Jump to content

Home

Full Throttle Remastered Limited Run Games physical release


Sopabuena
 Share

Recommended Posts

It has happened again. Shortly after the initial announcement of a physical release for DOTT remastered, Full Throttles follows.

The options are pretty similar to DOTT: A big box version with goodies (PC or PS4/Xbox) or regular game cases for the PS4 and Xbox versions.

The big box versions comes with retro inspired goodies:

- The classic bandana from the original release

- The Corley Motors keychain that was a promo/internal item back in the day

It also includes:

- Poster

- Soundtrack CD

- Patches

- Tattoo sheet

- USB drive shaped like a key (PC version only)

 

From what I've seen only, the reception to this seems kind of lukewarm. I'm personally pretty excited, it's very faithful to the original release (horizontal box included) down to the promo items. I've seen some people online saying it's just another box full of garbage, but that was only the point. Fans of the game probably already played the remaster. It's a collector item to put in your shelf, that tries to evoke the nostalgia of getting the game back in the day.

 

So what's your opinion on it? Do you think Grim Fandango will follow or maybe the deal with im8bit gives them exclusivity?

 

 

FTLRG.jpeg

Ft2.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Hmm. I guess this is an early mockup, but why not use the explosion on the disc box case? It looks like Ben is just going for a leisurely ride!

 

Either way, this one isn't for me.

 

That yellow cover has always been the "box art" for the remastered version. It's the one used on Steam and as an icon on the console digital releases. They also changed the logo text from yellow/fire to red.

Double Fine changed the cover art for all of their remasters, and I do agree that I'm much fonder of the original art. At least they kept the OG cover for the the big box release, something that didn't happen with DOTT.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Sopabuena said:

That yellow cover has always been the "box art" for the remastered version.

 

Hmm. Not sure you can compare a small icon on a console with actual box art: https://www.mobygames.com/game/full-throttle/cover-art but even so, making than icon bigger looks odd to me. Ben just looks far too calm. They might change it for the final release, though.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

 

Hmm. Not sure you can compare a small icon on a console with actual box art: https://www.mobygames.com/game/full-throttle/cover-art but even so, making than icon bigger looks odd to me. Ben just looks far too calm. They might change it for the final release, though.

 

 

I know, but with the game being a digital-only release until now, the yellow art was the only thing we had to go by. It was also the banner on the Steam page and the the cover on the Steam Library. I totally agree that calmy driving thru the desert is a little off-character for Ben.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Sopabuena said:

I know, but with the game being a digital-only release until now, the yellow art was the only thing we had to go by. It was also the banner on the Steam page and the the cover on the Steam Library. I totally agree that calmy driving thru the desert is a little off-character for Ben.

 

Yep, I get what you're saying. It was the key art for the remaster in most places, so they're going to use what they have (and it's what people will recognise, too). I guess I never noticed how bland it looked compared to the explosion version before.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This release seems fine? It has the soundtrack on CD, the return of the classic bandana, the Corley Motors keychain is a genuinely great idea, and the box looks good. Just ignore the other stuff if you don’t care about it. Limited Run makes boxes full of fun stuff, they aren’t the criterion collection. It would be cool to get very hallowed and grown up style criterion releases of these games because they’re things we liked as kids and are now very smart and tasteful adults, but also, eh. This is closer to what I imagine a deluxe version would have actually looked like in 1995 had it existed, and that’s fun to me too. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Jake said:

This release seems fine? It has the soundtrack on CD, the return of the classic bandana, the Corley Motors keychain is a genuinely great idea, and the box looks good. Just ignore the other stuff if you don’t care about it. Limited Run makes boxes full of fun stuff, they aren’t the criterion collection. It would be cool to get very hallowed and grown up style criterion releases of these games because they’re things we liked as kids and are now very smart and tasteful adults, but also, eh. This is closer to what I imagine a deluxe version would have actually looked like in 1995 had it existed, and that’s fun to me too. 

 

I feel the same way, I genuinely don't know what I would've done different. It captures the spirit of the original release. 

I would love an art book too (there are some cool pages dedicated to the remaster in the Double Fine Book) but I don't think it should necessarily be something to be included in a release like this.

Getting two LucasArts classics in all their big box glory in 2022 is pretty good news

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A DOTT artbook would have been even more interesting to me, given the original marker backgrounds are part of the game's concept art gallery. In this case though, I'm especially interested in the soundtrack CD, as this was a much more refined remastered soundtrack than what DOTT got.

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Jake said:

the return of the classic bandana

 

Ah, I'd forgotten/been unaware there was an original promo bandana. That probably explains the weird design choices on it!

 

I can only find images of it on this ebay page: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/115431823194

 

uxsJhkP.png

 

TZiSPhZ.png

 

Seems like some changes have been made - the POLECATS banner colour is now white, the tyre track pattern is less detailed, they've removed the mention of CD-ROM, and obviously at least some of the logos are new (we can't see from these pics whether any studio logos at all were on the original).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Jake said:

This release seems fine? It has the soundtrack on CD, the return of the classic bandana, the Corley Motors keychain is a genuinely great idea, and the box looks good. Just ignore the other stuff if you don’t care about it. Limited Run makes boxes full of fun stuff, they aren’t the criterion collection. It would be cool to get very hallowed and grown up style criterion releases of these games because they’re things we liked as kids and are now very smart and tasteful adults, but also, eh. This is closer to what I imagine a deluxe version would have actually looked like in 1995 had it existed, and that’s fun to me too. 

 

Hmm. You make a good argument. You nearly persuaded me view it differently... but then I remembered it's $85. Not for me, but enjoy your purchase!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...