain smirk, meathook, the cannibals, the navigator head, the fettuccini brothers, largo legrande, the voodoo priest, the men of low moral fibre, kate capsize, govenor phatt, the barbary coast crew, kenny, goodsoup, i.Cheese, pegnose pete, van winslow and morgan leflay) will appear. To be just a little more pessimistic i’ll say probably just the cannibals.”

TRUE - None of them appeared!

fentongames

““The Secret” will be different for every player depending on their specific in-game actions (I.e. which order puzzles were actioned in, which option players took to solve a multi-solution puzzle early on, like Fate of Atlantis, etc.) There will be a hundred or so variations of it in the final game.”

FALSE (Edit: Or is it?! Is there more to this that I initially thought?? https://mixnmojo.com/features/sitefeatures/The-Many-Epilogues-of-Return-to-Monkey-Island ) 

“Okay, I’m only half serious about this, but I am expecting a degree of a joke for the secret’s reveal, or at least something that raises a few more questions.”

KIND OF?

Guybrush Transmasc

“The secret is revealed in the early game, so the narrative can spend time really digging into its ramifications.”

FALSE

“Also, if I'm allowed a low stakes mini-prediction: There will be a situation where Wally gets one over Guybrush, a role reversal of the dynamic they had in MI2.”

Ok... FALSE

ThunderPeel2001

“Ron will have added a new clever structure to REMI, the likes of which we’ve not seen before in a MI title.“

TRUE (I think, but I'm biased)

THE WINNER

KestrelPI for “The carnival/child Guybrush is in SOME sense real, and the 'real' guybrush we're playing now is genuinely grown up.”

Thanks for playing!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

13 minutes ago, LowLevel said:

Wait, why wouldn't it feel like a third chapter to a person who played only the Gilbert games? 😕

Hmm. I interpreted what you said to mean that it would be closing chapter with little references to the other games in the series, when actually the whole experience (including the scrap book and trivia book) is designed to bring them into one cohesive whole.

So, I said false because it doesn't feel like a "final third instalment", it seems to go out of its way to be inclusive of every story -- and any future stories.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

16 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

KestrelPI

Struggled to make ONE prediction…

“The carnival/child Guybrush is in SOME sense real, and the 'real' guybrush we're playing now is genuinely grown up.”

TRUE! Nicely done.

“As is the brother thing, that's also real.”

FALSE!

“It might not be quite what we imagined, but it's also not going to be 'actually nah that was all just a spell that LeChuck put on you’.”

EH?

“The opening of the game will address this, but it'll be revisited at the end too.”

FALSE!

Nuh-UH!

The 3rd point, why EH? seems straightforward enough. I was repeating my prediction that I don't think going to be 'it's just a LeChuck spell', but adding that I think it might not quite be quite what we imagined (i.e. just kid Guybrush coming out of his fantasy) ... which is TRUE because in the end it turned out not to be Guybrush at all. And it's also absolutely true that the opening of the game addresses this some, and it's revisited again at the end.

In fact, thinking about it, in the thread I only made 2 predictions

* That it's not just LeChuck's spell, and the carnival/kid guybrush is in some sense real but we'll catch up with him as a grown up and the start of the game will address this and the end of the game will revisit it. (Okay, it's a long prediction but it's all about the same thing)

* I sort of made a throwaway incorrect prediction in the middle of all that, that the brothers thing is real.

I also predicted (though elsewhere) that Guybrush would have a kid and we'd see him taking him to the carnival, though the way I described it happening was somewhat different.

(that said, I'm happy to 'win' 😅)

16 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Hmm. I interpreted what you said to mean that it would be closing chapter with little references to the other games in the series, when actually the whole experience (including the scrap book and trivia book) is designed to bring them into one cohesive whole.

So, I said false because it doesn't feel like a "final third instalment", it seems to go out of its way to be inclusive of every story -- and any future stories.

The main thing to me is Guybrush and Elaine's relationship, which is at best tenuous at the end of 2 but seems almost completely repaired in ReMI. But also Murray, and the various other allusions made to the rest of the story. I think it's fair to say that it mostly works as a 3rd installment but there would still be some elements which would puzzle a player who didn't play CMI at least. Which tallies with Ron's advice of which games to play to prepare (1 and 2, 3 if you have time)

Edited by KestrelPi
  • Like 1