Home

Veni, Vidi, and all I got was this stupid stylus

Gins

Players who played a fair share of Secret may be familiar with the anachronistic joke regarding not just one but two T-shirts.

Is it anacronistic though, if the same joke has already been used in ancient Rome?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/07/a-2000-year-old-stylus-makes-a-point-about-ancient-roman-humor/

I've found this article a while ago and figured some stupid t-shirt fans (fans of stupid t-shirts, not stupid fans of t-shirts) might not know how old that joke really seems to be and get a laugh out of it.

Feel free to use the thread for similar obscure factoids, as I expect that one alone to get a few reaction emojis at best 😁

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

To be clear, the stylus said: "I have come from the City. I bring you a welcome gift with a sharp point that you may remember me. I ask, if fortune allowed, that I might be able to give as generously, as the way is long and as my purse is empty."

It's the journalist who quipped that this was the ancient equivalent of "I went to Rome, and all I brought you was this pen."

Still, it's so interesting to read how people haven't changed . Tourists will be tourists... and the graffiti on Ramses VI's tomb feel so internet-comment-section it's unbelievable:

“I visited, and I did not like anything except the sarcophagus!"

"I cannot read the hieroglyphs!”

“Why do you care that you cannot read the hieroglyphs? I do not understand your concern.”

People haven't changed at all! 

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

To be clear, the stylus said: "I have come from the City. I bring you a welcome gift with a sharp point that you may remember me. I ask, if fortune allowed, that I might be able to give as generously, as the way is long and as my purse is empty."

Thanks for posting the exact quote from the article, I may have promised a little too much with my description :D

19 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

“I visited, and I did not like anything except the sarcophagus!"

"I cannot read the hieroglyphs!”

“Why do you care that you cannot read the hieroglyphs? I do not understand your concern.”

I loved that part too, it's indeed hilarious how many things that appear modern have existed in a similar (eerily so in that case) way thousands of years ago. Maybe even grog machines!

• Like 1