Home

What is your favorite *NEW* character of Return to Monkey Island and why?

LowLevel

Related questions: which character did you like the most? Was it because he was funny? Was it because he was a mysterious figure? Why did the character intrigue you so much? Do you think there was something about the character that could have been explored more by the writers? Do you think the character really exists or was it just a representation of a cardboard cutout? Who invented liquid soap, and why?

My favorite new character is Lila. She is a somewhat flat character, but she is also knowledgeable, intelligent and resourceful. She is a force of nature capable of turning useless Lorem Ipsum into powerful spells. She is not afraid to fight against LeChuck. Lila is strong and can kill you with one hand while she tags your door with magical graffiti with the other.

She is also the one who tells my favorite joke in the whole game. Commenting on the irrelevance of the old pirate leaders, she mocks their very raison d'etre saying that they were probably "making up trials for each other". Genius.

The fact that she is the most knowledgeable character among the new pirate leaders made me think of a possible connection with Dee.

Edited by LowLevel
  • Like 3

When entering this thread, the name on my mind was also Lila, but I'll have to think a bit more about the others.

I think the connection between Dee and Lila makes sense as well because she turns the Guybrush/LeChuck relationship into a triangle, same as Dee does to Boybrush and Chuckie.

Also Delilah is a name, and both Dee and Lila are short for it, like Chuckie to LeChuck.

What does it all mean? 😂

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

I can't tell the characters apart, the two pale pirate leaders and the museum guy and the composer on the ship, it's really confusing for me (but this might be a personal issue, I'm bad at recognizing faces in real life as well). 

I really like Flambe, didn't do much, but that's his life moto apparently. He knows nobody can do anything about him being lazy, he's a demon after all and a handy underwater light source! Just chilling in the crowsnest. 

I know it's not a new character, but I love how they presented the cook in the Scumm-Bar, the spiritual journey and mop enthusiasm!

• Like 2

I was also thinking about flambe. A very one note character but instantly likable and, dare i say, relatable. 

I think i’m going to go with gullet though. Great voice acting, beautiful poetry and some of the funniest lines.

“I am your deity of choice. A cruel and vengeful deity!”

“Perhaps we can arrange a bit of roast duck under glass for your majesty”

Imo returns secret mvp.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gins said:

When entering this thread, the name on my mind was also Lila, but I'll have to think a bit more about the others.

I think the connection between Dee and Lila makes sense as well because she turns the Guybrush/LeChuck relationship into a triangle, same as Dee does to Boybrush and Chuckie.

Also Delilah is a name, and both Dee and Lila are short for it, like Chuckie to LeChuck.

What does it all mean? 😂

Wow. That’s my daughter’s name and I didn’t pick up on that at all. 😂

I did notice the superficial resemblance between Dee and Lila, but also Flair. The name aside, Lila makes the most sense because…

…at the end it’s down to her, Guybrush, and LeChuck who go through the portal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unpopular opinion:

I don’t really like the new pirate leaders. I think they’re too bland for bad guys, and they never really develope into anything interesting.

I love me some Iron Rose though. She’s pretty well developed for the role she has, and

I felt really sad for her when she met her end by the man she so adored and tried to help.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I love me some Iron Rose though. She’s pretty well developed for the role she has, and

Hide contents

I felt really sad for her when she met her end by the man she so adored and tried to help.

And the spoilered part is Guybrush's fault 😬

On 10/1/2022 at 7:52 AM, Gins said:

Also Delilah is a name, and both Dee and Lila are short for it

I didn't know that! 😯

On 10/1/2022 at 8:28 AM, neoncolor8 said:

I really like Flambe, didn't do much, but that's his life moto apparently.

True, still at some point he tries to warn Guybrush about the dangers of joining LeChuck when the chest will be opened. Maybe Flambe cared a bit.

23 hours ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

beautiful poetry

Yes, that's what I'll remember Gullet for. 😐

22 hours ago, Thrik said:

The name aside, Lila makes the most sense because…

I agree. I tried to find some connection between the two characters. Even a mention of anchors on Lila's part would have been enough to fuel my hypothesis.

17 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

I really enjoy Judge Planke... although I don't know why. His constant frustration amuses me, I think. The great animation on him helps, too.

The voice acting of that character and the line "Order.... Order!" made me kill myself laughing when I saw it in the Monkey Island Mondays video. In fact, it was my most thunderous laugh in the whole game.

13 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:
Spoiler

The way LeChuck reacted to any form of affection by Rose or any other crew member (his diary contains a few examples) was both heartbreaking and also the only way LeChuck could react.

1 hour ago, Gins said:

And the spoilered part is Guybrush's fault 😬

Really? Why?

14 minutes ago, Didero said:

Iron Rose is a strong contender, but I also really like Boybrush. He isn't that developed, but his story interjections and reaction at the end of the game are pretty endearing.

Talking about the kids, I really like this friendly Chuckie.

He seems likea friend who can get you in trouble, but he's got your back too.

Edited by Gins
add more detail
  • Like 1

I think Boybrush has been developed appropriately for the role assigned to the character. He has an important purpose and fulfills it well but, inevitably, players have more time to familiarize themselves with the characters who have more screen time. I also think that his voice actor made an excellent job.

• Like 2

I really like all of LeChuck's crew. Iron Rose for the Aussie accent (represent!) and general personality, Putra's got a fun design, Gullet's such an asshole in a fun way, Flambe's voice and general apathy are a great combo, obviously it's great to see Bob back even though he's upside down the whole game. I think Flair probably got the shortest end of the stick. Judge Planke is just off his rocker, I'm a sucker for a good pun so Locke Smith..brilliant. I thought the new pirate leaders were a great foil with all the triple-crossing, though I think Trent was underused. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I really like all of LeChuck's crew. Iron Rose for the Aussie accent (represent!) and general personality, Putra's got a fun design, Gullet's such an asshole in a fun way, Flambe's voice and general apathy are a great combo, obviously it's great to see Bob back even though he's upside down the whole game. I think Flair probably got the shortest end of the stick. Judge Planke is just off his rocker, I'm a sucker for a good pun so Locke Smith..brilliant. I thought the new pirate leaders were a great foil with all the triple-crossing, though I think Trent was underused. 

Yeah trent did next to nothing and was then presumably killed off screen by flair. Sort of a shame but they only had so much time and i think they dished out the character development correctly. 

side note: i wonder if every death happening off screen was to help make this one more kid friendly. 

Edited by JacquesSparkyTail

5 hours ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

side note: i wonder if every death happening off screen was to help make this one more kid friendly. 

How many deaths have happened on screen in Monkey Island? my attempt at remembering how much real on screen death there is:

Secret:

☠️🌸🌸 none that I can remember, unless you count ghosts getting zapped. the piranha poodles may appear dead but they are only sleeping. there is an actual kind of unsettling corpse hanging by a rope though, so one skull I guess

LeChuck’s Revenge

🌸🌸🌸 none that I can remember, unless you count Guybrush and Wally drowning in acid, which I don’t think we see anyway, it cuts away

Curse

🌸🌸🌸 same, i can’t recall any unless you count Guybrush dying in the hotel and waking up in a grave, or the pirates turning into skeletons on the lava roller coaster. it is all gags, not really played as a “death” as much as cartoon silliness

Escape

💀🌸🌸 okay real talk I don’t remember what happens in this game sorry, maybe it ends in a bloodbath. does ozzie get squished by a giant stone lechuck or something like that? I vaguely remember thinking “eugh, yuck,” so one skull but without the crossbones why not

Tales

☠️☠️☠️ Morgan dies on screen in a very dramatic way. So does Guybrush. Both are played as big death moments and not for laughs. Nipperkin and a few other characters are said to have been killed by LeChuck off screen. What a murderous game!

Return

💀🌸🌸 some characters die in the story in a way that is coded as death, but it happens off screen. another lightweight skull

I’d say Return is one of the lighter games in terms of death depiction but not the lightest. 

• Thanks 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

Well guybrush drowns in secret & is melted by acid in revenge. effete lafoot (i think that was his name) surely died when you threw him from the cliff in curse right? Also there’s the moment guybrush sees his own floating corpse under water. ozzie was crushed in escape and a load of people died in tales, some on screen, some off screen. 

To be fair though i think the difference i was thinking of was less the fact that it wasn’t shown but more the fact that it wasn’t even confirmed. All of the deaths were implied. Lechuck threatened iron rose, lila hinted towards killing madison and trent just stopped showing up after squaring off with flair. The deaths are assumed but also if any of those characters showed up in a sequel I don’t think anybody would be surprised. A kid could play this game and not even register that any deaths happened. 

for clarity though, I don’t think that’s a bad thing. I was just sort of thinking out loud. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jake said:

How many deaths have happened on screen in Monkey Island? my attempt at remembering how much real on screen death there is:

Secret:

Reveal hidden contents

☠️🌸🌸 none that I can remember, unless you count ghosts getting zapped. the piranha poodles may appear dead but they are only sleeping. there is an actual kind of unsettling corpse hanging by a rope though, so one skull I guess

LeChuck’s Revenge

Reveal hidden contents

🌸🌸🌸 none that I can remember, unless you count Guybrush and Wally drowning in acid, which I don’t think we see anyway, it cuts away

Curse

Reveal hidden contents

🌸🌸🌸 same, i can’t recall any unless you count Guybrush dying in the hotel and waking up in a grave, or the pirates turning into skeletons on the lava roller coaster. it is all gags, not really played as a “death” as much as cartoon silliness

Escape

Hide contents

💀🌸🌸 okay real talk I don’t remember what happens in this game sorry, maybe it ends in a bloodbath. does ozzie get squished by a giant stone lechuck or something like that? I vaguely remember thinking “eugh, yuck,” so one skull but without the crossbones why not

Tales

Reveal hidden contents

☠️☠️☠️ Morgan dies on screen in a very dramatic way. So does Guybrush. Both are played as big death moments and not for laughs. Nipperkin and a few other characters are said to have been killed by LeChuck off screen. What a murderous game!

Return

Reveal hidden contents

💀🌸🌸 some characters die in the story in a way that is coded as death, but it happens off screen. another lightweight skull

I’d say Return is one of the lighter games in terms of death depiction but not the lightest. 

In Escape you can shoot yourself dead with a gun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

effete lafoot (i think that was his name) surely died when you threw him from the cliff in curse right?

If you count Lafoot in MI3, then I get to count Rum Rogers in MI2. The guy keels over and is no longer an interactable object.

Then Guybrush walks past to look for his map piece and I can just hear Indy from Fate of Atlantis muttering, "He's unconscious. Or dead." with a shrug.

• Like 1