Home

That missing ending

Remi

I haven't had a lot of time to look at this, but going through the "EndStingers" resource files, there was only one that looks unfamiliar to me. It involves Guybrush crumpling up a document. The KTXBZ file looks like so...

image.png

Odds are that I'm spacing on something or simply that others got this ending while I didn't. Or?

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Could anything be linked to the pamphlet? I still don't know if it's possible to fill the last entry, about "committing murder". Dave Grossman said on Twitter that good actions are time-limited, like saving Wally for example, but bad actions aren't.

I don't know if that means something.

Ron Gilbert could also been talking about a side-ending, like Guybrush drowning, something we can only do somewhere specific in the game.

These images are fascinating, though!

6 minutes ago, Joe monsters said:

Could anything be linked to the pamphlet? I still don't know if it's possible to fill the last entry, about "committing murder". Dave Grossman said on Twitter that good actions are time-limited, like saving Wally for example, but bad actions aren't.

Ron Gilbert could also been talking about a side-ending, like Guybrush drowning, something we can only do somewhere specific in the game.

These images are fascinating, though!

Ron actually confirmed on Twitter it's not possible to complete the "murder those who get in your way" one in the pamphlet. 

• Wow 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Joe monsters said:

Dave Grossman said on Twitter that good actions are time-limited, like saving Wally for example, but bad actions aren't.

How is saving Wally "time limited" though?

23 minutes ago, Joe monsters said:

I think this is what it's likely to be.

I wonder if that "Docs" stinger was indeed related to finding the note in the treasure chest, though.

Is there a related anim file? If so it should be easy to trigger it by renaming the file and then triggering the renamed ending.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

17 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

How is saving Wally "time limited" though?

The shackles on LeChuck's ship are only available to be observed for the serial number in parts 2 and 3. Afterwards, they are taken from the ship to use to hold Wally captive. If players do not get the serial number before the end of part 3, or don't get the key before part 5, they can't rescue Wally at the end. 

21 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Is there a related anim file? If so it should be easy to trigger it by renaming the file and then triggering the renamed ending.

There is, 'EndStingers1_Docs.anim', inside Weird.ggpack1a.

Edited by Didero
Added quote box
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, demone said:

Ron actually confirmed on Twitter it's not possible to complete the "murder those who get in your way" one in the pamphlet. 

Oh, I didn't see that. My bad, then. I guess it does mean than, even though Guybrush can be terrible, he would never commit murder. I like that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Remi said:

I haven't had a lot of time to look at this, but going through the "EndStingers" resource files, there was only one that looks unfamiliar to me. It involves Guybrush crumpling up a document. The KTXBZ file looks like so...

Do you remember what GGPack that image was in?

Edit: Nevermind, it was 5a 👍

4 hours ago, demone said:

I wonder if it was at one point though. That squid positioned itself as your enemy only to die when you weren’t looking. Maybe originally guybrush killed the squid, which checked off the pamphlet, which unlocked the new ending, which killed the cat that ate the rat that lived in the house that jack built. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is what the "Docs" end sting looks like:

1DxeSYs.png

If you want to see it for yourself, plop this file next to the other "Weird.ggpack" files in your game directory, and then run Guybrush back up the stairs before getting the key: http://www.thunderpeel2001.com/Weird.ggpack6

It is literally just this image, however. I don't know if there's more to be found in order to trigger it to do anything else.

• Thanks 2
  • Wow 6

I guess the "original" secret was always going to be the plaque... but they had a second surprise for the player if they kept playing: The note. But they felt that was too 4th wall breaking even for MI, so they switched it for a joke secret... it literally being a t-shirt.

However I wonder if Guybrush originally tore up the note or something? And the post-credits scene is him piecing it back together again? It's intriguing. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 1:43 PM, ThunderPeel2001 said:

I guess the "original" secret was always going to be the plaque... but they had a second surprise for the player if they kept playing: The note. But they felt that was too 4th wall breaking even for MI, so they switched it for a joke secret... it literally being a t-shirt.

However I wonder if Guybrush originally tore up the note or something? And the post-credits scene is him piecing it back together again? It's intriguing. 

Maybe you still wouldn’t even get to read it until after the credits when he pieces it back together, and it goes in the scrapbook. 

• Like 1