Home

Throwaway lines and gags in MI games, that actually weren't

Redbeard_1973

Hey y'all.

Ok. I'm posting this in the non ReMI spoiler forum because though my thought was triggered by Return it actually is about the first two installments but since it in some kind relates to ReMi, those who have not finished it should probably stop reading.

One thing I think about after having finished ReMI is that in a (don't know which) interview Ron mentioned, that the first two Games included some amount of gags and throwaway lines, that actually weren't.  What do you think, those were? The only one I can think of is: You look more like a flooring inspector to me.

Edited by Redbeard_1973
Added spoiler tags

Anything featuring a modern anachronism (e.g. grog machine). Anything referencing that they're pretending to be pirates (e.g. pirate lingo, play along!). Anything that resembles a small town (e.g. Chamber of Commerce). Anything resembling a theme park or different theme park "lands", especially in MI2. Anything that feels like a tonal shift - from goofy and childish to dark and adult, both in Guybrush himself and the universe itself, can be credited to having both adult and child narrators and playactors.

So I have a relevant question for all of you. In the Prelude, we see Boybrush and Chucky fight on a "stage" while Dee watches and comments. Can we assume that references to the fourth wall (e.g. "Who are you talking to?" with Herman) and stage performance itself (e.g. all the world's a stage, and we are actors, from the Men of Fiber and presumably Herman) can be connected to them playing in front of an audience?

The latter reference to the world being a stage could indicate just that the Men of Fiber are among the animatronics.

51 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

On my recent playthrough of MI2 I noticed SO many references to it being a video game. Not sure how that fits in...

I wasn't remembering examples, so I just went through the text dump of MI2. Whoa, boy!

Clearly the story of the Monkey Island universe is about a person named Guybrush Threepwood who wants to be a pirate... as imagined by Guybrush while in an amusement park and/or local park and/or small town... and/or as narrated by Guybrush years later to his son... and/or as playacted and retold by his son with his friends who also edit the stories... as presented in a series of video games by different teams of developers across multiple decades, with original concept conceived by Ron Gilbert because, of course, the entire saga is a fictional video game series.

-----

To the Men of Fiber: "You tried to sell me the minutes of a PTA meeting in the last game, claiming it was a map."

The water pump: "What is this doing in a pirate game?"

To Rum Rogers: "Wow, this game's a cinch."

At the Mad Monkey: "Considering this game has no drop verb, I'm doomed."

In LeChuck's Fortress: "There is no way, not even in an adventure game that I'd be able to get all those locks open."

Asking LeChuck questions over acid: "Why do adventure games cost so much?"

Dinky Hint Line: Everything, but especially: "I'm lost in the Dinky Island jungle in Monkey II."

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Thanks 1

I'm wondering if all of the substitutions Guybrush uses, in particular for Voodoo, could be the reality of the make-belief nature of the world bleeding through, since I think they are not explained in game but sound just like a child retroactively justifying a foul winning move to their playmates with child logic.

("I can't find a pressed skull but to continue playing I'll just revise the reality of my made up world to make the jolly roger work.")

21 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

On my recent playthrough of MI2 I noticed SO many references to it being a video game. Not sure how that fits in...

Last night the kids and I finished Part 3 of the new game. When you look at the wreckage of the Sea Monkey, Guybrush comments that it's the Sea Monkey "from Monkey Island 1".

So yeah, Daddy Guybrush just referenced being in a video game to Boybrush, and neither of them batted an eye.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

Last night the kids and I finished Part 3 of the new game. When you look at the wreckage of the Sea Monkey, Guybrush comments that it's the Sea Monkey "from Monkey Island 1".

So yeah, Daddy Guybrush just referenced being in a video game to Boybrush, and neither of them batted an eye.

In the end he also told Boybrush that he liked the ending of "Monkey Island 2" so much, so he figured he'd like another ending just like it for Return.

• Thanks 1

Don't know if that fits in here and if that was just a coincidence, but at some point I made a break from playing RtMI ( I know, how can someone possible do that, right? Hardly imaginable :-)) and the next time I loaded the saved game the game started with Guybrush and young Guybrush sitting on the bench in the park and Guybrush was freshen up his sons memory on what has happened so far.

I found this a very nice and cool detail and shows how much love the programmers put into the game.

Can someone confirm this? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrik said:

As well as the face value gag, I guess this could be another example of the secret’s unveiling being foreshadowed. That secret, anyway.

oGjowvE.jpg
ybdm4aO.jpg

HgKrxrZ.jpg
o6anFCv.jpg

Guybrush: "Somehow it was more exciting before I knew that."

Me: "Nuts to that, old man! I kind of wanted to know her name, and now I know her name."  😛

• Haha 4