Home

Your favorite ReMI island

Remi

You favorite island  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What IS your favorite island?

Although there wasn’t that much to do on Monkey Island, I really loved the art, music and atmosphere! And it felt even more  “different but in a way very much like home home” than Mêlèe to me. 

I know we are only talking about islands but my absolute favorite location was LeShip. 👌

I wish Brr Muda had a little bit more to it – Like, I wish the little seaside town you can see to the far right of the trials building, with Guybrush’s ship, was explorable. Melee island felt like the only fully realized town in the game, which is fine, it’s all about what’s necessary for telling the story. But I like towns and I wish there were more 😛

• Like 1

• Remi changed the title to Your favorite ReMI island

I'm a bit torn on this, because the 'old' islands don't really offer much new content and the new islands are a bit underdeveloped. I guess Brrr-Muda feels the most 'lived in' of the new islands, even though it only has three major locations. (Do all the people there live in town hall?)

If I had to go for my favourite location, it would be LeShip. And even there I don't know where the crew sleeps (except Guybrush, he sleeps in Murray's crate if he doesn't want his eyes pecked out.)

• Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

5 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I guess Brrr-Muda feels the most 'lived in' of the new islands, even though it only has three major locations. (Do all the people there live in town hall?)

Are all the people jailed in the QUARRY? There might be more prisoners than free people here, but I'm not sure if that was on purpose.

My kids and I joked that they were put in jail for speaking instead of grunting. ;)

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I'm a bit torn on this, because the 'old' islands don't really offer much new content and the new islands are a bit underdeveloped. I guess Brrr-Muda feels the most 'lived in' of the new islands, even though it only has three major locations. (Do all the people there live in town hall?)

If I had to go for my favourite location, it would be LeShip. And even there I don't know where the crew sleeps (except Guybrush, he sleeps in Murray's crate if he doesn't want his eyes pecked out.)

OK, if we are going to get technical about it. ¬

Brrr Muda --

image.png

As for LeShip, we only see a small part of it.

image.png

I know there isn't a lot to do there, but I love Terror Island. I love spooky stuff, and I think it really has a creepy vibe - love the art and the music. I like also the fact that we actually meet no one there besides Herman. It makes the encounter even funnier, IMO. The screams we heard are just from this frail and crazy old man. Also, the maze puzzle drove me insane. I was so happy when I figured it out.

• Chef's Kiss 1

12 minutes ago, Joe monsters said:

I know there isn't a lot to do there, but I love Terror Island. I love spooky stuff, and I think it really has a creepy vibe - love the art and the music. I like also the fact that we actually meet no one there besides Herman. It makes the encounter even funnier, IMO. The screams we heard are just from this frail and crazy old man. Also, the maze puzzle drove me insane. I was so happy when I figured it out.

Terror Island was my second choice. Its hostile flora/fauna remind me of the more grotesque parts of MI1, and I'm a sucker for Herman.

45 minutes ago, Joe monsters said:

I also voted for Terror. It's basically a parallel island to Dinky, just weirder.

I have the same problem as many mentioned, that Mêlée simply doesn't excite me anymore, especially as the first location, despite it being the objectively best and most fleshed out location.

When it was a surprise in the end of MI2 it was quite exciting and I would have loved to somehow get past the cones and explore the rest of it.

Mêlée was also redone before and better in EMI, twice even, with the whole post Charles L. Charles version of it.

Every other island felt incomplete, compared to Mêlée, and especially compared to the islands from the other games.

Perhaps I'd have liked less islands but all of them as complete and alive as Mêlèe.

That said, I was worried I wouldn't like Brrr Muda but it was my favorite, because of how alive it felt.

Terror really felt like it was incomplete, although Ron insists it was not. That he was asked about it in the interview speaks for itself though.

Return however is definitely larger than the sum of its parts and with the whole theme,  I think it fits that most locations were a little bit underwhelming.

LeShip though... loved it 😍 But not an island 🙄

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 8:14 PM, Joe monsters said:

To me Terror Island gives the impression there could have been or were more riddles to solve than end up being in the game. Anyone else has the same thought?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MichaelSon said:

To me Terror Island gives the impression there could have been or were more riddles to solve than end up being in the game. Anyone else has the same thought?

There weren't really many more puzzles at Dinky, was there? Fewer, I believe.

54 minutes ago, Remi said:

There weren't really many more puzzles at Dinky, was there? Fewer, I believe.

There's more to it than just the amount, e.g. density. The cave of Terror was quite substantial, and I love the puzzle with Flambé's hair and the use of the Xyzzy sign to get out in the end.

All other locations on the island seem to only contain 1 item to pick up with not much else to interact with. (Mind you this is from memory, and I should replay it before I can be sure about such things).

On 10/12/2022 at 8:00 PM, Remi said:

I also voted for Terror. It's basically a parallel island to Dinky, just weirder.

The remi detractors often point to terror island as proof that the game is unfinished but if you ask for their opinion on that island that only takes up a small part of the game and is home to nothing but herman toothrot and one navigation based puzzle, they’ll say “i love dinky, thanks for asking.”

1 hour ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

The remi detractors often point to terror island as proof that the game is unfinished but if you ask for their opinion on that island that only takes up a small part of the game and is home to nothing but herman toothrot and one navigation based puzzle, they’ll say “i love dinky, thanks for asking.”

ReMI detractors? Please don't spin it like that. In my experience the vast majority of discussion about the game is quite positive and constructive, especially on this forum. Even if, for example I, have some critical opinions of some aspects of the game that does not mean that I do not wholeheartedly love the package as a whole. (And if I didn't, I'd hope my opinion would be respected just as much, so long as I  speak it respectfully.)

Conversly the other games are loved too and got their fair share of valid and constructive criticism by fans (who love them). Would you call people who criticise the Monkey Wrench puzzle of MI2 "MI2 detractors"?

Game design is more than a numbers game. You can not simply say Dinky and Terror have the same amount of puzzles and characters and therefore they are equal in all aspects.

Exactly what might contribute to them being perceived differently to other islands or between different players is what we are trying to exchange about, by trying to put complex (and in this case quite recent and not fully matured) feelings into words.

Edited by Gins
typo
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gins said:

ReMI detractors? Please don't spin it like that. In my experience the vast majority of discussion about the game is quite positive and constructive, especially on this forum. Even if, for example I, have some critical opinions of some aspects of the game that does not mean that I do not wholeheartedly love the package as a whole. (And if I didn't, I'd hope my opinion would be respected just as much, so long as I  speak it respectfully.)

Conversly the other games are loved too and got their fair share of valid and constructive criticism by fans (who love them). Would you call people who criticise the Monkey Wrench puzzle of MI2 "MI2 detractors"?

Game design is more than a numbers game. You can not simply say Dinky and Terror have the same amount of puzzles and characters and therefore they are equal in all aspects.

Exactly what might contribute to them being perceived differently to other islands or between different players is what we are trying to exchange about, by trying to put complex (and in this case quite recent and not fully matured) feelings into words.

I wasn’t talking about you. Sorry if it came off that way. I hadn’t actually seen your comment. I was talking more generally but i was pretty much picturing all of the nonsense going on at the subreddit atm. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JacquesSparkyTail said:

I wasn’t talking about you. Sorry if it came off that way. I hadn’t actually seen your comment. I was talking more generally but i was pretty much picturing all of the nonsense going on at the subreddit atm. 

Yeah, sorry I probably came across a bit strong myself, and felt spoken to, since I just mentioned Terror a post or so above. There are probably a lot of more aggressive opinions at display in other places... 😬

Really so happy that everyone here is so civil about everything 😁

• Like 1