Home

ThimbleMonkey - ReMI file viewer GUI - v1.0.0 - 2023-01-22

Didero

Because I wanted to be able to take a better look at the ReMI game files, I made a viewer to do exactly that! Presenting:

ThimbleMonkey

(screenshot in spoiler)

Spoiler

ThimbleMonkey screenshot

It's build in Python 3.8 with PySide (based on Qt), so it should work on Windows, Linux, and MacOS. There is an explanation on how to run it in the included readme on the linked GitHub page. To run it on Windows and MacOS, simply download the compiled executable from here, unzip it, and run ThimbleMonkey. The readme also has an explanation on how to run the Python scripts directly on Windows, Linux, and MacOS.

This is version 0.0.1 because it isn't entirely finished or feature-complete, but I wanted to release it now to encourage file mining. Plus I'm going on vacation now and I didn't want to let this project uselessly linger on my harddrive during that time. [crossed out because no longer relevant].

This code, like my MonkeyPack project is heavily based on Dinky Explorer (previously Thimbleweed Park Explorer), so thanks!

I hope you all enjoy!

Edited by Didero
Update title for new version
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Christmas break means time for programming, so I've finally finalized an update for ThimbleMonkey! The major additions are support for Thimbleweed Park and Delores (mostly), and support for opening the soundbanks ('.assets.bank' files in ReMI, they contain the music and the voiceclips).

A more detailed list of additions:
- Support for opening Thimbleweed Park and Delores files
- Opening file entries is now done with a single click instead of a double click, saving quite a lot of clicking
- Expanded Dink script parsing, now the script is partially decompiled. Navigating the script view is now easier too
- Better error handling, now an error message popup is shown when something goes wrong
- Added commandline argument 'filter' where you can specify a file filter on start (Mainly useful for me during development, but maybe it's useful for other people too)
- Renamed the 'Export current tab data' menu entry to 'Convert and save tab data', to make differentiate it more clearly from just saving
- Support for opening the '.assets.bank' soundbanks in Return To Monkey Island, and for playing the sounds in Thimbleweed Park
- Various bugfixes and small improvements

Download the Windows version here, or get the code for other OSes here. Enjoy!

• Thanks 2
  • Chef's Kiss 1

• Didero changed the title to ThimbleMonkey - ReMI file viewer GUI - v0.1.0 - 2022-27-12

Oh right, I completely forgot to add to the readme that you need libogg and libvorbis, sorry!

I've updated it, there's now a section with how to get those libraries at the end of the 'Initial setup' section of the readme.

I can't test it for MacOS but it should (hopefully) work, please let me know!

And glad to hear you like ThimbleMonkey :)

• Like 2

Apparently there's an issue with running ThimbleMonkey on Macs with an M1 or Apple Silicon chip, specifically with playing the .ogg files inside the Thimbleweed Park files and sounds from the .assets.bank soundbank files of Return To Monkey Island.

Is there anybody here besides Blondebeard who has tried running this on an M1 Mac? Together we've tried a bunch of possible solutions and nothing seems to work, and I'm not familiar with Macs so I've run out of ideas for possible solutions. So I'm hoping it's some sort of config problem somewhere. The things we've tried can be seen in this GitHub issue.

Does anybody more familiar with M1 Macs have any idea what could cause this?

• Like 1

Ok, after a lot of trial, error, and testing (thanks for all your help, Blondebeard!), I can finally say that loading, playing, and saving sounds now works, both from Thimbleweed Park .ogg files and RtMI .assets.bank soundbanks, on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

I've also fixed an error with saving RtMI's ktxb images, and I made the 'filter' field case-insensitive for all platforms, not just Windows. Plus, there's now a pre-built executable for MacOS too. Download version 0.1.3 here!

• Thanks 2
  • Chef's Kiss 2

• Didero changed the title to ThimbleMonkey - ReMI file viewer GUI - v0.1.3 - 2023-01-05

Oh no :(

Can you post a screenshot of what that folder looks like in Finder? Hopefully it's just a simple problem with filename case or something...

Ok, this is because on MacOS, the games are packed into an .app executable folder.

Luckily it wasn't too hard to fix, so I made a new release.

The fix has the bonus side-effect that on Windows and Linux, you no longer have to remember to go into the 'Resources' subfolder for Thimbleweed Park.

It also displays Delores .yack and .nut files, since I was messing around with that anyway so might as well release that while I'm at it.

I should have caught this issue sooner, but I was testing on my MacOS VM with files copied over from Windows. Now I actually installed the games on MacOS, so my testing will be more accurate in the future.

Edited by Didero
Found a solution, made new release
  • Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

• Didero changed the title to ThimbleMonkey - ReMI file viewer GUI - v1.0.0 - 2023-01-22

I've finally implemented all the changes and additions I wanted, and ThimbleMonkey now supports all the most important files (except ReMI .yack and .dinky parsing isn't complete yet). ThimbleMonkey feels complete enough now to declare this new release version 1.0.0!

This release has more save options (current tab, open tabs, filtered files, all files), it shows a progress bar while saving, and it supports drag-and-dropping folders to load. It also has bugfixes for loading some file types, and it fixes a possible freeze when loading certain images.

I still have some ideas for things to add, but I feel ThimbleMonkey's file extracting features are complete now. Feelin' pretty proud of this project :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2